HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
On these blazing hot 100 degree days, does construction continue at normal rate? Do they work at night also? Cooler.
Yeah I believe they work as normal. In the valleys and IE where 100 is normal on a summer day they still work

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 3:10 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I agree. And plant some native live oak and sycamore trees too. Trees clean the air and provide shade. Would love to see the entire L.A. River restored to the riparian woodlands that once existed with willows, sycamores & oaks.
Agree completely except for the sycamore part, really dislike that tree. Instead of sycamores maybe the jacaranda. I know the sycamore is native but personally dislike it.

Also agree with colemonkee I don't understand why they tear out mature palms and trees where they intend to make a park and not incorporate to the design. I hope they incorporate the palms and trees in that park in Chinatown.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:12 AM

Last edited by Prahaboheme; Sep 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

OMG: Apple Store “Done Deal” for Tower Theatre in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2017/09/01/app...e-downtown-la/

so wonderful to see old parts of dtla being restored...brought back to life.

I'll always wonder if anything could have been done over 40 yrs ago to have sped up the process.....so what's going on today could have occurred in 2003, what happened in 2003 could have happened in 1993... & so on & so forth.

but the important thing is these changes....long overdue....are finally taking place!

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:49 AM

Of course it’s not as exciting as it would have been in 2010. At the time, everyone wanted an Apple store. Now, everyone has an Apple store. But it’s the first really huge, mainstream retail brand, so it bring a bit more legitimacy to the street. Although here, Apple is somewhat of a follower rather than a pioneer. There seems to be a strong retail momentum going on with or without Apple. Although I still give them credit for the “courage” to open up here when there’s probably still some reluctance lingering from other safe brands.

In terms of using it as a theater, I think I remember reading originally that they are. That it would use the stage as something of a music space(?) inside the apple store. If so, it means the store will be much more of a destination than others Apple locations.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:56 AM

Here’s the Freehand hotel bar, Broken Shaker, which Eater calls one of the most celebrated bars in America. It opens today.

https://la.eater.com/2017/8/29/16221...ls-open-photos

The Exchange restaurant serving Israeli food downstairs is bright and beautiful.

And in the arts, it seems like ICA LA is ready for it’s opening next week.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 4:59 PM

Was at broken shaker last night.. It's awesome. Very relaxed vibe, great drinks and the food at the exchange is top notch

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Was at broken shaker last night.. It's awesome. Very relaxed vibe, great drinks and the food at the exchange is top notch
Great to hear! I'll check this out tonight.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 6:11 PM

It's been exactly a year when Wilshire Grand became the tallest in LA.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 9:50 PM

The Metropolis cam stopped updating a week ago.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
It's been exactly a year when Wilshire Grand became the tallest in LA.
Tallest*

It should always have an asterisk next to it like Barry Bonds' so-called home run record.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1272 View Post
Tallest*

It should always have an asterisk next to it like Barry Bonds' so-called home run record.
LOL, right? It's almost 100ft shorter than US Bank if you don't count the spire and sail.

I see more architectural beauty in the US Bank than I do Wilshire Grand. By far my favorite building in DTLA.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Tallest*

I think it's time to put away this whole argument. Because if you want to say the spire doesn't count, that means throwing out all spires in general. And that's a bigger problem. As someone who used to be really into climbing buildings, I can tell you that it definitely represents a new highest point in the skyline

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
I think it's time to put away this whole argument. Because if you want to say the spire doesn't count, that means throwing out all spires in general. And that's a bigger problem. As someone who used to be really into climbing buildings, I can tell you that it definitely represents a new highest point in the skyline
Or just have two categories:

1. height of roof above highest floor where people are or can be (including observation decks and helipads).

2. height of highest point on building, including crowns, spires, etc. (flagpoles and antennae are sometimes excluded from this height measure).

In terms of height of roof above highest floor (category 1), US Bank is taller than both Wilshire Grand & Salesforce.

In my opinion, #1 has some validity. It is functional height, not decorative height. When a short person puts on a top hat or wears elevator shoes, is he really taller?

It would be funny if US Bank somehow was able to put up a spire that wouldn't be in the way of the helipad and go up to 1110' or so. Voila!--numero uno again!

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 5, 2017 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 2:44 PM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:34 PM

https://la.eater.com/2017/7/24/16017...-photos-inside

I'm a little late but I
1. Didn't know that Don Franciscos was an LA coffee brand and
2. They just opened their first store about a month ago downtown.

I think this is a big deal because In order to get all of this new ground floor retail leased up, we need smaller lesser known brands to move in. Seeing a starbucks, subway and other generic brands on every other corner is just getting ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 11:54 PM

Come on guys you should know better. I thought the argument was over a long time ago. It is what it is and the WG complements the USBT.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:39 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Come on guys you should know better. I thought the argument was over a long time ago. It is what it is and the WG complements the USBT.
Yes, get over it people. Even I'm not a big fan of this particular spire, but it's there and will never come down. I guess it's just that Angelenos aren't used to spires, but they're pretty damn common around the nation and world.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Tallest*

Barry Bonds home run record is 100% legit.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Yes, get over it people. Even I'm not a big fan of this particular spire, but it's there and will never come down. I guess it's just that Angelenos aren't used to spires, but they're pretty damn common around the nation and world.
I think that the argument should not be so much about the legitimacy of a true spire and its added height to any building, but rather in the WG's case as it appears to be cosmetically nothing more than a glorified flag pole. It seems to have been placed in the design to add nothing more than an extra 82 feet in height, thus beating out the Salesforce tower by 82 feet, or 130 feet, or whatever. All of us realize that this is very much about "phallic supremacy." I mean just look at the nations where they are trying to design and build the tallest structures in the world, even though the demand is not there--just what are they trying to prove?

Last edited by Wilcal; Sep 6, 2017 at 6:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations