HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister f View Post
this thread: Grumpy old men complain about kids these days.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 1:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We Gen Xers did have a better party scene than these Millennial nitwits.

Their idea of partying is to sit next to eachother while drinking and taking selfies and post them on Instagram. So douchey....

Meanwhile, we had 4 story nightclubs with a different scene on each level, and we actually talked to eachother and women

haha yeah but not so fast — a healthier lifestyle outlook means millenials and now gen z are much, much better at using all hours of the day — around here the wealthy ones like no alcohol dance parties and other events first thing in the morning or in clubs early at happy hour times ie., daybreaker, the get down, vitamin d, conscious family dinner, kundaliani disco, dusk, club soda nyc, the shine and other events that come and go.

we even tried daybreaker, which is a 7am dance party, and the get down, which is a happy hour party in a club, and they were both a lot of no boozy no druggy fun — so maybe lets give them credit — they are on to something good and healthy at least (or lame, rather culty and corporate? perhaps that too).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 1:52 PM
The City

But that’s just it, I don’t think Millennials drink less. I just think they are more boring. And they stare at their phones all day

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
But that’s just it, I don’t think Millennials drink less. I just think they are more boring. And they stare at their phones all day
I was born more than a half century ago, and I stare a my phone all the time and am boring, I admit, but that doesn't make me a bad person.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:27 PM
The City

^ It makes you a bad person

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
we only have the rich ones in my neighborhood. they are with their trainers and at the gyms and coffee shops by 7am on saturday and sunday. we have noticed this trend since last summer. weekend mornings are like after work rush hour for these millenials. then the tourists show up, so its no weekend break at all anymore.
I assume you're referring to either NoMad, SoHo, Chelsea or Murray Hill.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:35 AM

Gen X literally had a show about Gen Xers hanging out in a coffee shop, not a bar, and it was the most popular show among that age group on TV. So besides the fact that generation war is dumb... How stupid is this article for thinking that NYC applies to the rest of the US? LA is nothing like NYC, DC is nothing like NYC, Chicago is nothing like NYC, Dallas is nothing like NYC.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
^ It makes you a bad person
Okay, maybe, but I can't allow myself to admit it. I feel like I've been set up.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:25 AM

Millenials live a self-absorbed culture, but they weren’t any douchier than Gen X. They at least shower and take care of themselves. GenX men were the most disgusting. A bunch of clowns. Greasy, middle-parted hair, stupid goatee, pulling up their pants every 4 steps, showing off their flabby butts in underwear, knee shorts and Limp Bizkit playing in high school hallways. Maybe the only time in recorded history where we had an epidemic of pants falling down.

And I applaud Millenials for killing off all those Leonardo Dicaprio pussy-posse red velvet rope clubs that infected LA in the 90s. Those douchey clubs fell out of style with this new generation. They’re much more cultured in a lot of respects. They drink wine, eat ethnic food and demand more of the America culinary scene than the basic bitchness of pizza and sandwiches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xevjs_dtkk8

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Millenials live a self-absorbed culture, but they weren’t any douchier than Gen X. They at least shower and take care of themselves. GenX men were the most disgusting. A bunch of clowns. Greasy, middle-parted hair, stupid goatee, pulling up their pants every 4 steps, showing off their flabby butts in underwear, knee shorts and Limp Bizkit playing in high school hallways. Maybe the only time in recorded history where we had an epidemic of pants falling down.

And I applaud Millenials for killing off all those Leonardo Dicaprio pussy-posse red velvet rope clubs that infected LA in the 90s. Those douchey clubs fell out of style with this new generation. They’re much more cultured in a lot of respects. They drink wine, eat ethnic food and demand more of the America culinary scene than the basic bitchness of pizza and sandwiches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xevjs_dtkk8
Limp Bizkit [1999-2000] in high school would be the time frame of the absolutely youngest GenXers and possibly infringing into the oldest millennial territory.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:38 PM
The City

^ Exactly. Limp Bizkit always felt like more of a “younger than me” thing and I’m a Gen Xer.

Gen Xers listened to rock, Alternative rock (Pixies, Nirvana) as well as the very first generation of Rap and Gangsta Rap, as well as techno. Don’t even think about trying to diss our music.

Millennial music carries the same half-interested feel as your typical Millennial who is staring at his Android while having a conversation. Music is just “a background pleasantry” while I’m focused on something else.

Gen Xers were passionate about our music. We closed our eyes, tuned everything out, and really engaged in it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

at 42 i'm at the very young end of gen x, and i define gen x as being book-ended by two ridiculously awesome bands:

van halen

to

nirvana

limp bizkit is some other stupid fucking generation.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:48 PM
The City

^ The hip hop version of that bookend would be:

Run DMC

To

Tupac

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:

Millennials do drink a little less than Xers did. This is backed up by declining alcohol sales, along with self-reported use of alcohol among younger people being significantly lower than 20 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I assume you're referring to either NoMad, SoHo, Chelsea or Murray Hill.
actually wv/meatpacking, but yeah those neighborhoods too among others.

not just manhattan though, this is philly:

http://www2.philly.com/philly/health...-20180806.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Millennials do drink a little less than Xers did. This is backed up by declining alcohol sales, along with self-reported use of alcohol among younger people being significantly lower than 20 years ago.
I thought it was Gen Z that drinks less? If Gen Y (Millennials) are drinking less than Gen X, it's only because other options are less stigmatized in this era...

I do a lot less late night night life now than I used to. At first, I blamed that on being in my 30s, but I also think there is a cultural shift to doing nightlife things earlier in the day. In Brooklyn, there are more venues that are dedicated to parties during the day than when I was in my 20s.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, alcohol sales have been increasing. Not sure where you get the idea that they are falling.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:22 PM

If gen z is the next one up, does that mean the end is nigh?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No, alcohol sales have been increasing. Not sure where you get the idea that they are falling.
Here's an article from January which says they fell for two consecutive years. The drop is due to beer consumption - liquor sales are up.

Maybe you mean the $ involved in alcohol are increasing, even though the gallons are decreasing? This would be feasible, if people are buying more expensive drinks.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:49 PM

[QUOTE=iheartthed;8353489]I thought it was Gen Z that drinks less? If Gen Y (Millennials) are drinking less than Gen X, it's only because other options are less stigmatized in this era.../QUOTE]

Gen Z are still teenagers. None of them can drink legally.

Teen drinking has been steadily going down for years though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions