HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6381  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:53 PM
Pencil's Avatar
Pencil Pencil is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Future SLC resident
Posts: 83
Block 67

"Salt Lake City approves $15 million loan for huge downtown parking garage"
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/12/...city-approves/

Last edited by Pencil; Dec 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6382  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:13 PM
nushiof nushiof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 157
Great stuff happening.

Does anyone have an update on the Convention Center Hotel? Groundbreaking date? Operator? I thought we'd know that stuff before year end.

Once the CCH breaks ground, we'll have 4 major projects in the works!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6383  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:47 PM
Always Sunny in SLC Always Sunny in SLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Great stuff happening.

Does anyone have an update on the Convention Center Hotel? Groundbreaking date? Operator? I thought we'd know that stuff before year end.

Once the CCH breaks ground, we'll have 4 major projects in the works!
I don't know of a project that is more of a tease than this one. I am stunned that with State, County and City help this project isn't just a slam dunk, but obviously there keeps being hang ups and resets. My guess is they are having a hard time finding an operator.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6384  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:28 PM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 239
Just came across this design for a building that's under construction in St. Louis (and I think it is actually looking better than the render) called "One Hundred." Do you guys think a building like this would look good in Salt Lake City? It's about the same size as most of the designs for towers in SLC, but ours seem to be much more conservative (boring, some would say) than this.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6385  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:08 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I don't know of a project that is more of a tease than this one. I am stunned that with State, County and City help this project isn't just a slam dunk, but obviously there keeps being hang ups and resets. My guess is they are having a hard time finding an operator.
Guys, it takes some time to produce the documents for building permit and construction. So, it's probably gearing up for the first permits of demolition and excavation to be submitted by the first quarter of this year. I bet that we will see some action on the site in early spring of 2020.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6386  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:08 PM
Always Sunny in SLC Always Sunny in SLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Guys, it takes some time to produce the documents for building permit and construction. So, it's probably gearing up for the first permits of demolition and excavation to be submitted by the first quarter of this year. I bet that we will see some action on the site in early spring of 2020.
My comments are about the long saga and not just the latest iteration of CCH. The CCH has had more stop and starts than my younger self learning to drive a clutch. With that said the initial information stated an end of 2019 start so not hearing anything with 2.5 weeks left in the year sounds like a delay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6387  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:50 PM
Merewether's Avatar
Merewether Merewether is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 8410*
Posts: 186
Salt Lake City Planning Division survey on affordable housing. This seems specifically for residents of the city proper.
https://www.slc.gov/planning/2019/12...using-overlay/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6388  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
I'm not speaking for Hatman, but free transit would allow people to live in the cheaper suburbs and still make it to downtown for work without the high cost of commuting in their own vehicle (plus all the other benefits of fewer cars on the road, less polution, etc.). I think that was what he was referring to (sorry if I'm wrong, Hatman, but I'll go ahead and make the statement for myself either way).
You stated my position very well.

And thanks, Bob_rulz, for disagreeing nicely while I am angry. You are a first-rate forumer.

I am very much in favor of using government assistance to help out people who need it, and I'm disheartened about what a mess these assistance systems are. My own criteria is that these ought to provide equal opportunities for all residents. It is when equality is extended past opportunities to equal outcomes that I disagree. People are different and should not be made to be equal. The same goes for groups of people.
When it comes to living downtown, I don't see a way to provide an equal opportunity to have everyone live downtown. What we can do is guarantee that everyone has access to downtown. Hence my position against subsidized housing for some and pro free transit for all.

However I acknowledge that theory is often incompatible with the real world and that there is value in running a real experiment. I only wish that this experiment with subsidized housing wasn't given so much priority that people are cheering on the destruction of the old Theater.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6389  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM
UrbanFlaneur UrbanFlaneur is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Great stuff happening.

Does anyone have an update on the Convention Center Hotel? Groundbreaking date? Operator? I thought we'd know that stuff before year end.

Once the CCH breaks ground, we'll have 4 major projects in the works!
I heard from a source last week that plans are to begin site work on the CCH sometime in February.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6390  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:39 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Just came across this design for a building that's under construction in St. Louis (and I think it is actually looking better than the render) called "One Hundred." Do you guys think a building like this would look good in Salt Lake City? It's about the same size as most of the designs for towers in SLC, but ours seem to be much more conservative (boring, some would say) than this.

The building looks kinda strange for me. However it could make for a nice crown portion of a building. Maybe I’m too old fashion taste wise. It wouldn’t bother me though. Maybe if the building were taller it would work even better too. Gotta give them credit though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6391  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:54 PM
SLC PopPunk SLC PopPunk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Construction fencing is now up at the Birdie site. Hopefully excavation begins soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6392  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:33 PM
nushiof nushiof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 157
Temporary chain link fencing is being installed on the Carl's Jr./Kensington lot this morning near the billboard. Cars are still coming through the drive-through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6393  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:08 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,137
/\/\/\ I think it's a race between Kensington and Hines. Not sure if both can or will be built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6394  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:32 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
/\/\/\ I think it's a race between Kensington and Hines. Not sure if both can or will be built.
Yeah, that’s my concern. Kensington and Liberty Sky, seems to be enough high end Apartments for a while. Was there a rough time table given on the Hines project?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6395  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:45 PM
LeroyJenkins LeroyJenkins is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Temporary chain link fencing is being installed on the Carl's Jr./Kensington lot this morning near the billboard. Cars are still coming through the drive-through.
This is for early foundation testing to be done. It will be back to normal in no time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6396  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:46 PM
LeroyJenkins LeroyJenkins is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFlaneur View Post
I heard from a source last week that plans are to begin site work on the CCH sometime in February.
Our source also says early to mid February 2020. Exciting times for SLC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.