HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:18 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

77 Van Ness looks great. I'd love to see a few more of those in downtown LA. Mind if we borrow it for awhile?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:20 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
77 Van Ness looks great. I'd love to see a few more of those in downtown LA. Mind if we borrow it for awhile?
Might as well borrow it 'cause we don't have any use for it now, unfortunately. I don't think that you're exactly booming economically either though.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2009

Rendering Reveal: The Future Home of a Tenderloin Grocer

Transbay Blog calls them the "Tenderloin Trio," three just-finished or upcoming projects geared toward low-income or chronically homeless families. At the pace Tenderloin Neighborhood Development's going though, they won't be just a trio for long. The three: 125 Mason, its recently covered neighbor at 149 Mason, and a further off mixed-use project at Eddy and Taylor that should bring a much-needed grocer to the Tenderloin's liquor-store heaven (last we heard, Grocery Outlet was in talks, after British grocer Fresh & Easy took one look and bailed). The plan is for 143 units, split between one-, two-, and three-bedrooms, plus bicycle parking. The chipper design you're looking at is courtesy architects David Baker + Partners, the guys responsible for the award-winning Curran House Apartments just a few yards down. Looks like the three musketeers will have to wait for the third though— ETA is 2012.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...oin_grocer.php

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 6:04 AM

Great building. I wish David Baker built more.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 6:46 AM

That is a gorgeous building.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 4:26 PM
Only Mostly Dead

More quality architecture for the Tenderloin, and it's all geared to low income housing. It seems counterintuitive. You would think they would be more inclined to pursue value engineering and cut costs by eliminating anything "extraneous" like good design. Instead, they are more willing to push the limits. Not having to market these to anyone, I guess they don't succumb to lowest common denominator thinking that results from fear of offending potential buyers.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:26 AM

An interesting thought. That may be part of it… but I have a tendency to think the main reason we’re seeing more innovative design in the ‘subsidized’ projects is that the numerous parties involved in “THE PROCESS” (everybody from the neighborhood groups to the developers, city planners and micro-managing Supervisors) are simply more politically invested in seeing these projects through. An architect, if truly left to his own devices, is going to innovate... but if he knows (from experience) that whatever he comes up with is just going to get dumbed-down to utter mediocity in the end, then there's not going to be much design effort thrown on the project in the first place. If an interesting looking building like this were proposed in almost any other neighborhood in the City, you know who’d be the first-line of defense against it: NIMBY Neighborhood Groups (NNGs)! God save our ever-so-precious City.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:50 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Good points. It's an interesting phenomenon that at least is working out well for this neighborhood. Plus, another surface lot will bite the dust.

Speaking of the area, I walked by 149 Mason today, but it hasn't changed much since the last time.

I also walked down the Geary side of One Kearny, which is further along than the Market side:

So, we can get a much better idea of how it will look when the various elements come together:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:54 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Interesting that they used that French tile so much in the 1 Kearney project. You see it all over Toulouse, well at least in new buildings.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 6:45 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Speaking of the area, I walked by 149 Mason today, but it hasn't changed much since the last time. I also walked down the Geary side of One Kearny, which is further along than the Market side, so we can get a much better idea of how it will look when the various elements come together.
It doesn't look to me as if the elements will ever come together, especially on the Geary Street back side.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 7:18 AM
Only Mostly Dead

You mean between the old and the new (totally agree, but also feel this is by design to make it read as a separate building) or just within the new? I've been really worried looking at the Market side that the "brick", black vent-looking stuff and glass were going to be a total mismatch with each other. I don't really like the overall look, but the three elements don't clash with each other like I thought they would.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
...this is by design to make it read as a separate building..., but the three elements don't clash with each other...
Yes, the original building needs to read almost as a separate building, so that the original building form is more presearved. Such visible projects need to satisfy these requirements to be approved in San Francisco, especially where the original architecture is of some special or historic significance. Contrast or clear distinction between old and new while also harmonious usually by some alignment of neighboring architectural features is encouraged and intentional.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 8:22 PM
BANNED

My almost least favorite San Francisco building is about to be my ex-almost least favorite:

Quote:
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2009
The Teardown Begins (Soon-ish?) at 525 Golden Gate

What's the opposite word for "shovel-ready"? For a week or two now, the old building at Golden Gate and Polk has been getting scaffolding and walkways to ready it for its impending destruction. In its place, sometime in the not very near, but not awfully distant future: a new, super-eco Public Utilities Commission building for the Civic Center, if all goes well. Let's see how fast this building comes down first.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...eader_comments

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 5:46 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
My almost least favorite San Francisco building is about to be my ex-almost least favorite
Congratulations to you and all of us!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 2:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, February 13, 2009
Bay Area colleges halt major construction
Economic winter freezes state funding for projects
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres San Francisco Business Times

The State of California has frozen funding for major construction projects at Bay Area state-funded colleges after its bond revenue took a hit.

The standstill means millions in additional costs and hundreds of jobs lost associated with more than 130 projects on the 23 California State University campuses, 150 projects on California’s community college campuses and more than 70 projects on UC campuses.

San Francisco State University halted a $116 million renovation of its main student library and California State University-East Bay stalled work on a $44 million administration and student services building.

Other projects on hold include $80 million for new buildings at City College of San Francisco, $26 million in renovations on buildings at UC Berkeley, and $35 million for facilities and technology for outreach programs for underserved patients at UCSF.

Last December, the state decided to hold back funding about 2,000 projects ranging from schools and college campuses to road and park improvements.

The medical school plans to expand its class size by 10 percent and focus on training students with the most modern technology such as conducting doctor visits through video conferencing.

“Anytime you have a project of a maginitude on a campus like UCSF, the timeline has to be carefully managed,” said Doug Levy, an aide for USCF’s dean. “Our timeline is now thrown off.”

The new CSU-East Bay building was about two-thirds done when the state ordered work to stop. The project needed about $16 million to finish.

“It was enough that we could not afford to fund the rest,” said Shawn Bibb, vice president of administration and finance at CSU-East Bay. “I don’t have that kind of money lying around.”

CSU-East Bay had to pay the project’s contractor, Benicia-based Lathrop Construction, $3.5 million for work completed in November and December out of its own budget. Restarting the construction could add $1.5 million in costs.

It is unclear how long it will take to restart projects, CSU’s Bibb said. The state must first pass a budget, improve its bond rating, raise funds and give schools the green light — a process that could take several months.

SF State’s library was supposed to be complete by 2011. The project’s contractor, Barnhart Inc., had about 200 workers on the site before they had to halt work, said Leroy Morishita, vice president for administration and finance and chief financial officer at SF State.

“It’s only going to cost us more money,” he said.

Email Blanca Torres at btorres@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4960
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

So I am left wondering about the CCSF tower in Chinatown and the UCSF hospital in Mission Bay.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 4:15 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I was afraid this was going to happen. I assume the $90M for CCSF was for excavation and foundation work on the new Chinatown campus. Nothing has happened onsite since the last update in the thread for those buildings. And it sounds like it will be several months before anything does.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 5:28 AM
Green Berniecrat

This explains the slowdown at UC Davis too. A while back we has renovations of some buildings and you could see activity. Now, when I walk to and from classes across campus, I don't see anyone working anymore. Looks like these might be finished after I graduate (I hope so at least).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 6:29 AM
Waiting for what's next..

If not "soonish" then parhaps "longish awayish constructionish ?

BTinSF,

Quote:
My almost least favorite San Francisco building is about to be my ex-almost least favorite:
Just guessing, of course, but how about - "Money Pit" or perhaps "parking lot"?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post
BTinSF,
Just guessing, of course, but how about - "Money Pit" or perhaps "parking lot"?
I'm not sure what you're saying but if you're saying this lot is likely to be a parking lot for a while, I'd prefer that to the rotting homeless haven and overwhelming pink blankness that's been there since 1989.

The BizTimes did suggest that the city has some reason to think they'll corral enough "stimulus" bucks to build the building, though, and then there's the mayor's local "stimulus" effort oncoming (complete with bond issue in the fall which I can't imagine actually passing) which could include construction of some version of this building.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 9:14 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying...
BT, you got it right. I was thinking parking lot or (no income) money pit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations