HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:55 PM

It seems the high rise boom is continuing in Waterloo-Kitchener with a proposal for a 44s tower.

https://outline.com/xVJbWJ

Hopefully developers like Ayerswood at Clarence and King and others around the downtown core consider going higher then 40s for future buildings. There is ZERO reason to restrict heights in the downtown core. We need density and thousands of additional residents to live downtown to lift it out of the worst urban wasteland London's core has ever experienced.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:24 PM

Could we be getting an Amazon fulfillment center at the old Talbotville Ford plant?

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...local-mega-hub

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Could we be getting an Amazon fulfillment center at the old Talbotville Ford plant?

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...local-mega-hub

that would be great (esp. for St. Thomas). I thought that the closed plant was mostly bulldozed?

Quote:
The plant had been largely demolished by the end of 2016, with only the wastewater treatment facility left standing as of February 2017
wikipedia

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:07 PM

Yes, the Ford plant is completely gone. Would be a perfect spot for Amazon, and being across the road from the city limits, the taxes are probably better. Also mentioned are the new delivery depots. I knew the one was going in at the old Summit Foods building, which I commented on in another thread, but I had heard that new building at the airport was theirs as well. Which seemed odd that they would go in 2 locations so close together. Will be interesting to hear the speculation going forward about Talbotville though.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:29 PM

This would be great news for London and St.Thomas.

London has a very enviable physical position being right smack dab in the middle of SWO with freeways going out in all directions, excellent rail connections, over 750,000 people within a 60 km radius, and within easy driving distance of 3 US border crossings points.

The land itself is also ideal. The Ford plant being destroyed actually makes it MORE enticing because the land is cleared and yet the needed underground infrastructure and parking remains which saves a lot of time and money.

If this goes thru it would have the benefit of finally kick starting a new regular transit route between London & St.Thomas.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:55 PM

I'm curious to see if they are interested in the entire property which I believe is over 250 acres or just a portion of it. Amazon fulfillment centers are usually between 400,000 and 1,000,000 sq feet. Would they buy it all and build on the smaller scale first and then expand using the other acres at a later date? Their other properties are next to the airport which could see an increase in air freight flights in and out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:11 AM

The surface parking lot across from the convention center is hitting the market for a reported asking price of $40M. 4 acres of prime downtown land is being offered with dreams of hotel, high rises and transit hub for GoTrain station.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/prime-down...-40m-1.5467337

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:20 PM

Will be interesting to see how this progresses.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...could-be-yours

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 6:03 PM

It's been on the market for quite a while so I don't really think this is news. That said I had no idea they were asking anything even close to $40 million. For a large development that is still affordable but I was hoping for a major grocery store but at that price it would never get built.

I do agree with the heritage advocate that London should be focusing on filling up all the empty parking lots before it contemplates tearing down some of it's historic buildings.

Pray God that Farhi doesn't get his hands on it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 6:45 PM

I would be very surprised if it actually sells for $40M. And if it does it would be to someone with big plans for the site. I suspect both York and Old Oaks have maxed out their near term project plans and fiscal capacity. Tricar might take a serious look or even Drewlo and Auburn. Maybe a GTA area developer might see an opportunity to get into the London market and take a hard look. I don't see a large office development given the current market or even Hotel. Most likely we are looking at high rise residential with some ground floor retail and multiple levels of under and above ground parking. Then again it might be purchased and just kept as a surface parking lot as a potential future site depending on how the market plays out 10 years from now. I am curious who the current owner is and why they have held onto it so long. There must be a story there to tell.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:04 PM

So how long will it be before we hear about the development proposal for new Arva subdivisions? The lands immediately west of the cemetery and east of Medway high-school along Medway Rd are likely already owned or optioned to developers now. I would imagine the pressure will be on the County soon to approve new housing developments here. By 2025? 2030? or later? Does the City water and sewer services already extend to Arva now under contract to the County? When will we see the Richmond St LTC Bus go up to Medway HS and loop back?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:12 PM

Hey I’m new here, just made an account and I’m wondering if anyone wants updates on Industry as well? I work for my dad who owns a iron work company that puts up Pre Eng. Buildings and exterior cladding and all that and most of our jobs are in London. We have worked at Dr. Oetker, Cardiff, Hully Gully. We are mostly subcontracted by Michael + Clarke. So if anyone wants updates just let me know, we have 3 buildings on the way so far in London, one starts next week near Exeter Rd

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeguy01 View Post
Hey I’m new here, just made an account and I’m wondering if anyone wants updates on Industry as well? I work for my dad who owns a iron work company that puts up Pre Eng. Buildings and exterior cladding and all that and most of our jobs are in London. We have worked at Dr. Oetker, Cardiff, Hully Gully. We are mostly subcontracted by Michael + Clarke. So if anyone wants updates just let me know, we have 3 buildings on the way so far in London, one starts next week near Exeter Rd
Welcome to the page and bring it on. We love insider stuff here lol.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Welcome to the page and bring it on. We love insider stuff here lol.
The one we are putting up next week is for a trucking company by the name Speed Force, it’s on 1 Durrow street south of Exeter, we are also Steel sheeting a conventional building that’s going up on Discovery dr and it’s gonna be 150,000 sq ft building for Bosco and Roxys Gourmet treats for dogs I’m pretty sure and we are also putting up a 100,000 sq ft building next to the dog treat building for Dorchester’s BOS Innovations which make robotic arms for factories. Excavation looks like it started for the dog treat company just south of Cardiff, BOS starts October or november

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 11:34 PM

If anyone does know the company Michael + Clarke, they are popular for doing Commercial and Industrial, I just got confirmation from one of the top site supervisors that hire us a lot that they are adding Residential as well, their first apartment building will be a two tower, 6-8 stories in west 5 is what he told me.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 11:50 PM

Cool. I had seen the sign at the current Bosco and Roxy's site that they were moving over that way. I had heard a while back that BOS was coming to London, which was awesome to hear, considering the other businesses out in Thames Centre that left London for cheaper land. I saw work being done on Durrow last week, I guess I know what that is now. Little known but growing industrial park back in there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Cool. I had seen the sign at the current Bosco and Roxy's site that they were moving over that way. I had heard a while back that BOS was coming to London, which was awesome to hear, considering the other businesses out in Thames Centre that left London for cheaper land. I saw work being done on Durrow last week, I guess I know what that is now. Little known but growing industrial park back in there.
Yeah it is an assumed industrial subdivision. We will be starting to erect the steel columns up on Monday or Tuesday, MCI has not given us the exact date to start setting up the building. And yeah I remember reading the dog treat business on LFP and originally they wanted 100,000 sq ft but they decided to bump it up to 150,000

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 1:33 PM

Not sure why the Landlord has left 120 York St unpaved. Would have expected final grading and a base coat of asphalt for parking by now. The arena could be back in business this Fall and getting the lot in full operation is an opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:00 PM

The first of the 2 new Amazon delivery depots in the east end is now open. The newbuild at Huron and Robins Hill Rd started doing local deliveries last week. Still a bit of finishing work before the other location in the former Summit Foods at Veterans Parkway and Page St is up and running.

So far as I've been able to see, they don't have any Amazon branded vehicles yet. I've seen a few plain white Sprinter vans in neighbourhoods, they can be distinguished from other delivery companies with a paper sign in the windshield that says "DLC4" on it. That is the building name for the Huron St location, as per the "Welcome to DLC4" banner that was hanging on the building last week when it opened.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 7:42 PM

The NW corner of Richmond and Sunningdale which is zoned for commercial and retail appears to have had some activity. Soil fabric retention has now been staked out around the lot. Would be first step ahead of heavy equipment installing utilities and grading the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates