HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:31 PM

I'd really like to make a map of my idea. Any suggestions of what I should use?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Photoshop or adobe illustrator are certainly the best although it's a skill not many possess.

If you're like me and can't figure adobe out at all use this:

http://beno.org.uk/metromapcreator/#

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Why not google maps?

use the "my maps" feature, and draw whatever lines and features you desire on top of the typical Google Map

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:45 AM

Wink Damn. 2040 "Plan".

Here is mine. I tried to add names to all the stations, before realizing how messy that made the map and gave up.

There are a few more extra things aside from commuter (aka. passenger rail- because Simcity ), Skytrain, and LRT (BRT is not included in here. Maybe I'll have that in a later version.)

Some is meh in realism, probably tell me if you feel so.

Keep in mind that the transit system is intended to service more a near-term (to 2040?) market with low population growth in mind (UN predictions https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_(UN).svg.png), and ignoring all Climate Change effects, and biotechnology effects (which would increase life expectancy and thus population growth).

Which means that due to the # of empty properties after the inevitable housing bubble crash across Canada, there is enough land and leftover property in Metro Van/GVRD to sustain population growth mostly inside its borders (not extending to Abbostford and Mission as some predict).

See? Plenty of land, especially once you rezone places like the Salmon River Highlands, which are subdivided to such high levels using it for farming is essentially impossible at this point.

Beyond 2040, Abbostford, FVED (Electoral District) F, G, H, and Mission are absorbed into the Metro Van system due to increasing urbanization there. Dunno if this is realistic. 2060 maybe the rest of the Valley merges with the Metro Van system.

1. The ferry to Barnston Is. is replaced with a low (potentially draw-type) bridge.

2. A new ferry is built from Ioco to Barnston Hwy, and one from Turtle Head Rd, Belcarra, to Cove Cliff, North Van- potentially to be upgraded into an elevated highway. I don't think that's a good idea at this point.
BTW, what happened the David Ave. Extension and Grandville Mall St.?

3. Ferry to Douglas Island from Mary Hills and a New Park/Historical Area there. Or something along those lines. I still don't understand why Metro Parks even has that island in reserve anyways.

4. Expanded industrial area on South Lulu Island, extending from No. 2 Rd to Steveston Hwy. to 99, and from 99 to Blundell Rd, and the triangle in Delta from the SFPR to Deas Island to 99.
If Trumpeconomics makes it to Canada, it might be more necessary than it is now. It's an ok location, being right along the Fraser. Though there are genuine environmental concerns.
It would also need to be removed from the ALR- which isn't exactly unheard of.
Admittedly, this isn't 100% realistic. I mainly put it here to ask how big such a place would need to be.

5. New DeltaPort extension (Terminal 3? New Oil Port?) and Incinerator in Robert's Bank.

6. SFPR extension onto the Pacific Hwy, down to the US border.

7. New rail segments would need to be plopped for the passenger rail- namely, a connection from the Deltaport-headed rail lines to Tswassen Ferry Terminal, solely made for Passenger Rail.

8. Boundary Bay Airport would be expanded to International Airport and be supported by BRT and Passenger Rail. Mainly since there isn't much space at Vancouver without reclamation (or is there?), and Abbostford is too far for most people. It also has plenty of room for Airships/Aeroscraft and the largest jumbo jets.

9. New Major Hospital, somewhere on the Fraser Line, shared by Langley and Surrey.

New Passenger Rail lines (keep in mind that they run all the time, not just at rush hours, like the current system. Except the line to Hope from Mission.:

"Spirit of the Fraser", from Granville Island and the Vancouver Central LRT system to Chilliwack via Arbutus (requiring a new ROW in the proposed Arbutus Greenway)- (I think I put too many stations here. ), Marine Drive, New New Westminister Bridge (depending if that's necessary), Newton, Langley City, Fort Langley and TWU, and out from there to Gifford (a new spur would be built here from the CN track to the SRY track- the reason for this being the time savings from not using the more roundabout SRY track through east Langley), then following the old interurban to Chilliwack.

The "Fraser Valley Express" would travel on the same line as "Spirit of the Fraser", but skip many "less important stations" to provide as fast of a speed though the Fraser Valley as possible. Thus, it would also use the CN rail line to connect to Fort Langley via Walnut Grove, instead of using the old Interurban Line. It also merges with the CP rail and "West Coast Express" to Hope and Agassiz, forming the to Hope segment of the "Fraser Valley Express".

"West Coast Express remains the same, aside from 4 new stations- one at Albion Sports Center, another at Westridge (mostly to allow SFU access via bus from the East of Pitt River without transferring twice to Skytrain and the BMG. Another station is built in Burnaby Heights (not sure if needed), and another at Hastings Park/PNE to transfer to Skytrain and "North Shore Express"

"North Shore Express" would go to Whistler via Horseshoe Bay and 2nd Narrows on existing rail.
Stations built at Lynnmour, Queensbury, Lonsdale, Capilano Mall/North Shore Automall, Park Royal Shopping Centre, Kiwanis Village (with a new road connection from Cypress Bowl Rd. to Queens Av.), Horseshoe Bay, Squamish, Britannia Beach, Whistler, and Pemberton.

A new Passenger Rail line around Delta using the rail line next to 91 is built, connecting Whalley to Peace Arch and the US border- the "Spirit of the Rock". Stops are indicated with dots, and follows the old BNSF line. Safety improvements at White Rock essential.

A new Passenger Rail line, the "Victoria Express", also built from Cloverdale to Tswassen Ferry Terminal. It also connects to the "Boundary Bay Interneational Aiport" and Tswassen Mills.

Yet another passenger rail line uses the CP rail segment at Lougheed Hwy. to connect from New West to Port Coqu.

I dunno if I should add another "Express" line at the Brunette River Rail line to Science World and Vancouver LRT as an alternative for the Expo.

Also, another Passenger rail spur is added from a minor rail spur into Ioco- also where the abandoned land here is converted to industrial around the inlet, and residential further up the mountains.

No idea if I added too many stations. Another rail lane/track added where necessary. No idea about cost realism here.

Skytrain is also expanded, with a new Expo line- Hastings extension to PNE- mostly underground. New stations on the Expo added at Woodlands, Levi St., Boundary Rd., 33 Av./Queen Elizabeth Park, YVR Terminal 3, Capstan Way, and 57 Ave.

Canada Line is extended to Steveston Cannery Muesum Via Grandville Ave., and the YVR Spur is replaced with a new line, the "Olympic Line". The Evergreen Extension gets a new line, the "Evergreen Line", while the Millennium line is terminated at Surrey Central to go to UBC (with appropriate tracks and spurs). The "UBC extension" would contain both Millennium and new, "Evergreen" lines.

The Langley Line would replace the Phase 1 and 2 of the "South of Fraser Rapid Transit Project", and transfer at King George and Surrey Central, satisfying the "Metro Surrey" plan (forcing a transfer at Whalley), replacing the L-line, expanding 152 St. and 108 Ave., and making sure the Expo line doesn't get overly long and inefficient by transferring from a high-volume to a lower-volume route.

The "Evergreen Line/Extension" is extended to the Riverwood Mall.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/08/f...n-canada-line/
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/12/w...ver-got-built/

A Gondola is built from Burquitlam to SFU. Potentially also in the North Shore instead of LRT if the inclination is too high.

The Seabus is expanded upon and operates at top speed all the time.

Skytrain and Seabus top speeds are also increased. I would like a top speed for Seabus to help me with this- I heard it was higher than the 20km/h normal top speed listed.

http://www.estebanmatheus.com/9-billion-fulcrum-2/

However, from this 2070 density map, I noticed a few meh things in this. Mainly that Coquitlam, Richmond, North Delta, North of Burrard and East of Pitt need more service.

Richmond especially, holy moly. Dunno how they calculated it, especially since it doesn't take into account new neighbourhoods like the Salmon River Highlands. I guess the Chinese really WILL take over Richmond. :O Maybe they would rename that place... lol

PS: The dots for LRT do not represent stations. I screwed up here.

PSS: Some parts got cut off. Blue is Skytrain, Red is LRT, and Purple is Passenger Rail. Sorry, I don't have a colour printer.

PSSS: The buses and LRT are automated at this point.

Last edited by fredinno; Jan 23, 2017 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post

Here is mine. I tried to add names to all the stations, before realizing how messy that made the map and gave up.

There are a few more extra things aside from commuter (aka. passenger rail- because Simcity ), Skytrain, and LRT (BRT is not included in here. Maybe I'll have that in a later version.)

Some is meh in realism, probably tell me if you feel so.

Keep in mind that the transit system is intended to service more a near-term (to 2040?) market with low population growth in mind (UN predictions https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_(UN).svg.png), and ignoring all Climate Change effects, and biotechnology effects (which would increase life expectancy and thus population growth).

Which means that due to the # of empty properties after the inevitable housing bubble crash across Canada, there is enough land and leftover property in Metro Van/GVRD to sustain population growth mostly inside its borders (not extending to Abbostford and Mission as some predict).

See? Plenty of land, especially once you rezone places like the Salmon River Highlands, which are subdivided to such high levels using it for farming is essentially impossible at this point.

Beyond 2040, Abbostford, FVED (Electoral District) F, G, H, and Mission are absorbed into the Metro Van system due to increasing urbanization there. Dunno if this is realistic. 2060 maybe the rest of the Valley merges with the Metro Van system.

1. The ferry to Barnston Is. is replaced with a low (potentially draw-type) bridge.

2. A new ferry is built from Ioco to Barnston Hwy, and one from Turtle Head Rd, Belcarra, to Cove Cliff, North Van- potentially to be upgraded into an elevated highway. I don't think that's a good idea at this point.
BTW, what happened the David Ave. Extension and Grandville Mall St.?

3. Ferry to Douglas Island from Mary Hills and a New Park/Historical Area there. Or something along those lines. I still don't understand why Metro Parks even has that island in reserve anyways.

4. Expanded industrial area on South Lulu Island, extending from No. 2 Rd to Steveston Hwy. to 99, and from 99 to Blundell Rd, and the triangle in Delta from the SFPR to Deas Island to 99.
If Trumpeconomics makes it to Canada, it might be more necessary than it is now. It's an ok location, being right along the Fraser. Though there are genuine environmental concerns.
It would also need to be removed from the ALR- which isn't exactly unheard of.
Admittedly, this isn't 100% realistic. I mainly put it here to ask how big such a place would need to be.

5. New DeltaPort extension (Terminal 3? New Oil Port?) and Incinerator in Robert's Bank.

6. SFPR extension onto the Pacific Hwy, down to the US border.

7. New rail segments would need to be plopped for the passenger rail- namely, a connection from the Deltaport-headed rail lines to Tswassen Ferry Terminal, solely made for Passenger Rail.

8. Boundary Bay Airport would be expanded to International Airport and be supported by BRT and Passenger Rail. Mainly since there isn't much space at Vancouver without reclamation (or is there?), and Abbostford is too far for most people. It also has plenty of room for Airships/Aeroscraft and the largest jumbo jets.

9. New Major Hospital, somewhere on the Fraser Line, shared by Langley and Surrey.

New Passenger Rail lines:

"Spirit of the Fraser", from Grandville Island and the Vancouver Central LRT system to Chilliwalk via Arbutus (requiring a new ROW in the proposed Arbutus Greenway)- (I think I put too many stations here. ), Marine Drive, New New Westminister Bridge (depending if that's necessary), Newton, Langley City, Fort Langley and TWU, and out from there to Gifford (a new spur would be built here from the CN track to the SRY track- the reason for this being the time savings from not using the more roundabout SRY track through east Langley), then following the old interurban to Chilliwack.

The "Fraser Valley Express" would travel on the same line as "Spirit of the Fraser", but skip many "less important stations" to provide as fast of a speed though the Fraser Valley as possible. Thus, it would also use the CN rail line to connect to Fort Langley via Walnut Grove, instead of using the old Interurban Line. It also merges with the CP rail and "West Coast Express" to Hope and Agassiz, forming the to Hope segment of the "Fraser Valley Express".

"West Coast Express remains the same, aside from 4 new stations- one at Albion Sports Center, another at Westridge (mostly to allow SFU access via bus from the East of Pitt River without transferring twice to Skytrain and the BMG. Another station is built in Burnaby Heights (not sure if needed), and another at Hastings Park/PNE to transfer to Skytrain and "North Shore Express"

"North Shore Express" would go to Whistler via Horseshoe Bay and 2nd Narrows on existing rail.
Stations built at Lynnmour, Queensbury, Lonsdale, Capilano Mall/North Shore Automall, Park Royal Shopping Centre, Kiwanis Village (with a new road connection from Cypress Bowl Rd. to Queens Av.), Horseshoe Bay, Squamish, Britannia Beach, Whistler, and Pemberton.

A new Passenger Rail line around Delta using the rail line next to 91 is built, connecting Whalley to Peace Arch and the US border- the "Spirit of the Rock". Stops are indicated with dots, and follows the old BNSF line. Safety improvements at White Rock essential.

A new Passenger Rail line, the "Victoria Express", also built from Cloverdale to Tswassen Ferry Terminal. It also connects to the "Boundary Bay Interneational Aiport" and Tswassen Mills.

Yet another passenger rail line uses the CP rail segment at Lougheed Hwy. to connect from New West to Port Coqu.

I dunno if I should add another "Express" line at the Brunette River Rail line to Science World and Vancouver LRT as an alternative for the Expo.

Also, another Passenger rail spur is added from a minor rail spur into Ioco- also where the abandoned land here is converted to industrial around the inlet, and residential further up the mountains.

No idea if I added too many stations. Another rail lane/track added where necessary. No idea about cost realism here.

Skytrain is also expanded, with a new Expo line- Hastings extension to PNE- mostly underground. New stations on the Expo added at Woodlands, Levi St., Boundary Rd., 33 Av./Queen Elizabeth Park, YVR Terminal 3, Capstan Way, and 57 Ave.

Canada Line is extended to Steveston Cannery Muesum Via Grandville Ave., and the YVR Spur is replaced with a new line, the "Olympic Line". The Evergreen Extension gets a new line, the "Evergreen Line", while the Millennium line is terminated at Surrey Central to go to UBC (with appropriate tracks and spurs). The "UBC extension" would contain both Millennium and new, "Evergreen" lines.

The Langley Line would replace the Phase 1 and 2 of the "South of Fraser Rapid Transit Project", and transfer at King George and Surrey Central, satisfying the "Metro Surrey" plan (forcing a transfer at Whalley), replacing the L-line, expanding 152 St. and 108 Ave., and making sure the Expo line doesn't get overly long and inefficient by transferring from a high-volume to a lower-volume route.

The "Evergreen Line/Extension" is extended to the Riverwood Mall.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/08/f...n-canada-line/
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/12/w...ver-got-built/

http://www.estebanmatheus.com/9-billion-fulcrum-2/

However, from this 2070 density map, I noticed a few meh things in this. Mainly that Coquitlam, Richmond, North Delta, North of Burrard and East of Pitt need more service.

Richmond especially, holy moly. Dunno how they calculated it, especially since it doesn't take into account new neighbourhoods like the Salmon River Highlands. I guess the Chinese really WILL take over Richmond. :O Maybe they would rename that place... lol

PS: the dots for LRT do not represent stations. I screwed up here.

PSS: Some parts got cut off. Blue is Skytrain, Red is LRT, and Purple is Passenger Rail. Sorry, I don't have a colour printer.
Could you or someone else possibly clean that up and make the resolution bigger? Hard to read but I do see the general idea.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Could you or someone else possibly clean that up and make the resolution bigger? Hard to read but I do see the general idea.
I had a really high resolution image of it. Can't post it because the image size is too high. Tell me if you want a .zip.

Still messy though, but that's because it's a draft.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:03 AM

Quote:
I had a really high resolution image of it. Can't post it because the image size is too high. Tell me if you want a .zip.

Still messy though, but that's because it's a draft.
Upload it to imgur and post the link in plain text.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:20 AM

Max. Resolution still too big for Imgur.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Max. Resolution still too big for Imgur.
Much better. When do you think it will be done?

Edit: When it comes to the "Olympic line", does it terminate at Waterfront or Bridgeport?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Much better. When do you think it will be done?

Edit: When it comes to the "Olympic line", does it terminate at Waterfront or Bridgeport?
What do you mean? The "Olympic Line" is the "Airport Line" that a lot of people here propose- essentially YVR to Waterfront.

I don't know if it would be better to use the Olympic Line for the Hastings Extension, since it would free up more Expo line capacity.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? The "Olympic Line" is the "Airport Line" that a lot of people here propose- essentially YVR to Waterfront.
I believe they're asking whether or not the line is a SkyTrain between YVR and Bridgeport, or if it goes all the way to Waterfront (which is what we have now with the Canada Line and would be redundant).

Quote:
I don't know if it would be better to use the Olympic Line for the Hastings Extension, since it would free up more Expo line capacity.
Might be better to make Hastings a separate line and send it down Robson to Stanley Park. Heck, this is the Transit Fantasy thread - run it across the Lions Gate to Park Royal!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I believe they're asking whether or not the line is a SkyTrain between YVR and Bridgeport, or if it goes all the way to Waterfront (which is what we have now with the Canada Line and would be redundant).
Yeah that's correct. I honestly think they should have trains to RB more frequent than trains to YVR, maybe even a special shuttle starting from BR, and maybe extend the 620 to the airport. Expressing trains through SI or even TM would be good as well in my opinion. But this is coming from someone living in Richmond.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:06 AM

This is supposed to be realistic, something you would have known if you spent the time (admittedly a long time) to read the entire thing.

Also, the Millennium Line from VCC to Waterfront, half of it was redundant from that POV...

It's really because transferring from Bridgeport to the Olympic line is going to mean yet another transfer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's correct. I honestly think they should have trains to RB more frequent than trains to YVR, maybe even a special shuttle starting from BR, and maybe extend the 620 to the airport. Expressing trains through SI or even TM would be good as well in my opinion. But this is coming from someone living in Richmond.
Ok now I have no clue what you're saying. Please use less appreviations. Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:09 AM

Quote:
I think the answer is a third platform at Bridgeport. Then Waterfront-Brighouse and YVR service can BOTH be increased to 90 second headways, instead of cutting into each other.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Also, the Millennium Line from VCC to Waterfront, half of it was redundant from that POV...
Let me try again. The Canada Line runs from Waterfront to Brighouse, with a spur to YVR at Bridgeport.

That means every other train runs from Waterfront, then splits off and heads for YVR; no need for a new line when it's already a thing.

Quote:
This is supposed to be realistic, something you would have known if you spent the time (admittedly a long time) to read the entire thing.
And yet the North Shore Express magically jumps ninety-degrees and into a tunnel to cross the rail bridge beside the Ironworkers' Memorial. Not bashing you or your work (this obviously took a lot of time and effort), but you've already got a tram on the Lions Gate, might as well make it ALRT. It's possible, if not (presently) affordable.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Let me try again. The Canada Line runs from Waterfront to Brighouse, with a spur to YVR at Bridgeport.

That means every other train runs from Waterfront, then splits off and heads for YVR; no need for a new line when it's already a thing.

And yet the North Shore Express magically jumps ninety-degrees and into a tunnel to cross the rail bridge beside the Ironworkers' Memorial. Not bashing you or your work (this obviously took a lot of time and effort), but
But what? You stopped.

I'll probably make a rail spur there. Just go to check if there's room...

The Olympic Line was there if the capacity was needed. Is it? I mean, how much has YVR capacity needs increased or is everyone using Bellingham now?

Also, how realistic is a dual-station Skytrain network? As in, the expo Line is doubled on the same line to serve more people?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
But what? You stopped.

I'll probably make a rail spur there. Just go to check if there's room...

The Olympic Line was there if the capacity was needed. Is it? I mean, how much has YVR capacity needs increased or is everyone using Bellingham now?
Nasty habit of editing my posts as I submit them. Sorry.

Regardless, I think it makes sense to have one line starting at Bridgeport and servicing airport passengers directly, and one line servicing downtown to Richmond.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I'd still love to see something that does long haul trips out to Chilliwack more than ten times a day.

Image courtesy of Transit Toronto
That 80s aesthetic is turnt. Why can't the 2010s' design have that?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:59 AM

Quote:
I think the answer is a third platform at Bridgeport. Then Waterfront-Brighouse and YVR service can BOTH be increased to 90 second headways, instead of cutting into each other.
First, I'd like to see them put more switches in place in between stations incase someone decides to jump on the tracks. They had to single track all the way between Olympic Village and Waterfront last time someone jumped. Or they should put in barriers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure