HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 2, 2005, 11:09 AM
I have lurking issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
Your Visionland photos would also be coveted by the Magic City group on Flickr, should you care to contribute them.
wow, there are some great photos on that site.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2005, 1:20 PM

Every time I come to Birmingham I always have to eat a V.J's on the Runway because its clousre was inevitable due to airport expansion. Well I went yesterday only to see that they have closed shop as of June 25 and have moved to a new location on East Lake Boulevard. They had been at the same location since 1930! I know the airport expansion is good for the region, but the city did lose one of its most unique restaurants IMHO.

R.I.P. V.J's...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 7:43 PM

The Birminghamster's special report on Condomania!.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 9:11 PM

NBC13's Mike Moore will be moving to an Atlanta news station. Consequently, Birmingham is getting a new anchorwoman-- Gina Redmond from WXPI out of Pittsburg. Prior to that, she was an anchorwoman on the morning show in Dallas. She'll be joining the NBC13 news team here in Birmingham and teaming up with Jim Dunaway to do the "Today in Alabama" show. The changeover is supposed to occur on July 18th.

Here's a picture of anchorwoman Gina Redmond

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 10:18 PM

Where do anchorwomen get their hair done? Is there an official school of anchorwoman hairstyling whose graduates earn prestigious positions with our nations televison network affiliates?

Anyway, best of luck to our new media celebrity. I stopped watching TV news years and years ago.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2005, 11:55 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
The Birminghamster's special report on Condomania!.
LOL, I saw that last night and died laughing. Classic.

This city is so cynical. I love it.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 2:39 AM
I concede

Quote:
I stopped watching TV news years and years ago.
Amen... But she is kinda cute.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 2:42 AM
I concede

Wow! Gina has a little, umm -- "spunk" in her. Apparently she started a bar fights and slapped her producer...

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnew...4redmondp5.asp

She's known as Gina "bitch slap" Redmond. Welcome to Birmingham sweetie... You'll fit right in.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Wow! Gina has a little, umm -- "spunk" in her. Apparently she started a bar fights and slapped her producer...

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnew...4redmondp5.asp

Yeah... I googled her earlier, but I didnt wanna give her a bad name before she got here. I think she was acquitted of starting the fight, but I'm not sure.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 2:51 AM
I concede

Yeah, she was sentenced to some community service type event after she pleaded no contest. She said she was confused about the plea (or something regarding the trial), and would appeal. I couldn't find anything on the appeal so I guess she just decided to put it behind her. I'm sure the rest of Birmingham will do the same and welcome her with open arms -- or hands. I'm sorry, I just had to.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 4:33 AM

Could Birmingham-based Zoe's Chicken become the next big franchise? They have about 15 locations currently and have plans to start up 50 more within the next 5 years.

Current locations:

Birmingham, AL
-Crestline
-Downtown
-Homewood
-Patton Creek
-The Summit
Tuscaloosa, AL
Montgomery, AL
Spanish Fort, AL
Phoenix, AZ
-Downtown
-West McDowell
Destin, FL
Memphis, TN
Nashville, TN

Future locations (coming soon):

Dallas, TX
Jacksonville, FL
Baton Rouge, LA
Brentwood, TN

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 2:30 PM

"Bitch-Slap" Redmond? That's not a bad name. That's an awesome name! I might even have to watch this program once or twice. I like her already. I hope they market her no-nonsense in-your-face style.

Also, that's "Zöe's Kitchen" (they even nixed the chicken on their old logo). It could do well, assuming they stick to really promising locations and their decor doesn't get dated too fast.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2005, 3:08 PM

Another smart move by the transit authority no doubt
-----------------------------------------------------------

Transit authority chairman dissolves citizen committee
Thursday, July 07, 2005
BARNETT WRIGHT
News staff writer

The chairman of the Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority has dissolved a citizen committee designed to give independent feedback on transit operations.

"I told the advisory group they were not officially formed, that their terms had expired," Phil Gary said Wednesday. "The transit advisory committee as we know it is nonexistent; it's defunct."

Birmingham City Councilwoman Carol Reynolds said she was appalled by the move and contacted the city's law department about the action.

The 15-member transit advisory committee is made up of members from Birmingham, Bessemer, Homewood, Mountain Brook and Jefferson County. The group serves as a liaison between bus riders and the transit board.

"Our records reflected the appointments had expired and there was one representative who is serving on the advisory committee who has never been formally appointed by either the municipalities or the county," Gary said. "All of them need to go back and review the resolutions on their appointments and notify us in writing who the appointees are and the term of their office."

Reynolds, chairwoman of the Birmingham City Council Transportation and Communications Committee, said she was baffled.

"I felt like we put good, intelligent, hard-working, transit-minded people on that committee to help steer the board in the direction we need to go," she said. "I wasn't notified that they were going to take that action, and when I found out I was appalled."

James Clark, of the transit advisory committee, said members were informed by transit officials that they were to serve for only two months.

"We were appointed May 18, 2004, and the resolution said our terms expired July 31, 2004," he said. "To my understanding we were supposed to serve for two years and not two months. I'm assuming that's a clerical error on the resolution and that could be easily corrected."

The Transit Committee nomination form stated, "These members are appointed for a two-year term."

Clark said the committee and board have sparred over several issues, including the termination of former executive director Mark Stanley and the need for regional transit.

Gary acknowledged the two sides had differences.

"Currently the advisory committee is not working in support of the transit authority," Gary said. "They have been in opposition. There have been negative letters written about me and the transit board. How can you be an advisory committee if you are criticizing the organization and the board?"

E-mail: bwright@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2005, 2:39 PM

2 UAB hospital programs rank among Top 10
Friday, July 08, 2005

Eleven UAB Hospital specialty programs were ranked in this year's U.S. News & World Report's annual "America's Best Hospitals" issue released today. Two of the programs made the Top 10 list.

The annual rankings contribute to a medical center's national image. They rate hospitals in 17 subspecialties. Rankings are based on reputation among physicians, death rate, and care-related factors such as nursing and patient services.

In today's rankings, UAB's rheumatology program was ranked sixth for the 14th consecutive year; and heart and heart surgery jumped from 25th to 10th during the last two years.

Other UAB programs and rankings were: cancer, 22nd; ear, nose and throat, 29th; geriatrics, 27th; gynecology, 15th; kidney disease, 15th; neurology and neurosurgery, 35th; and orthopedics, 34th.

All 6,007 U.S. hospitals were evaluated, and 176 scored high enough to rank in a single specialty. Most hospitals in the rankings were referral centers, because their physicians see sicker patients and do greater numbers of tough procedures, the magazine reported. Dave Parks --

Old Posted Jul 8, 2005, 2:41 PM
Trendy.

Incredible. Go UAB.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 3:50 PM

Woohoo... looks like our great leaders and great school board may be messing up another nice thing for BHM.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sale of school board building on hold
Monday, July 11, 2005
GIGI DOUBAN
News staff writer

It has been months since the Birmingham Board of Education discussed the sale of its administration building on Park Place, and it doesn't appear talks will resume with the city anytime soon.

"Right now the conversations are at a standstill," school Superintendent Wayman B. Shiver Jr. said.

Officials with the City of Birmingham and the Jefferson County Commission last fall proposed that the board sell its building so that a luxury hotel could be built in its place. Details weren't presented on a new site for the school board or who would foot the bill.

Shiver said the board remains adamant it will not pay moving costs, and insists the building is worth more than its $5 million appraisal amount. "I have been reluctant to get another appraisal because it will cost several thousands of dollars to do that," Shiver said.

Shiver said he has received sporadic offers from developers interested in the Board of Education site, but all of the proposals "leave us hanging with a debt with no particular plan to help us acquire the amount of money needed to make the switch."

The school board and Shiver agree that the city ought to pay because it is initiating the push to sell the board headquarters.

In the fall, County Commission officials proposed that the board use revenue from the county 1 cent sales tax toward a new central building, but some board members weren't comfortable with that idea. Also, that money has been tied up in escrow until a lawsuit challenging the tax is resolved.

Mayor Bernard Kincaid could not be reached for comment.

E-mail: gdouban@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 3:51 PM
Trendy.

I WANT OUR WESTIN!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 8:21 PM
I concede

Somehow, I still feel Kincaid's myopic leadership is to blame. Maybe the mayor would be more interested in making this a reality if Westin agreed to wrap the hotel in a Crown Royal bottle for the unveiling ceremony.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2005, 4:05 PM

Check this out...

Red Mountain Park

Old Posted Jul 16, 2005, 10:16 PM
I concede

An excellent site... Thanks for the link Blazer. How did you stumble on this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast