HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
i always thought the FT will have a square as footprint... but on the construction pictures and in this render it looks like it is a bit askew.
The footprint will be square, but not exactly. Similar to the way the Twin Tower footprints were.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 11:06 PM

I wish I knew how to post the webcam image but it looks like there has been a tremendous amount of progress on the south core during the past week(?)

It almost looks (IMO) like the core has poked above street level!?

Keep up the great work guys!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 11:08 PM
World Machine

^^It's almost there but not quite. A few more weeks.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 6:25 AM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
This is the best rendering yet.
I think this ones the best, as its more realistic.

and this ones also cool:

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 6:41 AM
Desert Dweller

What I dont get is why in those renderings, WTC 2's top is missing glass?

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
What I dont get is why in those renderings, WTC 2's top is missing glass?

It's not missing glass, that's the spire/antenna.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Don't think I've seen this before, a rendering of the top restaurant...(panynj.com)

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 6:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Kate Hudson looks like she's enjoying a good laugh in that rendering. But the question is, who's making her laugh? TMZ readers want to know...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:42 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Don't think I've seen this before, a rendering of the top restaurant...(panynj.com)

Certainly different from Windows. It appears to be multi-story. Interesting concept.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:34 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
I think this ones the best, as its more realistic.

Except, all the buildings will be the same color as 7WTC.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:47 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Certainly different from Windows. It appears to be multi-story. Interesting concept.
It looks better than Windows! I visit the Signature Room on 96th in the John Hancock building in Chicago every year on my birthday when I can and it looks kinda familiar to that! The Signature Room occupies parts of the 95th and 96th floors of the John Hancock building with the 95th floor being the main restaurant and the 96th floor being the bar/lounge looking over the 95th floor. Either way, it's very exciting to see a rendering of the new restaurant!

Note: This is none of that Chicago VS New York horseshit, but simply comparing and contrasting the restaurant in the John Hancock building and the new restaurant in World Trade Center Tower 1. Here are a few Signature Room on 96th pictures I took just last year incase anybody wants to know exactly what I mean.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; May 12, 2008 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 5:17 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
The footprint will be square, but not exactly. Similar to the way the Twin Tower footprints were.
Most of it looks square but it's actually an octagon with 4 sides way smaller than the other 4.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:14 PM
Endless Moments...

What a view to have. I like that rendering. Its gonna look very nice when its all done...

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:52 PM
BANNED

hi im new here but ive been looking at this thread for a long time and world trade center looks truly amayzing

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSY WILLOW View Post
love this pix this is the best to me

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:

is this in the freedom tower or tower 2

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
is this in the freedom tower or tower 2
The FT.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:23 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Weak concrete removed from WTC's Freedom Tower foundation
By AMY WESTFELDT – Apr 16, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) — Builders of the Freedom Tower poured a bad batch of concrete into the foundation of the skyscraper replacing the World Trade Center and spent the last few weeks removing it after tests showed it wasn't strong enough, officials said.

About 50 cubic yards of concrete was jackhammered away from the core foundation of the 1,776-foot tower under construction at ground zero. More than 22,000 cubic yards of concrete have been poured so far, and no other batches have failed strength tests, said Steve Coleman, spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The tower, the symbolic replacement to the twin towers destroyed on Sept. 11, is being built with concrete stronger than any other building in New York City.

The foundation is built to withstand 14,000 pounds per square inch, about three times the strength of concrete in an average home and over five times the strength in a sidewalk. A tower rebuilt north of ground zero two years ago, 7 World Trade Center, was built with concrete at a strength of 12,000 pounds per square inch, officials said.

The concrete that was removed from the Freedom Tower varied in strength between 6,000 and 10,000 pounds per square inch, Coleman said Tuesday. It was poured Dec. 18 and passed initial strength tests, he said.

But contractors working on the site noticed a 6-inch section appeared to have excessive air pockets, he said. After further tests, the builders decided in mid-February to take the concrete out, he said.

The construction schedule for the tower, expected to open in 2012, wasn't affected, Coleman said.

A message left with the main concrete supplier, Quadrozzi Concrete Corp., wasn't returned. Tony Arnold, president of iCrete, the company that developed the high-strength technology for the tower, said the small amount concrete must have been mixed improperly.

"We have had no batches that have not achieved the strength," he said.

Removing below-strength concrete that has already been poured is rare in the industry, said Greg Vickers, managing director of operations for the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:34 AM
Frigidus Maximus

NYPost.com

GROUND ZERO CYNICISM

May 1, 2008 -- Sen. Chuck Schumer says no one should belittle Downtown or "ex ploit the sanctity of Ground Zero to score a cheap political point."

If only things were that simple.

Schumer's comment was aimed at Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH), who balked at a request for $2 billion in federal funds for a rail link between Downtown and JFK Airport, calling it a "raid" on the fisc for "this train to nowhere."

Gregg's remark echoed the phrase used to characterize a notorious Alaskan pork project, "the bridge to nowhere." Ouch.

An aide to Mayor Bloomberg also got his back up over Gregg's words: "This 'nowhere' is also the heart of American and world finance," said spokesman Stu Loeser. He also suggested that "the senator might not remember what happened there seven years ago."

Now, nobody's forgotten "what happened here seven years ago."

Least of all, us.

But as Rudy Giuliani learned during his presidential run, the reflexive invocation of 9/11 will get you only so far. (In his case, not very.)

New York, of course, was promised the cash. And it needs it.

But considering the progress at Ground Zero - or, rather, the stunning lack thereof - it's easy to understand why non-New Yorkers are skeptical.

The $2 billion is part of the $20 billion President Bush offered New York after 9/11, properly recognizing that the strike on the World Trade Center was aimed at all Americans.

But that wasn't good enough for then-Gov. George Pataki, who demanded a whopping $54 billion - including funds for some projects, like upstate rail service, far from Ground Zero.

Right then, eyeballs began to roll.

Meanwhile, seven years after the attacks, the billions in federal funding have resulted in not one completed building (aside from 7 World Trade Center, which was entirely rebuilt by its private-sector owner, Larry Silverstein).

Indeed, it's doubtful Gregg would "not remember what happened" on 9/11 - because Ground Zero today is basically still fallow land. Projects like the PATH station and Fulton Street Transit Hub are stalled.

Indeed, the toxic Deutsche Bank building still stands - even after a fire there last year killed two firefighters.

If New York's leaders ever get something done Downtown - maybe non-New Yorkers would finally view federal funding as something other than "pork."

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
love this pix this is the best to me
isn't this render from STR? although it isn't a picture it's IMO a lot better than the others because in this you SEE the new WTC in detail and not only a few pixels...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive