HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 6:52 AM

Via Neighborhood Notes, a 3-story building at NE 24th and Glisan, to replace a parking lot. No on-site parking is planned, except for bike parking.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:00 AM

NW 23rd and Raleigh, in place of the Old Lompoc and Rock Soft Futon.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 12:46 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Oh no. I wonder what will happen to the New Old Lompoc? God, I love that place.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 12:43 AM

20th and Pettygrove has really come along! Update from 10-30-2011:

Sorry for the odd curves at the top; my stitching software didn't like my wide-angle panorama.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Even on portlandmaps.com - none of the links open the actual permit documents like they normally do.
No, I'm pretty sure that portlandmaps doesn't typically link to anything other than the summary you're seeing. At least, in my years of looking through it, it never has.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 3:54 AM

20th and Pettygrove from 11-26-2011:

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 2:59 PM

Ohsu.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 7:14 PM
Well designed mixed use

SOWA's growth has been amazing, and I still contend that building an urban neighborhood close to the city's largest employer was one of the smartest moves the city has ever made. That said, it was and is ambitious, and city building takes time and patience. This area--with its transport/bike bridge, the new OHSU campus that will grow over the next hundred years, and the housing that will follow to serve the needs of the neighborhood--and the retail that will fill in to serve the residents--will transform South Waterfront. It just won't be overnight.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 8:38 PM

I hope you guys are right

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:58 AM

The house on Lovejoy just off 23rd has been demolished in preparation for construction of a six-story apartment building, which has been mentioned elsewhere. Details here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 5:03 AM

Rendering:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 9:09 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Staggered windows really are becoming the architectural parachute pants of this era. That being said... this isn't too bad. I sure wish they could have designed something a bit more timeless here instead. Take the Ramona, for example. While that may not be gorgeous, it would fit into NW, whereas this looks like it belongs in The Pearl. Ah well.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 3:55 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Staggered windows really are becoming the architectural parachute pants of this era.
Very well put. I agree that these look pretty good--as do the staggered windows at the Bud Clark Commons. That staggered Enzo thing on Lovejoy and 14th however is an abomination.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 5:03 AM

The project at 23rd and Savier (two 4-story buildings, both replacing parking lots: one behind McMenamin's, the other facing 23rd across Savier) appears to be underway. It's fenced off, at least. I've been waiting for years for that parking lot to disappear; it's the last one facing 23rd.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 7:31 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Anybody know what the timeline is for the New Old Lompoc on 23rd? I wonder when that building (along with the futon shop) is coming down.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Anybody know what the timeline is for the New Old Lompoc on 23rd? I wonder when that building (along with the futon shop) is coming down.
It doesn't look like it's coming down, from the link bvpcvm posted ... it appears they are just building next door to Old Lompoc, or at least I hope so.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 9:04 PM

Those are two separate projects, with different architects and developers. 23rd & Savier is a SERA project, 23rd & Raleigh is a GBD project.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:30 AM

There are at least three around there at some stage of development:

1. 23rd and Savier - this is the block that's fenced off; it's a parking lot. One 4-story building will replace the parking lot, and a second one will replace the parking lot (or most of it) behind McMenamin's.

2. 23rd and Raleigh - current site of Old Lompoc & Rock Soft Futon. Also 4 stories.

3. Besaw's - another 4 story apt building that will supposedly be built around the current Besaw's building, but take out some Victorian homes behind it.

You can find info about all of these projects on www.portlandmaps.com. Find the property and look up the permits. There's also been much coverage by the NW Examiner; www.nwexaminer.com - look at the issues from September-October of this year.

Another couple of projects are underway -

4. Lovejoy between 22nd and 23rd. An old house was just demolished to make way for this 6-story apt building, which will replace the vacant lot on the south side of Lovejoy.

5. 19th & Johnson - two 5-story buildings kitty-corner from each other (NE & SW corners of this intersection). I think this is the project that is least far along of all of these.

edit: links aren't working - the forum software is prepending forum.skyscraper.com onto them, so type 'em in instead.

Last edited by bvpcvm; Dec 7, 2011 at 5:22 AM. Reason: links issue

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:33 AM

^^^ It's about time they took down some of the old Victorians around there. I can't believe they've been allowed to stand in the way of development for so long, particularly in a city with so few parking lots and vacant lots to build on...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 6:37 PM

Vinyl windows cause drama for Northwest Portland condos
POSTED: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 04:26 PM PT
BY: Angela Webber
Daily Journal of Commerce

The developers of a condo project in Northwest Portland this year have accumulated fines totaling $9,060.81 – and that amount appears likely to grow.

JB Equities replaced existing wooden window sashes with vinyl ones when it converted the Carlton Court building’s apartments into condominiums in 2007. But the building sits within a historic district – and the developers did not seek historic design review. The developers were informed that the windows need to be replaced; however, they are still seeking an affordable solution that the city would approve.

Carlton Court, at Northwest 17th Avenue and Everett Street, was one of several “vintage” buildings that Benjamin Stutz and Jeff Mincheff transformed into condos a few years ago, said Peter Finley Fry, a consultant working for the developers. But when the project was done, Portland’s code enforcement office was notified of the building’s new, bright-white vinyl windows sashes.

The building is a “secondary contributing resource” in the Alphabet Historic District, so major exterior modifications are subject to historic design review. City planners told the developers that there’s no chance that vinyl windows would pass that review, and so the project entered the city’s code enforcement process. The developers appealed at every level up to the state Land Use Board of Appeals, but in October 2010 they exhausted their last appeal.

Then the city in January began assessing a monthly fee of $1,282.60 for the code violation. That fee won’t go away until something changes, according to Mike Liefeld, code enforcement manager for the city.

“Their options were to replace the vinyl windows with original wood windows, or start the design review process to get something else approved,” Liefeld said.

Installation of wood windows would be too expensive, Fry said. He estimated that the developers spent $80,000 to replace the several types of windows with vinyl ones; use of wood windows would have cost $300,000 to $400,000 more.

“If they’d have known they had to do wood windows in the first place, they wouldn’t have done the project at all,” Fry said. “(Neglect) would have caused the building to rot.”

However, the city contends that the vinyl windows have a big effect on the building and its contribution to the historic district.

“They have a lot of impact on the character of the building,” said planner Dave Skilton, who works in the land use services division of the city’s Bureau of Development Services. “We’re striving to get back a modicum of the (building’s) original character.”

One solution Fry has suggested is to paint the bright-white vinyl of the window sashes a darker color, so the impact isn’t so jarring. But Skilton said that solution “is not likely to work.”

The vinyl window issue is complicated by the fact that it’s a condo building, Fry added. The 37 units are titled separately, so each window change would require approval from each individual owner, he said.

The Carlton Court homeowners association is planning to discuss the issue at an upcoming meeting, according to its president, Michele Mather. She said the association hadn’t asked its members yet if they would allow their vinyl windows to be switched out with wooden ones.

“It’s just our hope as the HOA that this comes to an approved situation quickly and that it’s something all our owners can feel good about,” Mather said.

Fry said he received permission from the Carlton Court homeowners association to at least submit an application for historic design review on its behalf. But he doesn’t know yet what that application will include.

“We have two options – one is to work with the city for a solution that will work with everyone,” Fry said. “The other, if it’s not possible to reach a realistic compromise … I would have to propose something and we would have to fight it out (with the city). I haven’t got to the point of that decision. We’re in an intractable situation.”

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/12/07...rtland-condos/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland