HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:08 AM

I think a few things work against that area. 1. Even though it's not felony flats, it's pretty close, 2. it's not really on the hipster radar, 3. I just looked at houses for sale on zillow and they're almost as expensive as in Buckman, but 4. off the main streets there are lots of streets that don't have sidewalks and appear (on google streetview) to maybe even be unpaved and, 5., there seem to be a fair number of east-county-style 60's ranch houses. Even though houses for sale are fairly expensive I would think it would be hard to charge the kinds of rents out there to justify the expense of new construction. That's my take on it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
It seems infill has/is occurring at a pretty even rate across the city within 4-5 miles from the center (Pioneer Square). With that said there seems to be one gap within this boundary and that is the area around Woodstock, Reed, Creston-Kenilworth. None of these areas have the stigma associated with Felony Flats, 82nd, Outer Eastside and again fall easily within 4-5 miles from the center of the city. Wonder what factors come into play here? These areas, like much of Portland, had streetcars running through them as well (i.e. Gladstone, Woodstock). The built environment currently resembles a few areas around town "pre-infill" as well.

Those areas are comparatively far from a freeway.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 7:44 PM

For better or worse

Ex-suburban homebuilder becomes the biggest in Portland

http://bettercities.net/news-opinion...ggest-portland

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 4:24 AM

^ Wow. That's a big game change for them... It will be interesting to see if this becomes more of a trend or not... the next economic growth period will be much different from the last: purchasing power, oil prices, global markets, politics, and climate change are all on economists minds and will all effect new housing in different ways.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:41 PM

Another lot in the Con-way site (or immediately next to) just put in a pre-application the other day.
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=385260

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:03 PM

Good find. Developer is CE John (same developer as the NW 23rd & Raleigh apts), architect is Holst.

Although the floor plan is partly obscured, it looks like they're not putting any elevators in.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 9:10 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Oh, thats right behind the Lucky Lab. That will be a great fit for that block - scale matches nearby existing buildings even! Plus, Holst does some of the best apartments/condos in Portland.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:47 AM

All this new mixed-use development is exactly what most cities around the country lust after. It takes a liberated zoning code to let developers get urban development of this kind going. Kudos to the City of Portland for seeing it through.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:02 AM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:51 AM

This would be SO good for St. Johns. And God would I love to see that hideous facade removed regardless!

John's/Brad's/Dad's - that's how some people still refer to the tavern in St. Johns Plaza. That all might change if Risa Davis' plans for a new hotel and bistro come through.

In North Portland, a St. Johns tavern could be restored to former life as a hotel
Published: Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 5:53 PM Updated: Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 6:45 PM
By Cornelius Swart, Special to The Oregonian

St. Johns revitalization is looking more like historic restoration.

A month ago I reported that ACE Hardware was moving onto North Lombard Street, bringing back a hardware store after a decadelong absence.

Now the talk of the town is that real estate agent Risa Davis and husband Bret are making a move to purchase John’s Tavern, 8602 N. Lombard St., and restore it to its former life as The Central Hotel.

Last week property owner Lok Shing So, who's owned the building for the last six years, accepted Davis' purchase offer. Davis now has a limited amount of time to get a business plan and financing in place before she can close the deal.

Davis’ vision is to tear off the tavern’s faded Atomic Era facade and add two floors, expanding the building from 6,900 to 27,000 square feet.

“I think the original facade is under there,” said Davis, who believes the building dates back a century and hopes to restore its clapboard and cast iron finishes. “It’s more expensive but I’m passionate about restoration.”

Davis specializes in historic properties. She also serves on the St. Johns Main Street Economic Restructuring Committee.

The plan is to bring a brewpub or bistro to the ground floor and locate a hotel on top that could attract people visiting the nearby University of Portland or industrial business clients currently served by the La Quinta on U.S. 30 in Northwest Portland.

John’s Tavern has changed hands three times in the last five years. It's also been known as Brad’s and Dad’s. Situated on the St. Johns Plaza, at the entrance to the St. Johns Bridge, it has to be one of the most important locations in the community. Yet for years the building has been a tavern and in the past a magnet for police calls. From 2003 to 2008 the building averaged 15 calls for police a year, which is above average for a bar.

(Go to this 2008 posting from when Dad’s closed and you’ll see in the comments the sentiment that has pervaded the neighborhood for years.)

“I’ve been saying, someone has to do something with that building to make the rest of St. Johns fall into place,” Davis said. “So we’re stepping up to the plate.”

The project still has a lot of hurdles to clear. But people already seem thrilled about the prospect of a change.

“I’ve had police officers throw their arms around me and give me a hug,” Davis said. “Everyone has just been so excited about it.”

More community news on our North Portland blog

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._be_resto.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:11 AM

20th and Pettygrove update from 3-4-2012:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:23 AM

Wow. I just noticed this post from last December. This is one of the most hideous designs I've seen in awhile.

What talented, creative, flying-roof-loving local architecture firm put this together anyways?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:28 AM
momentum

It makes me feel centered and balanced. Ohm.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:42 AM

i'm sorry, but i just don't get the "hat" on practically every single new building. does it serve some purpose?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:25 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I happen to enjoy the extended roofline. I very much like a building with some sort of top rather than one that just stops at some point. That being said... I look at this and see what should be either four balconies at the top story, or at least four very nice window garden spaces. It's a shame they're not.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:04 PM

^ 'Totally agree. If I lived on that floor i would probably just put some plant out there anyway. Maybe just put some concrete in the bottom of the pot though, so it doesn't fly off and kill someone.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:24 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Roof "hats," or "eaves," as they are actually called, are required in the alphabet district in order to pass the Portland Design Commission's rules for that district.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:13 AM

wtf. any idea why?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:39 PM

Portland's motto:

If it is allowed, it is required.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:25 PM

End of an era: New Old Lompoc to close April 28
Published: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 7:07 AM Updated: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 5:26 PM
John Foyston, Special to The Oregonian By John Foyston, Special to The Oregonian

They're getting ready for the Lompocalypse --- a week of parties that ends on April 28 when the historic pub closes and will be razed for something shiny and new. (The other four Lompoc pubs --- Fifth Quadrant, Sidebar, Hedge House and Oaks Bottom are unaffected and will remain open.) The New Old Lompoc was never shiny and new, having opened in the 1990s in a building that was already vintage stock, to put it kindly, and which restaurateurs Goforth and Rice named after the hotel in the classic W.C. Fields movie, "The Bank Dick."

Instead, the NOL was one of the last bits of funkiness on an ever-more-trendy 23rd Avenue, and bless it for that. Lompoc owner Jerry Fechter and his brewers and friends will be at the old brewery today brewing a double IPA called Lompocalypse for the party scheduled for the NOL's last week, and I'll post photos later of the event.

I'll have details of the last week as they're confirmed and a story on the Living cover of The Oregonian as the time draws closer. Meanwhile, here's what I wrote back in 1997 when the New Old Lompoc was the newest thing in town.

IS OLD NEW, OR NEW OLD AT OLD LOMPOC HOUSE?

After a couple of pints of Bourbon Street Bitter, a person could become a tad confused about why the Old Lompoc House came after the New Old Lompoc House, which was named after the original Old Lompoc House.

Which didn't exist, really.

It's simple: the first Old Lompoc House figured prominently in W.C. Fields' 1941 film "The Bank Dick.'' It inspired the name of the New Old Lompoc House, which was restaurateur Pete Goforth's favorite hangout during his college days three decades ago at what was then Portland State College.

"It was a great place,'' Goforth says. "It was one of those taverns in the area that had a line out the door. Our place has a very comparable feel -- if you'd been to the old place, you'd feel right at home.''

Don't be deceived by the Northwest 23rd Avenue address, either -- the Old Lompoc lives up to its inheritance by being old, comfortable and about as glitzy as a well-worn sofa. Which is a close approximation of the gas-lit, tumbledown, legendarily unpretentious New Old Lompoc House, razed 30 years ago during urban renewal.

Only the beer taps would give it away. Instead of Hamms, they dispense Lompoc Golden Ale, Bourbon Street Bitter and Erst Fest. It's the latest enterprise undertaken by Goforth and Rice Restaurants, which operates seven restaurants in the Portland area and -- out in back of the Old Lompoc -- one brewery. ``Brewing is very natural for us to get into,'' Goforth says. ``Somehow, when you're 57, brewing beer seems much more fun than making cocktails.''

Though the company opened the Old Lompoc a couple of years ago, the brewery had to wait while two bars and the kitchen were finished. Given that the old building was not easily adaptable to a brewery, they opted to build a small new structure in the back courtyard of the restaurant.

Since the days of the Old Lompoc are limited -- the property owner will eventually bulldoze the building and build offices on the lot -- the new brewery favors efficiency over showiness. As simply constructed as it is, the new brewery wasn't ready to roll until mid-December, says brewer Jerry Fechter.

"We had things like a plumbing inspector whose previous job was looking at the piping at Henry Weinhard's,'' Fechter says. ``So when he saw the way we did things, he thought a lot of things were wrong.''

Just different, as it turns out -- the brewery consists of two small rooms with a walk-in cooler, so even the seven-barrel fermenter is mounted on wheels to make the most of space.

And a sip of Lompoc beer will convince people that the brewery works fine. Fechter's first brew was Erst (German for first) Fest, which blends five grains plus Hallertau and Cascade hops. He went on to make Bourbon Street Bitter, Lompoc Golden and a delicately flavored apricot wheat ale, all of which display to one degree or another Fechter's penchant for a crisp beer.

"I'm a dry, crisp beer guy,'' he says. "I'm not a fan of huge malty beers. I think things have been moving away from hoppy beers recently, but that's what I like.''

Turns out the boss is happy, too. "I'm ecstatic,'' Goforth says. "As a lifelong Hamms drinker, I like micros for the array of flavors and styles, but as a relatively new microbrew drinker, I still prefer the lighter beers. Our customers love it, too -- they've already run us out of the Golden. Now comes the difficult part, which is making the second batch taste like the first.''

When the brewery gets up to a comfortable 40 barrels per month, it'll supply beer for all the Goforth and Rice restaurants. Even if the Old Lompoc's future is uncertain, the future of brewing at Goforth and Rice is not: Pete Goforth has at least two more locations that'd be perfect for breweries.

But beer and ambience are not the only elements of a good neighborhood tavern: Good burgers are also vital. The Old Lompoc makes several varieties, accompanied by thick, hand-cut fries or a salad. The menu also includes a wide selection of sandwiches, good onion rings, a dozen appetizers, several salads and what was recently voted as Oregon's best clam chowder.

Add in the busy pool table, comfortable, woody interior and the vintage photos and tin signs on the wall, and you've got a blessed respite from trendiness. Goforth likes the Old Lompoc for all those reasons and one more.

"Brewing is great -- I've been running restaurants for 25 years, but out in the brewery is the first time I've been able to use anything I learned while getting a degree in engineering.''

http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhe..._lompoc_t.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland