HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 7:52 PM
Zazi Dans le Miami Metro

UM ready to break ground on life sciences park

The University of Miami has its own stimulus plan for South Florida: a life science park set to break ground in July with the expectation of creating 4,531 permanent jobs and a $253 million annual economic output.

The university has signed a development deal with Hanover, Md.-based Wexford Science & Technology for the first phase of the project, which would encompass 211,000 square feet out of the 2 million square feet in six buildings ultimately planned for the life science park, said Dr. Bart Chernow, whose titles include VP of special programs and vice provost of technology advancement at UM Miller School of Medicine.

The UM Life Science Park would house both established and spin-off companies looking to partner with university researchers. It would offer leases of preconstructed wet labs, offices and shared facilities as technology development suites.

READ MORE HERE:
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2009/05/11/story2.html?b=1242014400^1824426

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 7:55 PM
Zazi Dans le Miami Metro

Miami building project stopped after human bones found

MIAMI - Construction of a multimillion dollar apartment building is on hold while authorities investigate the discovery of human bones at the site, CBS 4 reports.

The project was shut down Wednesday after construction workers found the bones.

Kelly Penton, with the city of Miami, said workers found the bones as they were digging at Northwest 71st Street and Fourth Avenue. Miami police have confirmed the bones are human.

It is suspected that the construction site was once a cemetery dating back to the late 1800s.

The remains that have been uncovered are at the Medical Examiner's office.

Other experts are expected to head to the scene to do more digging; excavation of the entire area could take years and may shut down the entire construction project.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,5806444.story

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 8:53 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 10:02 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:45 PM

nice addition to the southern edge of the skyline

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:41 AM
Le ronca los mamelles

Sonesta Mikado Hotel to start work in June once $16 million rebate is in hand

By Yudislaidy Fernandez
Construction on the $100-plus million, 36-story Sonesta Mikado Hotel in the Omni area will start in June, says Miami developer Tibor Hollo — right after a city vote to give the hotel a $16 million tax rebate.
The mixed-use hotel comes before the Omni Community Redevelopment Agency next week, when Miami commissioners acting as the agency's board are to decide on the rebate of tax increment financing.
The Zyscovich Architects-designed hotel, at 1701 NE 4th Ave., is to have about 252 hotel rooms and 120 suites managed by Sonesta, said Mr. Hollo, chairman and president of Florida East Coast Realty.
Mr. Hollo said he hopes the luxury project — with amenities such as a 20,000-square-foot, full-service spa, upscale restaurant and about 40,000 square feet slated for medical offices — becomes a catalyst to jump start development downtown.
"Nothing is moving," he said. "You used to see hundreds of cranes and now you see none."
An estimated 300 people are to be hired in the hotel — to be completed in 22 months — and another 600 are to do construction, he said.
"For construction, we'll be hiring all local contractors. We are not hiring outside," he said.
The project's value and job creation are some elements that could make it eligible to receive a rebate from the Community Redevelopment Agency.
Executive Director Jim Villacorta said the agency has long thought of rebates as an incentive for developers to build within the agency's boundaries, encouraging them to build projects faster and get them on the tax roll.
The redevelopment agency fills its coffers by setting a base value for the area's real property and receiving for agency use the tax increment above the base level as property values rise.
"We are not giving them money up front," Mr. Villacorta said. "If they don't build, they don't get anything."
Last month, the agency reached its first tax rebate agreement with Miami developer Ignacio Garcia Du-Quesne, who plans a $200 million retail and office project known as Bayview Market, also in the Omni area. He plans to begin work next year, he says.
Bayview Market is eligible for a 50% tax rebate once completed, totaling up to $20 million.
Mr. Hollo says he is awaiting the redevelopment agency's May 18 vote before he can begin construction on the multi-million dollar project, for which he says he has financing in place.
Agency officials have voiced interest in the project because of the hospitality jobs it would yield and the medical tourism it could attract to the Omni area.
But inherited debt already limits the agency's funds.
The agency spent close to half of the Omni redevelopment district's $14.5 million budget this year to pay off construction loans the city inherited from Miami-Dade County for the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. That contribution is to continue annually.
The upscale Asian-themed hotel is to be managed by Boston-based Sonesta, a company that operates a hotel in Coconut Grove and formerly owned one in Key Biscayne.
"It will be a very lovely urban hotel, resort," said Stephanie Sonnabend, president and CEO of Sonesta International Hotels Corp., "something the Sonesta has been involved in for many years in Coconut Grove."
Other amenities include a recreation deck, bar and grill, and 14,000 square feet designed for meetings.
With very little development rising in Miami, she said, the company is optimistic about this venture with a longtime developer.
"If anyone can do this, it is Tibor Hollo," she said. "He has such a strong development record." Miami-based Florida East Coast Realty says it has built more than 55 million square feet of developments in the past five decades.
Said Ms. Sonnabend: "We really see this [area] as a growing and exciting destination part of Miami."

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:55 AM
Endless Moments...

Great pics. Looking good...

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 5:09 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:30 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

From wirednewyork.com :
Bayfront Plaza redesign completes

Terra Architecture has announced the completion of its redesign of One Bayfront Plaza, a US1.8 billion dollars landmark project set to redefine the skyline of Miami. Terra Architecture initially won the competition to design what will be Miami’s tallest building in 2006 and has been developing the design of this mixed use project since. An extensive redesign of the project which began last Autumn has just completed with the project now composed of a single 1,010 ft tall iconic tower with unparalleled views of Biscayne Bay.

One Bayfront Plaza is located at the heart of Downtown Miami, encompassing 2 city blocks. The project totals approximately 4 million sq ft, with 1.3 million sq ft of signature Class A office space, an 850 room hotel, 150,000 sq ft of retail area and one of the highest observation decks in the country, all located in the mixed use, 80 storey tower. The project is being designed to achieve LEED Silver certification.

The 850 key, world class, full service hotel, will be supplemented by 120,000 sq ft of banquet and exhibition space to serve significant conventions and meetings as well as the needs of the office and retail components.

The retail component fills the first three floors and will create a parallel destination for the 12 million annual visitors to Bayside Marketplace as well as for the more than 4 million annual cruise ship passengers.

The development schedule remains on track for groundbreaking in 2011 and the completion of the project in 2015.

a few renders that came with the news:

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:47 PM

Now that will be the ultimate for Miami!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 10:45 PM

I havent been in Miami for years...

Did the MET project (Met 3? The 70 story one) ever get built? I remember seeing ads for it back in 2001ish

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:04 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
I havent been in Miami for years...

Did the MET project (Met 3? The 70 story one) ever get built? I remember seeing ads for it back in 2001ish
No, Met3 (which would have been our new tallest) never got built, and both Emporis and the World Almanac keep saying it's under construction.

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 3:53 PM

thanks for the pics NewAtlantis! MET 2 is shaping up nicely as is 1450 Brickell. Considering this recession it's amazing we are still building 3 office towers downtown & in Brickell.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 3:24 AM
Endless Moments...

Nice updates. Really hope One Bayfront Plaza get built. Very Kewl...

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 2:52 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
thanks for the pics NewAtlantis! MET 2 is shaping up nicely as is 1450 Brickell. Considering this recession it's amazing we are still building 3 office towers downtown & in Brickell.
You are welcome. I think all three office towers got their financing before the recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Nice updates. Really hope One Bayfront Plaza get built. Very Kewl...

I think the fact that One Bayfront Plaza is on track and still go for launch only goes to show what kind of money and power it has behind it. I think Tibor Hollo is just one of a lot of names with money behind that tower.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 9:07 PM

Bayfront Plaza

Damn. If that thing gets built, it will be one.sweet.skyline.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:03 PM

The Port Tunnel & The Future of I-395

Quote:
Two big infrastructure projects are back in the picture as the FDOT has resurrected the Port Tunnel deal while quietly trying to build support for the reconstruction of I-395 as a super elevated highway. The tunnel project, touted as the remedy for removing truck traffic from downtown streets, was all but dead until FDOT Director Stephanie Kopelousos approved new cash backers. Friends of Transit Miami have also alerted us that FDOT District 6 is quietly reaching out to Overtown residents to build support for their prefered alternative of a $580 million super elevated highway, saying it will reconnect the neighborhood that was devastated by the construction of the existing I-395 nearly 60 years ago.

Too bad FDOT. A billion here, half a billion there. Seems like they love to play with monopoly money, all the while playing down the benefits of the most logical answer: to depress the highway opening up acres of expensive downtown land. The $800 million price tag for removing the highway will be offset by the newly vacant (and taxable) downtown blocks, while nixing the tunnel in favor of using existing rail will save the state (and us taxpayers) over a billion dollars. Check out this great article detailing the I-395 options. I’ll post more on this in the coming days. No public meetings have been set yet, but we’ll let you know as soon as we know.

Related articles of I-395 alternatives:

http://bobmiami.com/2007/05/08/fdot-...for-the-i-395/

http://www.floridacdc.org/members/ov...essway-art.htm

I do not like the idea of a super-elevated highway. I think it is going backward. The I-395 is blight enough, and psychologically, when people look at it, it looks like it's "in the way." Before the Performing arts center, where there were all of those empty warehouses. Going from Bayside towards the I-395, it looked like it was a "gateway" to the "bad side of town."

I really wish they could depress the I-395. It would open up 40 acres of land for development and reconnect downtown. Possibly even revitalize Overtown. If it was underground, it would likely encourage more development North, around the midtown area. It would be one continuous stream between the grove, brickell, CBD, Omni, Edgewater, etc.

Also, the land could be used for parks and retail. It would connect the Performing arts center with Bicentennial and Bayside. It would be a great asset to the Miami "Parks and Public Places" Master plan. They could create a Lincoln-road type setting there with the inclusion parks and public art.

Personally, the most exciting aspect of this is the connection of the club district. Connecting the Park West clubs [Space, Nocturnal, Studio A, etc.] with the Media & Entertainment District Clubs [White Room, PS14, Vagabond]. Both the mainstream and the "indie clubs." It would also encourage the opening of more clubs and corresponding 24-hour restaurants or retail. My friend used to have a goth night at White Room, and I go there or to PS14 every once in a while. I'm tired of seeing all of the abandoned buildings and peddlers around the area. They scare people off. I wish they would do something with the area [looking forward to the nearby Miami World Center though]. That area has a great potential to be a "Las Olas Boulevard" type of area. I would like to just see even a 24-hour CVS or Walgreens within walking distance and a 24-hour pizza place just so I can walk out of the club to get some food or an alka-seltzer or something.

This leads me to something else. Anyone know of any plans for the M&E District. Specifically the area where White Room, PS14, Vagabond, and Karu & Y, etc. There are all of these empty buildings!! They annoy me.

Last edited by mechanesthesia; Jun 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations