HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 9:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
This project has been in development for a while. The Ribfest sponsorship makes it seem newer than it is. For the past couple of years they've been fighting a 20-year-old zoning bylaw that would cap the site at 10 storeys -- 25 storeys would make this Burlington's tallest building.

I've heard rumours that Molinaro Group may in the process of moving their HQ to Burlington, possibly to get leverage for Strata. I have a feeling that the location of Burlington's downtown and the city's willingness to plunk condos along its waterfront are factors behind the development of 360 on Pearl, Spencer’s Landing, Bunton’s Wharf etc. Strata, at a half-km from the water (and the QEW, commuters will be pleased to learn), is the firm's most inland offering yet. Pretty much everything they build is spitting distance from the water.
their current HQ is in a stupid spot...the ground floor of an apartment on Market St. Lol.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 11:46 PM

Interesting discussion! Yeah Hamilton is urban vs Burlington being suburban.. so Hamilton naturally has more life. Earlier this summer on a Saturday we went to lunch at Emma's Backporch and then walked along the waterfront, stopping at really cool coffee place on Brant right across from the water. There was a ton of streetlife... I think it was just a couple days before (or after) Sound of Music.

Burlington has some great infrastructure and potential along the waterfront. Not really an urban setting... but a great area where you don't need a car to get around (well, except to go to work!)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 12:17 AM
Closed account

yea, that tiny area of Burlington certainly beats the tar out of Mississuga and the rest of Halton/Peel/Durham/York etc......
If I was a suburban type, I'd much rather live in a little spot like downtown Burlington than the rest of it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 7:31 PM
On Guard For Thee

I wouldn't call it "tiny"--the majority of the city south of Fairview--and all of it south of New, is of a more urban than suburban density. I've never understood the unwillingness to give Burlington's urban area the credit it deserves--though Hamiltonians have no reason at all to have an inferiority complex in regard to Burlington, it has always (sadly) come off that way. As has been said many times, Downtown Burlington and Downtown Hamilton are apples and oranges--both unique, different, and enjoyable.

I spent many warm nights at Emma's in my youth, ingesting beer.

An interesting bit of history--much of Spencer Smith Park was originally slated for a massive apartment/condo development in the 1970s called "The Anchorage"--it was huge--basically a "wall" between Downtown and the Lake in much the same way Toronto's view of it's own lakefront is blocked...The City of Burlington ultimately put the gears to that plan.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 7:41 PM
Closed account

I meant tiny compared with the rest of Burlington. Not tiny in a derogatory way. It's the only urban-feeling area in the entire city.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
the majority of the city south of Fairview--and all of it south of New, is of a more urban than suburban density.
This is completely untrue. Do you mean just along Brant Street? Even so, its a stretch..

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:25 AM

I do not find downtown Burlington to be "dead" most of the time. It may not be downtown Hamilton, but it has a lot of good stuff (and much of it can not be found in downtown Ham):

- streetwalls filled with businesses, some of which are outlined in the following points
- restaurants, pubs, and patios
- Rude Native Bistro, which closed down in Hamilton
- a bakery
- a comic book shop (I don't believe that downtown Hamilton has one any longer)
- a nice waterfront that has a skating rink in the wintertime
- fun summer festivals
- a couple of nice ice cream shops
- a multiplex (Upper Canada, which does not show films until after their release dates, but it still counts)
- a relatively nice looking city hall
- condo towers
- professional services (lawyers, doctors, etc.)
- a hotel (maybe more than one... I'm not sure)
- the Burlington Arts Centre
- a hospital a few blocks from the centre
- people of all ages, with a distinct lack of bums
- cleanliness

It is definitely not without appeal or charm.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:30 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I do not find downtown Burlington to be "dead" most of the time. It may not be downtown Hamilton, but it has a lot of good stuff (and much of it can not be found in downtown Ham):

- streetwalls filled with businesses, some of which are outlined in the following points
- a bakery
- fun summer festivals
- a multiplex (Upper Canada, which does not show films until after their release dates, but it still counts)
- condo towers
- cleanliness

you don't really want us to respond to this list with Hamilton's downtown amenities do you??
save the skating rink, all of the above can be found in downtown Hamilton and in much larger numbers as well as a huge host of other amenities that can't be found in Burlington.
Don't try to turn this into a comparison of the downtowns....it's not even close.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 6:55 AM
On Guard For Thee

I don't think anyone is trying to incite a comparo of the two downtowns. I dont speak on anyone else's behalf - but I would say the list was merely pointing out some of the things Downtown B has going for it--it's not intended as a put-down of Hamilton, far from it. As has been said many times before, the two Downtowns are completely different animals--each unique. The truth is the Burlington has a lot going for it and a lot of positive momentum. It seems, at times, that people are loathe to acknowledge that fact.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 12:05 PM
Closed account

using the inaccurate sentence - "much of it cannot be found in downtown ham", would indicate a comparison, but alas, it's inaccurate and probably meant to stir up the board as per usual.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
you don't really want us to respond to this list with Hamilton's downtown amenities do you??
save the skating rink, all of the above can be found in downtown Hamilton and in much larger numbers as well as a huge host of other amenities that can't be found in Burlington.
Don't try to turn this into a comparison of the downtowns....it's not even close.
This is crazy. I mentioned a list of things found in downtown Burlington to reinforce my belief that it has a lot going for it. I acknowledged that it may "not be downtown Hamilton" and brought up Ham as an aside only because a comparision had been mentioned throughout the conversation. I was certainly not bringing it up out of the blue:

From RTH:
Quote:
I was over there twice recently for an appointment.
beautiful sunny days early evening and mid-day. ...
Both times I came back downtown Hamilton afterwards to streets filled with people, patios full on James,Hess,Augusta and a much more vibrant scene.
From fastcarsfreedom:
Quote:
Everyone finds Downtown Burlington to be "dead"--yet it is the home of several developments the likes of which everyone here salivates over--wishing such would come to Hamilton.
From RTH:
Quote:
Burlington's is largely suburban and I'm guessing most buyers in these projects are older folks, not young 'hipsters' looking for a cool urban experience which is what you see in downtown Hamilton.
From adam:
Quote:
Interesting discussion! Yeah Hamilton is urban vs Burlington being suburban.. so Hamilton naturally has more life.
From fastcarsfreedom:
Quote:
As has been said many times, Downtown Burlington and Downtown Hamilton are apples and oranges--both unique, different, and enjoyable.
I was not inciting or instigating anything. I was not saying that Burlington is better than Hamilton.

Last edited by BCTed; Sep 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:04 PM

Quote:
using the inaccurate sentence - "much of it cannot be found in downtown ham", would indicate a comparison, but alas, it's inaccurate and probably meant to stir up the board as per usual.
If so, then you took the bait...........

I'd agree that both downtown's have their unique differences, and good and bad issues.

Personally, I like Hamilton's downtown, though I agree it could definitely be better. And I'm sure I could easily fill an afternoon/evening in Burlington's downtown.

Someone please remind me what this has to do with Burlington's MAC campus????

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:08 PM

Quote:
It is not inaccurate. There is no skating rink, no Rude Native Bistro, and no comic book shop in downtown Hamilton --- none of this is a knock against the city. Lest I be banned, I am finished with this conversation.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:41 PM

BCTed is right, some of what he listed can't be found in Downtown Hamilton, but some of it can.........

A comparison perhaps, but I don't think it was with any malicious intent.

Let's just call this one a draw (whether you agree it's a draw, or not let's just call it a draw) , and get back on the topic.

Does anyone have any update on Mac's snag/progress in Burlington?????

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:42 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post

- a bakery
- fun summer festivals
- condo towers
- cleanliness

yes nice and charming but tiny

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:45 PM
Closed account

of 17 items listed, 3 can't be found in downtown Hamilton. And we're all happy the Rude Native is one of them. The place was horrible.
I don't call 3 of 17 to be "much of it cannot be found in downtown Ham".
I could add a few dozen items to the list that certainly CAN'T be found in burlington.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 4:17 PM

How's the proposed Mac campus coming in Burlington these days?? Does anyone have an update??

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 7:28 PM
Closed account

apparently they are having meetings to discuss the various shades of stucco that may or may not be used on their buildings. The last I heard is that they've narrowed it down to beige or light beige.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 7:33 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
And we're all happy the Rude Native is one of them. The place was horrible.
I loved the Rude Native. Their Spicy Mussels were almost unbearably good.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 7:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
I loved the Rude Native. Their Spicy Mussels were almost unbearably good.
Lol...that exact dish is what turned us off forever! TWICE we ordered it and both times got a huge plate of rotten, stinky mussles. Once I can pass as a mistake, twice in a row is a bad resto! haha.
This was in the final year before they closed, after they lost their flagship chef (who now owns the fabulous Boo's Bistro on James South). He was the man behind the Rude Native. Once they lost him to The Junction, the place went right down the toilet and closed in short order.

If you haven't checked out Boo's, do it! Awesome spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs