HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Okay, just checking.

Has there been a timeline set for when Waterloo Park will open? Is there also any word on when work is expected to begin along the stretch between Waterloo Park and the river? Seeing as how the intake facility is nearly completed (again). I would think that the conservancy could move forward with some restoration projects, at least with areas that are farther from the creek until the tunnel is fully operational.

This whole ordeal has taken so much longer than expected for the obvious reason of the intake facility. Just curious if there is some sort of timeline that we can go by? This will be a great addition once completed but would like to see it within my lifetime lol.
On 2/5/17, the AAS had an article about the $15 million renovation to the park which will begin this year and be completed sometime in 2019. Sorry, still a bit vague, but certainly within our lifetimes. 2019 will be an exciting year for Austin with many projects slated to be completed that year, including the current airport expansion and new wave of DT construction topped out. I might have to quit smoking and get myself in better shape so I can be around to see it. I predict that the creek redevelopment will be in full swing, and that a long awaited 800+ foot office tower will be announced, but eventually downsized to another 400 - 500 footer.

Last edited by the Genral; Mar 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 10:45 PM
Member since 2001

The final phase ("the renovation") should break ground in July and take about 18-24 months to complete. However, the fourth incarnation of an amphitheater may take a bit longer. Yes, this is the fourth version of said amphitheater.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 10:59 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...TC4VLhKqd0rXO/

Key quotes:

The conservancy is starting with Waller Creek because it provides the biggest public benefit and is a blockbuster project:

Quote:
“We’re going big and going first to get to get things jump-started,” Moody said. “The Waller Creek project has something for everybody. It will cross all boundaries. People can go down there, enjoy it, let their hair down.”
And then they're doing Palm Park next:

Quote:
Once work on Waterloo Park wraps up, Mullan said he anticipates Palm Park, near the Austin Convention Center, will be the next phase of Waller Creek’s makeover. It’s a project city leaders hope more organizations will step up to help fund, just like the Moody Foundation has already done.
The whole series of parks should take 7-10 years:

Quote:
Once Waller Creek Park is fully complete, which should be in seven to 10 years, Moody says parkgoers could walk all the way from the UT campus to Lady Bird Lake “without ever crossing a road or seeing a car.”

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:34 PM

I know some of the guys who work are working on the tunnel project; it sounds like Waller Park Place and whatever they are now calling the project at the Southeast corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez are waiting for the tunnel to become operational before the projects move forward. Something about the lenders being shy to fund any major projects in the floodplain.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:41 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
I know some of the guys who work are working on the tunnel project; it sounds like Waller Park Place and whatever they are now calling the project at the Southeast corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez are waiting for the tunnel to become operational before the projects move forward. Something about the lenders being shy to fund any major projects in the floodplain.
I don't think leaders would be "funding" the project. It's more likely that it wouldn't get approval if it's still in a floodplain. Maybe I'm wrong, though? I don't recall Waller Creek flooding all that much, at least not outside of its banks.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 9:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't think leaders would be "funding" the project. It's more likely that it wouldn't get approval if it's still in a floodplain. Maybe I'm wrong, though? I don't recall Waller Creek flooding all that much, at least not outside of its banks.
Isn't WPP's site plan already approved?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 9:28 PM
Meh

I don't remember. I've pretty much written that project off. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm glad I haven't been holding my breath all this time.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I wish the city would give us an update on what's happening. Its odd that a major project which is expected to transform the east end of DT has had no public updates over the last several months. Its as if it's been quietly swept under the rug. Our drone forumers should take some pictures of Waterloo Park from above so we can get a good idea about the status of the intake facility as well as what else has been accomplished in the park.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I wish the city would give us an update on what's happening. Its odd that a major project which is expected to transform the east end of DT has had no public updates over the last several months. Its as if it's been quietly swept under the rug. Our drone forumers should take some pictures of Waterloo Park from above so we can get a good idea about the status of the intake facility as well as what else has been accomplished in the park.
I dont get downtown too much but have been wanting to go on a sunny less windy day. I might try and head down sunday. were you wanting up near the start close to the hospital or the end where it enters town lake? The helicopter pad at the hospital would make it difficult for the starting point but the town lake part should be easy to get.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:59 AM
Meh

Isn't Brackenridge closed now? I thought I noticed the sign was missing the last time I saw it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:42 AM

it is closed. I figured the new hospital would have a heliport just as busy.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:51 AM
Meh

Groundbreaking on the Waller Creek trail is tomorrow.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...l19IS2IVv2IzO/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Groundbreaking on the Waller Creek trail is tomorrow.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...l19IS2IVv2IzO/
I read the complete article, they are still mentioning a floating pedestrian bridge over Lady Bird Lake. I was hoping that idea was dead. The last phase includes and I quote, "moving and knocking down the police building". Now I know what they meant, but not sure what the editor does, certainly not proof reads. Anyway, it wouldn't be for quite a few years down the road, but I'll be happy to see that police station go after a new one gets built, but where? Where it currently stands will become 'The Refuge', mostly parkland with development along the edges fronting I35, and 9th St. Phase 1 is rebuilding Waterloo Park, a $64 Million price tag which is still short $21 Million, but hopes to have completed by 2019. I can see renovation compromises like we saw with the Long Center when they fell short of contributions. Overall, glad to see some movement on this project. I'm assuming they are pretty much finished with the tunnel portion of it. One other phase involves expanding Palm Park and using Palm School as a community area, whatever that means. I know some of you would love to see that building demolished. And one of you to see the name changed to 'Death To All Palm Trees, Park'.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I read the complete article, they are still mentioning a floating pedestrian bridge over Lady Bird Lake. I was hoping that idea was dead.
I'm not going to worry until I see something besides some vague "vision" slides from years ago (engineering docs, cost estimates, etc.)

And no, the Statesman is not a reputable/reliable source.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:09 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'm not going to worry until I see something besides some vague "vision" slides from years ago (engineering docs, cost estimates, etc.)

And no, the Statesman is not a reputable/reliable source.
Good, well not good that they are not reliable, but good that the stupid pontoon bridge might not happen. They would essentially be cutting off boat movement twice a day including the double decker boats. Plus why even have a "bridge" if it only connects a couple times a day. Just build a regular freaking bridge like the Pflueger Pedestrian Bridge and be done with it.

Better yet combine a pedestrian crossing with some sort of rail crossing which takes care of two needs at once.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:00 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Good, well not good that they are not reliable, but good that the stupid pontoon bridge might not happen. They would essentially be cutting off boat movement twice a day including the double decker boats. Plus why even have a "bridge" if it only connects a couple times a day. Just build a regular freaking bridge like the Pflueger Pedestrian Bridge and be done with it.

Better yet combine a pedestrian crossing with some sort of rail crossing which takes care of two needs at once.
Yep. I'd totally support a pedestrian bridge in that area - and build it to where it could work for rail in the future should there be an option for that. Having a bridge that could take on a rail component already in place would be a big win for any future votes for a rail/transportation bond.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Yep. I'd totally support a pedestrian bridge in that area - and build it to where it could work for rail in the future should there be an option for that. Having a bridge that could take on a rail component already in place would be a big win for any future votes for a rail/transportation bond.
I know right?!

Also, I can think up quite a few scenarios that could and probably would happen with a moving pontoon bridge that just solidifies the point that it's a terrible idea.

People could be trying to cross right as it disconnects, and believe me whether or not there's set times, people will be trying to cross it or be on it. What if someone's in a hurry to get over to the Rainey Street District for work or whatever and it breaks apart just as they are trying to get to the half way point. Their screwed. I can see all sorts of mishaps with such a "bridge" and who knows what Austinites would think of doing for the fun on that thing. We got some crazy peeps lol.

Better to have a real bridge crossing with a rail component.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:04 PM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:13 PM
Meh

Waterloo Park sort of feels "off the beaten path" in downtown to me, but I'm sure that's going to change with the redevelopment that will happen around Brackenridge. It really will become the next node in downtown in the way that 2nd Street has.

I'm really excited about it. I love parks and public spaces. I remember being really excited about Butler Park and, of course, the boardwalk. I really hope there is a pedestrian bridge going across the river, and it should connect with the boardwalk at some point.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:18 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Waterloo Park sort of feels "off the beaten path" in downtown to me, but I'm sure that's going to change with the redevelopment that will happen around Brackenridge. It really will become the next node in downtown in the way that 2nd Street has.

I'm really excited about it. I love parks and public spaces. I remember being really excited about Butler Park and, of course, the boardwalk. I really hope there is a pedestrian bridge going across the river, and it should connect with the boardwalk at some point.
I wish the state would allow ground floor retail and/or food in their new plans for their land.

There is relatively little you can do when an area closes completely after 5:00 in the afternoon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin