HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Interesting. The wavy balcony thing has definitely been overdone

Overdone? Where? How so? 1 in 25 proprosals is not overdone imo, and that number even seems high. It's probably 1 in 50 or even less.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Overdone? Where? How so? 1 in 25 proposals is not overdone imo, and that number even seems high. It's probably 1 in 50 or even less.
You selectively quoted the one part that was negative. I also said this proposal looks elegant and well done. You can't pretend the wavy balcony thing hasn't become a trend since Aqua in Chicago with every new iteration looking less and less original.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Has Hamilton ever left the era of brutalism?
Oh snap!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
You selectively quoted the one part that was negative.
Why would I quote more then what I wanted to respond to?
You can't point out more then only a handful of towers and say something has been overdone. It's just not the case. You make it sound as though there are a sea of these types of proposals kicking around. It's simply not true.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Why would I quote more then what I wanted to respond to?
You can't point out more then only a handful of towers and say something has been overdone. It's just not the case. You make it sound as though there are a sea of these types of proposals kicking around. It's simply not true.
A simple google search:

Just in Toronto:

For the record I actually like wavy balcony buildings when done well. You can't deny it's a trend though.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:01 PM

Ok, now lets start looking at more traditional designs and then do the math. This style is not over done at all. One only has to do a "simple" google search of any cities skyline to prove that logical point. Yes it is a trend but one that hasn't been done very often especially in North American cities.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Jun 30, 2017 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:07 PM
I am the law!

yeah, more than half of all residential developments in Toronto over the course of the last five years have used balconies as architectural expression. This is no different. Only the balconies are wavy, angled, coloured whatever.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i wish edmonton would stop the skyscraper fetish....it needs 20 low rise projects instead....even when all the towers are done it will be sterile....so much building but is it the right kind of building?...what kind of city is being created?
I am not sure why you would think that Edmonton should stop building skyscrapers. Edmonton is just starting to break out of a decades long height restriction and now that the city is starting to build up you rather it have it build masses of low rise buildings. Really? Not sure how someone from Winnipeg would not appreciate what's happening here in Edmonton.

As for quality of design, the buildings are looking great. Hardly sterile from what I can see but more towards classic clean designs. And the whole concept with the unique arena with the winter garden and the up and coming plaza full of restaurants and cafes and shops could not be farther from "sterile". But of course, you will really need to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:35 PM
I am the law!

Nothing wrong with tall buildings. Edmonton's approach to them (i.e. Ice District) leaves a lot to be desired. It's a popular theme. Every city has built or is building incarnations of the Ice District. The difference is the ICE District is being used as the centrepiece for the rebirth of downtown Edmonton and every Tom, Dick and Harry is now aspiring to build there own awe inspiring tower development that lacks the intimacy and hidden discoveries typical of a downtown pedestrian experience. It's all right in your face. It will also take 10 times longer to fill all the emptiness throughout downtown Edmonton. Phase One of the Ice District and the half dozen other towers going up will satisfy demand for quite a while.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Nothing wrong with tall buildings. Edmonton's approach to them (i.e. Ice District) leaves a lot to be desired. It's a popular theme. Every city has built or is building incarnations of the Ice District. The difference is the ICE District is being used as the centrepiece for the rebirth of downtown Edmonton and every Tom, Dick and Harry is now aspiring to build there own awe inspiring tower development that lacks the intimacy and hidden discoveries typical of a downtown pedestrian experience. It's all right in your face. It will also take 10 times longer to fill all the emptiness throughout downtown Edmonton. Phase One of the Ice District and the half dozen other towers going up will satisfy demand for quite a while.
I am not sure how you argue that Edmonton's approach with the Ice District is any different that what is happening across Canada. They got Stantec as a lead tenant, J.W. Marriott to run the hotel and sold the condos. Seems exactly what other developers do as well. As for your comment about "intimacy and the downtown pedestrian experience" one would think that Toronto must lack that big time as well given all the towers built there over the last numbers of years. I think you cannot judge how the pedestrian experience will be until the Ice District plaza is complete. I am confident that it will be great and complement the downtown in a very positive way.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:16 PM
I am the law!

I wonder if you even read my post past the first line?

"popular theme"
"every city has built or is building incarnations of the Ice district"

Toronto has the full range of master plans. From the absolute worst to very good. None act as a centrepiece for the overall downtown community. None inspired the rest of the development community to follow suit. I've seen completed communities such as the Ice district. I think I can accurately judge the future experience from what I see forming and all the plans out there.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:27 PM
I am the law!

Edmonton should be looking towards the midrise forms in the East Village in Calgary or the West Donland in Toronto given the size of the apartment market and the vast amount of empty space.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:32 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
I am not sure how you argue that Edmonton's approach with the Ice District is any different that what is happening across Canada. They got Stantec as a lead tenant, J.W. Marriott to run the hotel and sold the condos. Seems exactly what other developers do as well. As for your comment about "intimacy and the downtown pedestrian experience" one would think that Toronto must lack that big time as well given all the towers built there over the last numbers of years. I think you cannot judge how the pedestrian experience will be until the Ice District plaza is complete. I am confident that it will be great and complement the downtown in a very positive way.
His point was that it's a generic cookie cutter style development approach that won't do much to fill all the gaps in the DT I think.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:53 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I revised my drawing of 1429 Yonge:

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=105773

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:54 PM

I don't think it would be economical for developers to do low rise directly downtown. Downtown adjacent yes but the core and it's land prices would would need height to be able to recover costs.

Luckily there's seemingly a moratorium on parking lots and a few lots at a time seem to be getting developed or turned into parks and such. Give it time, we only just started.
"On the surface, the Parasite expects the doctor to heal them for free, the farmer to feed them out of charity. How little they differ from the pervert who prowls the streets, looking for a victim he can ravish for his grotesque amusement."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:10 PM

Is there a thread for Fantasy proposals? Saw this yesterday at the Toronto of the Future exhibit at Toronto Metro Hall.

Reimaging the grain silos at the foot of Bathurst and in the Portlands.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:34 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Is that from that one Jude Law movie with the mechanical organs?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:47 PM

Interesting vision thing and I very much doubt it will ever get built but it does bring up a very interesting question............will Toronto ever allow any structure to be built that is higher than the CN Tower?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
I am not sure how you argue that Edmonton's approach with the Ice District is any different that what is happening across Canada. .
It's most definitively different than Montreal though, where the bulk of new constructions are in the 15 to 20 storeys tall, with a few taller exceptions. Even our new office buildings don't pass the 30-storeys mark. Because of that, the city is very rapidly getting rid of its surface parking lots and densifying at a fast pace. We could have built two 60-storeys towers in Griffintown and let all the rest of the neighborhood look desolate. Instead, we build dozens of 15-20 story buildings, well packed together, and it brings a very "complete" urban landscape.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:24 PM
Look at me!

Indeed, that's what the ice district needs now: a bunch of low and midrises well clustered together, with good street interaction and a solid mixity of uses. Nothing will get rid of that ocean of parking faster than that. And it will also accentuate the new towers.

I think that's one of Griffintown's strongest points, it really brings out the skyline by adding depth and an extra layer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada