HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | The Big Bend

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:51 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/03/16/oi...-in-the-world/

Oiio imagines The Big Bend skyscraper for New York as "the longest building in the world"

Dan Howarth
16 March 2017

Quote:
In response to the swathe of supertall luxury residential towers rising in New York, local studio Oiio has proposed a conceptual skyscraper that loops over to boast length rather than height.

The Big Bend would be formed from a very thin structure that curves at the top and returns to the ground, creating what the architecture firm describes as the longest building in the world.

Oiio, based in New York and Athens, came up with the proposal to highlight the race for height between Manhattan's luxury condo developers.

Real-estate companies are capitalising on a planning law that permits them to purchase air rights from neighbouring buildings, allowing for taller and taller towers on relatively small plots.

"The story of The Big Bend follows a recent trend that has appeared in New York City: the emergence of myriad tall and slender residential skyscrapers," said the studio.

"New York City's zoning laws have created a peculiar set of tricks trough, which developers try to maximise their property's height in order to infuse it with the prestige of a high-rise structure," it continued.

"But what if we substituted height with length? What if our buildings were long instead of tall?"

Renderings show The Big Bend among the luxury apartment towers proposed and under construction on and around West 57rd Street, just south of Central Park, which has become known as Billionaire's Row.

Skinny skyscrapers including SHoP Architects' 111 West 57th Street and Christian de Portzamparc's One57 are both rising on the street, while Jean Nouvel's 53W53 and Rafael Viñoly's 432 Park Avenue are both nearby.

The Skyscraper Museum has nicknamed them "super-slenders" due to their extreme base-width-to-height ratios.

Oiio's design features a grid of large windows, similar to those on Viñoly's skyscraper, but with even smaller floorplates.

Its legs would straddle a historic building to fit into narrow plots either side, then rise to tower over both SHoP and de Portzamparc's buildings.

"If we manage to bend our structure instead of bending the zoning rules of New York, we would be able to create one of the most prestigious buildings in Manhattan," the studio said.

Some of New York's prominent architects have spoken out against the number of luxury residential skyscrapers classed as supertall – measuring between 980 feet (300 metres) and 2,000 feet (600 metres) tall – rising in the city.

Steven Holl said the buildings symbolise inequality in architectural form, while Liz Diller said that the city is at risk of being "consumed by the dollar".

Locals have also voiced concerns about the towers, complaining that they will overshadow Central Park.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:53 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Part of me thinks this would look wicked on Central Park North. Essentially positioned in a manner where it would be equidistance between the two endpoints (width portion of C.Park North)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:47 PM

That Big Bend thing should leave and never be seen again.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:03 PM

So sick of this thing. I don't understand why this 30-minute project by some unemployed architect is getting so much press. Idiots on the radio are now saying that this is going to be built. There are fake news articles all over facebook and even here saying this has been "officially revealed" and that this is going to go up, etc.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
That Big Bend thing should leave and never be seen again.
Style-wise, it actually fits in with NYC architecture -kind of has a late 70's vibe to it. It should be on the North end of CP however, as proposed its too close to 111 and One57...

The non-detailed renders looked bad, but these new ones from excel look interesting.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:35 PM

Tragic.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:05 PM
Love skyscrapers

New York Big Bend 4000 feet ?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:50 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Smile

Given the fact that Burj Dubai and now Kindgdom Tower in Jedda already exist, I see projects like this as entirely possible, although maybe 10 or 20 years down the road in this country.

The question of whether this is doable in NYC specifically is two-fold:

A. Where do you build it?
and
B. What kind of market will it be made to cater to?

Other than that, sure. It's doable; and I'd love to see it happen within my lifetime. Maybe not where it's placed in the render, but somewhere...l.ke maybe at the Downtown end of the Brooklyn Bridge or the Queens side of the 59th St. Bridge. You know...like passing under a Verrazano tower, only three times taller.

BTW, the height in that render looks to me like around 2,100'.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:04 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

It won't be 4,000 feet in height according to the article.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:05 PM
Ω

It's a concept. Someone's project. Not an actual proposal with a developer.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:08 PM

It's been making the news around the world, but it's just an ugly concept project... I wish it would die already

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:12 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Not to toot my own horn; but if anyone's interested, I gave a detailed answer to a poster who just started a new thread on this proposal.
I just didn't want to give an answer here lest I hijack the thread.

But as to *this* future monument to the Apple's greatness, this is IMO a near-supertall that is perfect in every way, from looks to construction technology to marketing strategy.

I recall how it just literally exploded its way into the consciousness of skyscraper enthusiasts worldwide.

*Bang* Here's our deal.

*Boom* ...I mean...Do it.

*Bang* Groundbreaking Day's here.

And all in seemingly crazy rapid succession.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:14 PM

Yea that big bend thing is pretty awful. Reminds me of a carnival ride. Lets not make midtown look like a circus.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 7:09 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

My point is that under the right overall conditions, structures of this magnitude are not only doable, but viable.
One can only dream for now.........

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 7:40 PM

This is painfully obvious satirical social commentary on inequality.

Why are so many people not recognizing this? Are we really that detached as a society?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This is painfully obvious satirical social commentary on inequality.

Why are so many people not recognizing this? Are we really that detached as a society?

YES,----------the other question to ask is how soon does a version of this get built in Dubai? Somehow the satirical nature of this idea loses some/all of its power when placed in a different context.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:30 PM
World Machine

It's a fun concept for the imagination. Perhaps this will inspire something of similar / more practical nature down the line. It made Taxi-TV this week … gave me a laugh

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:24 AM

Looks like an enormous paperclip stuck halfway in the ground.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 11:04 AM

can someone photoshop in a Stargate warp in the middle?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects