HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 5:56 PM

That's a shame if the building was built sub-standardly.

I don't particularly care for the aesthetics of Heritage Place, but it has played an important role in the redevelopment of downtown Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:53 PM

A planned, remaining land transaction had not taken place at the time of the original development agreement's signing and endorsement between the City of Vancouver and Killian Pacific.

That land transaction was completed, and the reference to that purchased parcel (including the Kiggins House) was subsequently added officially (after a city council vote of approval documented in the video) in the updated development agreement. City Council voted unanimously to include the revision.

It has always been the intent to preserve the The Kiggins House (on the National Register of Historic Places). It will be relocated in it's entirety, to a site approved by the City of Vancouver.

All in all a formality, as nothing has changed in the intended scope of the development. Hope this helps.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:03 AM
Puyo!

^^^Thanks for the summary

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:16 AM
Puyo!

^^^ Yeah I don't care about the Heritage Place, but it make the Esther Short subarea more denser and part of the redevelopment, so I thought I should post it up, yeah it would be very shame that the building was only sub-standardly.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:05 PM
Puyo!

I went to downtown a few days ago and just noticed that Vancouvercenter's last project area are fenced with construction company sign on. I guess it's ready for construction but not sure when it will start.

Also I finally found what exactly that building will look like, that building look like "Mini Vancouvercenter North Tower".

Look at the that building next to taller one, not that one behind the taller one.

...from this Farmer's Market website: http://www.vancouverfarmersmarket.com/location.htm

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:34 PM

I had heard the fourth building at Vancouvercenter was being put on hold.

Nothing official, just water cooler talk since the apartment to condo conversion is rumored to have been going slowly, and they're still looking for retail tenants in the other towers.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:59 PM
Karma Police

That's true, the fourth building IS on hold indefinitely, till the market picks up again.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:51 PM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rich View Post
I had heard the fourth building at Vancouvercenter was being put on hold.

Nothing official, just water cooler talk since the apartment to condo conversion is rumored to have been going slowly, and they're still looking for retail tenants in the other towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
That's true, the fourth building IS on hold indefinitely, till the market picks up again.
Ahh I see. That is too bad. Curious can you link the information that the last building is on hold so that I can add to the building request?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:56 PM
Puyo!

Riverwalk (Camas-Washougal)

I am not sure if any of you guys heard about this project, the Riverwalk in Camas-Washougal, but actually in Washougal. This is really big project at about 300-400 million dollars, doubling Camas-Washougal population by 2025.

Quote:
RiverWalk, a bright future that respects our past
RiverWalk is an extraordinary opportunity to celebrate our community. Combining an ideal location, economic opportunity, and a sound vision, RiverWalk will be a landmark on the Columbia River.

Uses for all
The development will likely feature a mix of uses: retail, office space, hotel, residential, park, harbor, and boat storage. Special emphasis is being placed on creating an "18-hour neighborhood" accessible by land or water.

Asset for the community
With the ideas and vision of the community, we can transform this area to create one of the West Coast's premier mixed-use waterfront developments that preserves the unique history of our region and improves access for all - whether for work or for play.

The Camas-Washougal area currently offers a limited selection of shopping (particularly apparel, general merchandise, and destination retail). This means money that could be spent in our local community is spent elsewhere.

Funds kept in our community help with local improvements, such as parks, schools, recreation areas and other local needs. The population within a five-mile area of the site is projected to grow to nearly 75,000 residents by 2025 -- double our current population.

RiverWalk could help keep sales dollars in our community and would draw new money that is currently spent elsewhere in Clark County and across the river in Oregon.

Gateway to the Columbia River Gorge
Located between SR 14 and the Columbia River, RiverWalk could welcome local residents and visitors alike as a community gateway to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

RiverWalk would generate revenue from retail sales, sales and property taxes, and wages paid to newly created jobs. Tax revenues could help fund community and infrastructure upgrades.

RiverWalk is a public-private partnership - a collaboration between the community, the Port of Camas-Washougal and RiverWalk LLC. It would be built on Port land with private investment, with no public funding of the final development, thereby fulfilling the needs of our community as well as attracting visitors as a distinctive destination.

http://www.columbiariverwalk.com/project.html
You can find the map projects and exactly where the project will be at this link.

http://www.columbiariverwalk.com/maps.html

And their lastest news. It's kinda of bad news.

Quote:
RiverWalk project at a standstill

Wednesday, November 07, 2007
BY CAMI JONER, Columbian staff writer

The Port of Camas-Washougal is backing away from a proposed $350 million project to develop 65 acres on the Columbia River waterfront.

The project has been on the front burner for two years, but the original agreement expired this month for RiverWalk, a mixed-use project proposed for property owned by the port as well as several private land holders.

Alan Hargrave, president of the port's three-member commission, said talks on a new agreement are at a standstill because the port wants to scale back the size of the project.

A previous agreement called for both parties to study and create a master plan for a 65-acre site that included nearly 50 acres of port-owned property. Now the port is only offering a 14.7-acre parcel on the east side of its holdings to backers of RiverWalk on the Columbia LLC, a husband-and-wife group that includes Rick Bowler and Marilee Thompson, owners of One Pacific Corp.; Mark and Mary Benson of Camas; and John and Nancy McKibbin of Vancouver.

The site's size was scaled down "because property acquisitions didn't happen," Hargrave said. Neither did plans to relocate the boat launch to the eastern end of the site.

RiverWalk backers rejected the idea of the smaller project and want to move forward with the original agreement, said John McKibbin, project spokesman.

"We've exercised our right to enter into the long-term ground lease" for the entire portion of land owned by the port, McKibbin said.

"That doesn't include properties not owned by the port. They're not available," he said.

Envisioned as an upscale mix of shops, restaurants, a hotel, offices, condominiums and public boating and walking facilities, RiverWalk has drawn a wide range of public comment and criticism over the past two years.

"The RiverWalk plan is not bad. We've talked for nine months about making it beautiful," said Roberta Tidland, a local historian and one of 12 citizens on the port-appointed Waterfront Advisory Committee, convened to study the project.

"But it's just talk," Tidland said. "The port commission will have the final say."

If commissioners and the developers do reach an accord, the new agreement would be up for public review, said Shawn MacPherson, an attorney for the port.

"We've indicated this would be available to the public," he said.

Port attorneys from Knapp O'Dell & MacPherson have spent the past month trying to get agreement for the smaller project with William J. Eling, an attorney for RiverWalk on the Columbia LLC.

"We could not reach an agreement on some of the points," said Byron Hanke, the port's interim executive director.

A port-issued press release on Monday said RiverWalk developers did not live up to the terms of the original agreement and failed to:

- Develop a master development agreement between the city of Washougal, the port and developers.

- Negotiate a long-term ground lease for the proposed overall project.

- Establish a Community Renewal Area, in compliance with the city's land ordinances.

MacPherson said he expects RiverWalk will react to those claims this week.

"We're still waiting to hear from RiverWalk," he said.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 11:09 PM
Puyo!

Yesterday morning, I went around downtown to take the pictures, and just found this area right next to The Columbian. They seems are constructing something, I wonder if that one is the The Columbian Apartments?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:25 PM

From the Vancouver building permits listing...

WPH Architecture Inc., 3101 N.E. 66th Ave., $2,281,007, car dealership.

I think this could be the Copps/Carr Dealership relocation that will make way for the Riverwest Project.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 12:09 PM
Puyo!

I just paid another visit to Ankrom Moisan's website and it appeared that they add a new image with detail of map, I believe this one is much better.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
I just paid another visit to Ankrom Moisan's website and it appeared that they add a new image with detail of map, I believe this one is much better.

i like this a lot a lot a lot, wheres light rail!!!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:11 PM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplayer1989 View Post
i like this a lot a lot a lot, wheres light rail!!!!
Yupp it does look good! I think the light rail should be at that bridge at far right on the bottom (see those gray lines).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:11 PM

Vancouver | Arts Center Towers | 2- 11 story buildings | proposed

Downtown site eyed for arts center

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
BY BRETT OPPEGAARD for The Columbian

A nonprofit group's plans to build a performing arts center in Clark County are growing bolder, despite previous setbacks.

The Southwest Washington Center for the Arts recently released the results of a $30,000 feasibility study - conducted by Vancouver's E.D. Hovee Co. - which calls for a $100 million mixed-use arts, retail and housing development on a city-owned vacant block adjacent to downtown Vancouver's Esther Short Park.

The center would have two condominium towers standing 11 stories or so, and ground-floor retail space, plus a 1,500-seat auditorium, a 250-seat black box theater, an art gallery and the potential for an additional 300-seat rehearsal hall.

City officials aware of the proposal remain noncommittal because of the importance of the proposed location.

The block targeted by the Southwest Washington Center for the Arts - which is bounded by Washington and Columbia between Eighth and Ninth streets - is being saved to give downtown development its next big boost, said Eric Holmes, Vancouver's economic development director.

Vancouver is the largest city in the Northwest without a public arts center, and enthusiasts have been lobbying for decades to change that distinction. A partnership with Clark College to create a joint instructional and performance space dissolved in 2006 over a lack of state support.

Under the latest proposal, developers would help pay the tab.

Those involved with the project would donate profits from the commercial property to balance the financial costs of the artistic pursuits, which typically run in the red.

Val Ogden, chairwoman of Southwest Washington Center for the Arts, estimates that $10 million could be made on the condos, which then could be put into an endowment to subsidize annual operating expenses for the theaters and gallery.

A retired state legislator, Ogden said the group's research, indicates the major donors are here and willing to support this project.

"Until I have a site," she said, "I can't raise any money."

Prized city possession

The acre lot targeted, dubbed Block 10, is one of the most highly prized pieces of land owned by the city, Holmes said.

Although the property, which is worth about $1.5 million, is not being actively marketed and there are no serious suitors at this time, Holmes is not receptive to the feasibility study's suggestion to freeze development on the lot for two years while the Southwest Washington Center for the Arts organization raises money.

Holmes, who started his job with Vancouver about a month ago, said he still is learning the local landscape. He wants to refine the recently adopted City Center Vision Plan over the next six months to include more specific suggestions for siting public amenities like this.

"A performing arts center, if it's the right kind of facility that's managed in the right way, could be a real asset to the community," he said. "But that doesn't mean it should go on Block 10. We don't know that yet."

Jan Bader, the city's program and policy development manager, said donation of the land - or even a discount off market rate - is highly unlikely in any case.

She said while the city government is supportive of an arts center in principle, this backing does not come with any significant public money attached.

Ogden said her group has not asked for a land donation or even the development freeze of Block 10. At some point soon, though, a partnership will have to be forged to move forward on the idea.

To help navigate this next phase of negotiation and begin the major capital campaign, the Southwest Washington Center for the Arts has hired consultant Lucy Buchanan.

Buchanan, as development director, and her husband, John, as executive director, helped the Portland Art Museum raise $125 million for expansion. The couple moved to San Francisco last year, where John now serves as director of San Francisco's Fine Arts Museums.

Buchanan already has met with Vancouver Mayor Royce Pollard about the new proposal.

"After we have the site, then we need to look at the five to 10 investors who can really make it happen," Buchanan said. " Performing arts centers and museums have become the community living rooms, where people come together, and Vancouver definitely needs that."

Update

- Previously: The nonprofit Southwest Washington Center for the Arts spent two years developing a partnership with Clark College to build a major public arts center, only to have the project not make the cut in last year's state budget cycle. The group then began exploring other options.

- What's new: A second feasibility study, released this month, shows the best option now is to try to build a $100 million mixed-use development, with condominium towers, on a vacant block adjacent to Vancouver's Esther Short Park.

- What's next: The Southwest Washington Center for the Arts plans to restructure its board of directors to put the focus on raising the millions needed to make such a project happen. In the meantime, it also needs to secure the city's commitment to keep that block available.

Did you know?

- Clark County has more than 60 active arts organizations, and the top third of those groups combined generate more than $3 million per year for their operating budgets, according to E.D. Hovee Co.'s November 2007 feasibility study for the Southwest Washington Center for the Arts.

To learn more about this issue, including a selection of past stories, visit

columbian.com/links/centerforthearts

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:24 PM
Puyo!

Wow so exciting! I do really hope that this project will go successfully and will help the downtown Vancouver very much.

Really hope this project does not take so long like other projects around downtown Vancouver...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 7:55 PM

Good luck with this. It doesn't sound like the city's very supportive though. Damned shame IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:55 PM
Puyo!

From Ankrom Moisan's website, they change the design again.

Notice those buildings behind the waterfronts, some of those buildings haven't built yet.

I think I like this much better.

Also you can look at the colored of the buildings by clicking this link: http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/projec...2975b18b1bb304

I can't copy that image for some reason though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
Puyo!

Public invited to write future of new library

Friday, November 23, 2007
BY HOWARD BUCK, Columbian staff writer
Imagine, a chance to help design Vancouver's new main library from the ground up.

Starting with a "hopes and dreams" public forum at 7 p.m. Tuesday, everyone is invited to do just that.

Following an overview by project architects Miller/Hull Partnership of Seattle, guests will break into groups to raise questions and pitch their best ideas what a 21st century facility should look like.

It's a first step toward construction of the central library, approved by voters in September 2006 as part of a $43 million bond measure.
Four levels. Ninety-thousand square feet. Wi-Fi Internet access, and an underground parking garage: The city's never seen a library like this.

"What we're looking for from the public is their vision of what they'd like to see," said Doreen Turpen, special projects director for the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District. "The kickoff meeting is really about their hopes and dreams."

Turpen is guiding work on two Vancouver libraries, including the new branch library adjoining the Firstenburg Community Center on Northeast 136th Avenue.
The east Vancouver branch, 10 times the size of the existing Cascade Park Library, will cost about $10 million when outfitted. It should open in late 2009.

The $37 million downtown facility, almost double the size of the current Vancouver Community Library, will benefit from an anonymous $5 million donation. It should open by 2011.

The first of three planned forums, Tuesday's session will show future library users what's possible, taking its cue from several features in the east Vancouver branch.

Besides expanded collections of books and other resources, new touches include:

More space so people can work together on computers. That's now the norm for young people, Turpen noted.

Wireless Internet zones, for visitors who bring their own laptop computers, with power plug-ins. Visitors want relaxed areas in which they can linger.
A separate teen area, with its own distinct furniture and "character," Turpen said.

More PlayAway recorded books, which use a portable MP3-type device and ear buds to make audio books more convenient.

A children's area more geared to early learning, with space where parents and children can read together.

Other amenities include computers placed around the building, more handy for library staff and visitors, and new displays to draw attention to exhibits or merchandise, Turpen said.

A common request was a floor plan that allows family members to spread out, yet maintain contact with each other, she said.

The eastside library design meets those needs, Turpen said. "We're getting comments from people that, 'Yes, that's what I wanted it to do,' " she said.

Architects 'tuned in'

Turpen and other library leaders have toured similarly sized facilities in Eugene, Ore., San Mateo, Calif., and in Bellevue to glean ideas. They were impressed by architecture and interior design that adds comfort and uses natural light, she said. They also made note how each building could adapt to future technologies, she said.

Under city planning rules, design of the new downtown Vancouver library must "respect and reflect" the brick-lined Academy building across Evergreen Boulevard, Turpen said.

Officials are confident architect firm Miller/Hull and developer Killian Pacific of Vancouver are up to the task.

"They're very much tuned into the Northwest region, very clean (design) and using local materials," Turpen said of the architects.

Free underground parking

The new main library is a prime element of the planned $165 million Riverwest development on nearly 4 acres on the southeast corner of East Evergreen Boulevard and C Street, where the Carr auto dealership now operates. The proposal includes 195 condominiums, 100,000 square feet of office space, a 65-room hotel and restaurant and retail space.

New underground garages will hold 850 to 900 vehicles. Some 300 to 400 parking spaces will be funded by the city, under a limited tax increment financing plan.
About 200 spaces are reserved for free parking by library users.

By next May, Carr Auto Group plans to move its business to the Vancouver Auto Mall area. By late summer, six older houses along Evergreen Boulevard will be razed or moved.

The entire area will be cleared and excavation for the parking garages will begin by late 2008.

Construction on the library and one office tower should begin in early 2009.

Plans are to remodel the current main library building on East Mill Plain Boulevard into an administration and operations center for the library district.

On Tuesday, Clark County commissioners are expected to approve final design of the new east Vancouver branch library.

Acting as the Vancouver Library Capital Facility Area Board governing body, commissioners will meet at 9:30 a.m. in their sixth-floor hearing room at the Public Service ­Center, 1300 Franklin St.

Design of the $10.2 million branch library, which will adjoin the Firstenburg Community Center off Northeast 136th Avenue, includes a few late changes. That includes a covered walkway between the two buildings, said Doreen Turpen, special projects director for the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District.
Construction should start by next spring, with completion due by late 2009, Turpen said.

More information: Frequently asked questions and more details on the main library may be seen at: www.fvrl.org/aboutus/Main_Library_Project.htm . Besides the forum, the public also may submit ideas by e-mail, newlibraries@fvrl.org ; by mail, Attention: Julie Marr, FVRL, 1007 E. Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver, WA, 98663; by telephone, 360-695-1566; or by filling out comment forms available at the main library.

Battle Ground Community Library: construction starts spring 2008; estimated completion spring 2009.

East Vancouver branch library: construction starts mid-2008; estimated completion late 2009.

Vancouver Community (main) library: construction on parking garage starts mid-2008, library construction starts mid-2009; estimated completion mid-2011.

Howard Buck covers the Fort Vancouver Regional Library District. He can be reached at 360-759-8015 or
howard.buck@columbian.com.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
Puyo!

It will start ground-breaking 2008! Good news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon