HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Beyond the design being finalized, the greatest news from that release is that there is now financing in place to move the tower beyond just the foundation. I think we'll be moving this into construction soon.

Quote:
Aabar Investment, a company controlled by the Abu Dhabi Government, is helping fund the development of a 73-storey luxury apartment building and hotel in New York City.

Mr al Qubaisi said the deal with Extell, the company of the development giant Gary Barnett, could be the start of several property projects in New York.

“We selected Gary Barnett for our first project,” Mr al Qubaisi said, adding that the company was also reviewing other potential property deals in New York. “If things go well, we will start another project.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:50 AM
Ω

Is there a reason SSC says this building is already under construction and 1083 feet?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 6:18 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Is there a reason SSC says this building is already under construction and 1083 feet?

i believe it was stated in an article a while back that this building would be anywhere from 953 to 1083 feet it was also speculated that 953 was the height of the last occupied floor and that 1083 was the roof or crown.

why it says it´s uc i have no idea, maybe they´ve started excavation, but there is no steel yet.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:53 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Only time will tell if the same or other foreign investor will pick up the tabs on other great projects that have stalled around the city.

Their involvement with this tower certainly adds much needed skyscraper excitment here in NY. I'm confident this is only the beginning of what will be another wave of skyscrapers being built.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
They're actually working on the foundation, which could be considered under construction. (Someone posted a pic here also). There are just so many unknowns about this buiding that I didn't think it should be moved to construction just yet. (Even with the Beekman, we had some idea of what the tower was). Someone posted a translation of a French article where it was revealed that the tower would set a "height record" for a residential tower in Manhattan at about 1083 ft. Either height would make it the tallest residential in the city as of today.

The 953 ft height is listed as the wall height according to the application...
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=SC080919002

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:44 PM

The building IS under construction if foundation construction counts.

As to height, it has been reported by the architect more than once as 1083 ft.

I am not sure why SSP has it listed as 953 ft. The NYC DOB height is a totally different calculation, and does not relate to overall building height. It's for occupiable floors, not building height, which, in many buildings, can be a difference of hundreds of feet.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:53 PM

Also, 225 W. 57 could be significantly taller than 157 W. 57. Wouldn't that be fantastic?

1. 225 W. 57 has about 1.5 million square feet of air rights, compared to 1 million at 157 W. 57.

2. Now that the one adjacent building has been landmarked, 225 W. 57 has a smaller footprint, and so the developer has not choice but to build a taller, skinnier building than originally planned.

How tall will 225 W. 57 be? No clue and no inside information. But it should definitely be extremely tall, and I expect it to be taller than 157 W. 57.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:10 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
1. 225 W. 57 has about 1.5 million square feet of air rights, compared to 1 million at 157 W. 57.
According to the DOB application that NyGuy posted, 157 W 57th has up to 1.6 msf. Still, that means that 225 W 57th will at the least be the same size.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
As to height, it has been reported by the architect more than once as 1083 ft.

I am not sure why SSP has it listed as 953 ft. The NYC DOB height is a totally different calculation, and does not relate to overall building height. It's for occupiable floors, not building height, which, in many buildings, can be a difference of hundreds of feet.
Actually, we know that. It's how we list all heights here when the info is gathered from those documents. Until we have a confirmation on the exact height, that's where it stands for now.

Quote:
Also, 225 W. 57 could be significantly taller than 157 W. 57. Wouldn't that be fantastic?

How tall will 225 W. 57 be? No clue and no inside information. But it should definitely be extremely tall, and I expect it to be taller than 157 W. 57.
That's true also. But while demoliton may commence on that one, I don't expect construction to begin too soon for that one, especially since they have yet to select an architect. But I expect two, new landmarks to loom over the central Park South skyline.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:51 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Northern Midtown will have 3 towers of at least 900 feet in height by this time next year.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 5:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, keeping an eye on that other tower (225)
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/ar...?_r=1&ref=arts

By ROBIN POGREBIN
November 18, 2009

Quote:

The B. F. Goodrich building on Broadway, second from left, by Howard Van Doren Shaw, was designated as a landmark last week,
but the smaller of the two tarped buildings around the corner, by the same architect, was not.

The Extell Development Corporation plans to develop the project, which would extend into several buildings, into a 50-story hotel with apartments or offices. Extell had warned that a landmark designation for the smaller building would endanger the project.

Extell’s president, Gary Barnett, said the vote could be seen as “a good compromise” in the context of the city’s economic ill health. Daniel R. Garodnick, one of the council members who questioned the merit of landmarking the second building, said, “No one complains when the City Council speaks in favor of a building.”

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

http://blogs.thenational.ae/crane_co...-new-york.html

Abu Dhabi in New York

Bradley Hope
November 19, 2009

Aabar Investment's latest high profile move is a high-rise building in one of the ritziest areas of Manhattan, a block away from Central Park, the Russian Tea Room and Carnegie Hall.

One interesting detail is its proximity to Jumeirah Essex House, an old high-end hotel that was purchased by Dubai Investment Group in 2005. The new Aabar building, which is being developed by NYC developer Extell, will tower over the all the surrounding buildings in the area and offer views of Central Park. Having these two landmark buildings next to each other will be a testament to the UAE's increasing role in owning and managing luxury properties around the world.

Much of the Gulf investment in property is focused in London right now, but analysts say that more New York City deals could be on the horizon as business picks up there.

The new Aabar-Extell project will rise nearly 80 stories, featuring high-end apartments, offices and a hotel. The design is by French architect Christian de Portzamparc, who was behind such radically new structures as the LVMH Tower in New York and the Lille Tower in France.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 5:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Marked this image to show the two development sites...( photo from proforged )

Another great shot and angle, this one from kw~ny shows the density that will surround these towers...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Another great shot and angle, this one from kw~ny shows the density that will surround these towers...

I think when I see the designs for this pair plus watching the first phases of TV rising (never mind all the West Side happenings); I shall have to undergo removal of my salivary glands...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 8:20 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:

The new Aabar-Extell project will rise nearly 80 stories, featuring high-end apartments, offices and a hotel.
If that's true, this tower will almost surely reach supertall heights

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I think when I see the designs for this pair plus watching the first phases of TV rising (never mind all the West Side happenings); I shall have to undergo removal of my salivary glands

In the meantime, here's a breakdown of the Portzamparc tower:

There are about 4 lower levels (including parking)
Floor 1 .................hotel lobby, residential lobby
Floor 2 .................hotel ballroom, meeting rooms, lounge
Floor 3 .................restaurant, lounge
Floor 4 .................mechanical, (hotel space to floor 20)
Floor 20 ...............hotel spa, health club
Floor 21 ...............residential lounge, dining room, library
Floors 22-30 .......6 apts per floor
Floors 31-45 .......4 apts per floor

Floor 46 ...............mechanical
Floors 47-58 .......2 apts per floor
Floors 59-60 .........duplex
Floors 61-70 .........each floor single unit (apt)
Floors 71-72 .........duplex
Floor 73 ...............mechanical
Roof ....................elevator machine

Judging from that, it appears the tower would have a tapered (at least in effect) design, getting smaller at the top.

Another taste of Christian de Portzamparc's work...

__

__

Some of his New York work...

__

__

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:31 AM
Vamotabbe Pa

(Off Topic)

Is there a Thread on For 225 W. 57? I can't find it anywhere on this Forum.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:50 AM
Show me the blueprints

Crystalline

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 4:16 AM

Come what may, we're most likely gonna have two supertalls that are sure make amends for whatever disappointment might be engendered from TV's altered design.

Those renders make me hopeful. The one that looks to be superimposed on the Paris(?) skyline is stunning and would fit NYC like a glove.

Edit: The smaller one below the larger Paris pano...if the one I refer to is Paris.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
New Yorker for life

^ All of those designs (except the NY towers) are Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Skyline View Post
(Off Topic)

Is there a Thread on For 225 W. 57? I can't find it anywhere on this Forum.
There's no thread because there's no actual proposal for it. I've beek keeping the info here with it's "sister" project until there is one, or until this one moves into construction (which won't be long).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive