HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
No fatalities, thankfully / amazingly. The Burkhardt, Wilfred & Gustav building is completely destroyed. Looks like major damage to the Ann Sacks house.

...continues at the Oregonian.

I'm going to be real interested in seeing what replaces this. Hopefully something sooner than later.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:15 AM

Quote:
No fatalities, thankfully / amazingly. The Burkhardt, Wilfred & Gustav building is completely destroyed. Looks like major damage to the Ann Sacks house...at the Oregonian.
I live three blocks directly north on Johnson. I had just stepped outside on my way to work when it happened. I'd never heard an explosion like that. My wife and I felt shockwaves from it. (A few windows were shattered in neighborhood from it.) I was able to get very close just mins after it happened. It was surreal. The building was scattered all over Glisan and 23rd like a pile of matchsticks. The roof was on the ground. It was unsettling. A towering, raging inferno the size of the building was shooting straight up into the sky. (Presumably pure burning gas.) Then the building itself became ingulfed and turned into a smoke stack. Smoke spread through the neighborhood. So thankful for the wise fire and rescue teams. They saved many lives.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:38 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 2:16 AM

Drawings [PDF 4 MB] for 404 NW 23rd Ave.

Drawings [PDF - 12MB] for 905 NW 17th Ave.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:45 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Drawings [PDF 4 MB] for 404 NW 23rd Ave.
Why do they list this as 404 NW 23rd, when it's not on 23rd? It's half a block down, on Flanders (the address will probably end up being something like 2260 NW Flanders). The 400 corner of NW 23rd is Kitchen Kaboodle.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:51 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Drawings [PDF - 12MB] for 905 NW 17th Ave.
This one cracks me up. It's boring, but, whatever. I laugh because of page C9, where they show inspiration for this project. "Here's what we were inspired by, but we decided to build something generic instead." Sigh.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Why do they list this as 404 NW 23rd, when it's not on 23rd? It's half a block down, on Flanders (the address will probably end up being something like 2260 NW Flanders). The 400 corner of NW 23rd is Kitchen Kaboodle.
Because that's the address of the site today. Once it gets to the stage of building permit review someone at the Bureau of Development Services will assign the site a new address.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:52 AM

Goddammit. One of Portland's finest pieces of contemporary architecture is going to be demolished. It was built just before the Landmarks Commission became the review body for all new development in the Alphabet District. Whatever replaces it will be some ridiculous piece of pseudo-historical kitsch.

Quote:
Building damaged in gas leak explosion to be demolished

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The building housing Dosha Salon on Northwest 23rd Avenue and Glisan Street that was damaged badly in the gas leak explosion last week will be demolished.

The City of Portland confirmed that the owners have applied for a permit to demolish, and the permit has been approved.

Investigators from OSHA and NW Natural were at the blast site Wednesday.
A Department of Environmental Quality spokesman said asbestos levels were not a cause for alarm, according to the air monitoring equipment in place.
...continues at KGW.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Goddammit. One of Portland's finest pieces of contemporary architecture is going to be demolished. It was built just before the Landmarks Commission became the review body for all new development in the Alphabet District. Whatever replaces it will be some ridiculous piece of pseudo-historical kitsch.

...continues at KGW.
KATU is reporting that there is no demolition permit:
http://katu.com/news/local/one-week-...tart-to-reopen

Who's right?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:05 PM

According to a friend who works at KPTV the building won't be demolished. Which makes me very happy. And according to another friend who works at the city, if the scope of work is limited to repair it's exempt from Historic Resource Review. Which makes me even happier.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 6:03 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 6:30 PM

The KPTV story is now up.

Quote:
Building damaged in NW Portland gas explosion to be repaired

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -
The owner of a building damaged in a natural gas explosion last week says she plans to repair the building as quickly as possible.

Ann Sacks owns the four-story building that houses Dosha Salon Spa at 2281 NW Glisan St., just east of where Portland Bagelworks used to stand.

Sacks said she applied for a demolition permit in order to remove damage to the building's exterior and interior but planned to retain as much of the structure as possible.
...continues at KPTV.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:13 PM

Thank goodness...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:33 PM
A before E

Well that is a bit of good news with all of this. I thought for sure we would see this building come down too.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:56 PM

Would it be realistic to expand the Dosha building around the corner, taking over the now demolished Bagelworks building? They own both sets of property.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:01 PM

Landmarks Commission would never approve it, if it continued the language of the existing building.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 9:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
Landmarks Commission would never approve it, if it continued the language of the existing building.
Which is kind of a shame because there is nothing historical about a pile of rubble. At this point, it shouldn't matter too much about what gets built there....obviously the Landmark Commission would probably disagree with that for no real valid reason.

I personally think fixing the Allied Works building, and even letting them design an expansion of that building to take over the corner would be a great move for architecture in that area.....but I am sure we will end up with some weird faux historic looking building instead.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 6:17 AM

It always confounds me how absolute people's views of historic and landmark are when anything new is just fake crap....

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 11:39 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Would it be realistic to expand the Dosha building around the corner, taking over the now demolished Bagelworks building? They own both sets of property.
I hope that Ann Sacks does not add to the Dosha building because it is a handsome, nicely-scaled work already. I hope that Ms Sacks chooses to build an entirely different building on the corner.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 12:01 AM

What a relief. That is one of my favorite buildings in the city.

We really need to build the political will for shifting the HLC charter away from evaluating the aesthetics of new construction. They should be focused on researching, fine tuning policy (including things like seismic upgrade and historic preservation policies), and generally advocating for our existing/remaining historic fabric. And they should likewise only serve in an advisory role when new building projects, including historic renovations, are going through the regulatory pipeline.

Last edited by tworivers; Oct 29, 2016 at 8:08 AM. Reason: clarity

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland