HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:28 PM
Burming Hammer

philopdx... your experience here sounds pretty unique. it seems that we're about the same age, and i've never encountered anything like what you describe on a widespread basis. sure, there are always a few people (in every state) that are ignorant, but you seem to suggest that such ignorance is epidemic here. i just don't see it. if that truly was your childhood experience, then i'm glad for you that you were able to escape.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I agree with TimCity. Everyone is going to have different experiences and different reasons to leave where they've grown up. It's just that honestly, I have never had the experience that Philopdx had. I'm quite sure I'm the youngest person in the Alabama genre of this forum, and I can tell you that my experience in public school was nothing like what you experienced, Philopdx. I grew up in Decatur, so obviously there are some cultural differences, so for all I know, what you're describing could be completely accurate.

I would tend to shy away from making a broad generalization about this supposed blissful ignorance and applying it to the entire state. Philopdx, you said yourself that you lived in Montgomery for 24 years, I think it's possible that the lack of a large change in venue could have had an effect on what you see in the people of this state.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 9:08 PM
Midtown Montgomery

There isn't a need to change the topic of this thread for our Portland friend.

He's just here every now and then to belittle our great state.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
There isn't a need to change the topic of this thread for our Portland friend.

He's just here every now and then to belittle our great state.
LOL... I agree, BUT several things he posted were pretty true. I prefer not to leave, but to hang out here and attempt to make things better!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 9:48 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCA REP View Post
LOL... I agree, BUT several things he posted were pretty true. I prefer not to leave, but to hang out here and attempt to make things better!
Some of the opinions were not completely off base, but the generally negative depiction of the state as a whole is simply assanine--as they always are from this particular poster.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 10:01 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
amateur urbanite

Right, somebody has to stand up for our great state and give our experiences so as not to potetially give someone a false negative view of the entire Alabama.

FYI, I'm stickin' around, too.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 3:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

As am I. I don't plan on EVER living outside of the state. I at one time considered leaving the state for my masters in Urban and Regional Planning, but I've decided that after I get my bachelors, I'm staying in Tuscaloosa

This is gonna sound silly, but I've always dreamed of becoming a billionaire, then contributing a lot of the money towards some enormous (probably mass transit) projects around the state that the cities wouldn't be able to handle by themselves.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
As am I. I don't plan on EVER living outside of the state. I at one time considered leaving the state for my masters in Urban and Regional Planning, but I've decided that after I get my bachelors, I'm staying in Tuscaloosa

This is gonna sound silly, but I've always dreamed of becoming a billionaire, then contributing a lot of the money towards some enormous (probably mass transit) projects around the state that the cities wouldn't be able to handle by themselves.
lol. Whether it sounds silly or not, I think a lot of us around here have had that same dream.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 6:35 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
lol. Whether it sounds silly or not, I think a lot of us around here have had that same dream.
I think it's time to tell all of you that I am David Bronner.

You're welcome.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 11:08 PM

. i'm moving to Orlando, FL in the next 2 months.....I'm not trying to get away from AL but I am participating in the brain drain. Better job opportunity that isn't present in Mobile and a masters at FSU (its online degree). I'm hoping to contribute to my hometown and return in a few years.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 3:26 AM
amateur urbanite

Good luck. I assume that you're going to come back with millions and pump it back into downtown (apparently much like our friend SouthSky), right?

By the way, speaking of that dream, does anyone else's involve winning the lottery? Just me?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 3:45 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
. i'm moving to Orlando, FL in the next 2 months.....I'm not trying to get away from AL but I am participating in the brain drain. Better job opportunity that isn't present in Mobile and a masters at FSU (its online degree). I'm hoping to contribute to my hometown and return in a few years.
You'll love Orlando. It's an amazing place outside of the tourist areas... and quite a bit more sane than Alabama

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 3:45 AM

ha I wish I could make that much money to pump into downtown. but I wont be giving back in that way. would be neat to see someone do that! yeah I'm excited about orlando. can't wait!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

My Recomendations for the Cities

Birmingham

I like a lot of Larry Langford's ideas. There's just one problem. There are too many of them. The city needs to look at one BIG project that will unite city and county leaders so that they can work together. That type of unity can only help the city in the future. And when you have a county where the majority of the county's 600,000 residents aren't in the main city, you've got to have the unity or else that main city is going to wither and die.

I don't have any idea what a good regional project would be, maybe I'll come up with one later.

Montgomery

Keep the momentum up. There are great things going on in downtown, and these types of things don't respond well to a "wait and see" approach. I like how the city has kept things going. One after another, and it's working. People see constant activity and improvements going on in the city center and then they instantly want to visit it more and more to see what has changed. Eventually, you restore pride in the city and people are more inclined to spend their tax dollars in town.

Mobile

Mobile has made some great strides. Though, I think it could be doing much better. The Bay Area is made of two highly populated counties that are linked by very few roadways. The lack of linkages between the two shores is a major detriment to the city. You have a cultural hub in Mobile on one shore, and a high percentage of affluent citizens on the other. These two shores aren't linked well enough. That needs to change.

I would recommend putting major effort into getting ferry service going. You need to link cities that run the length of the Eastern Shore. We all know how long it takes to get from somewhere like Fairhope to downtown Mobile.

Huntsville

Focus on downtown. Too often, the city focuses on bringing business to the fringe of the city. This isn't necessarily bad, but it would help the city enormously to bring more business downtown. I realize, the city is doing a lot to bring more people downtown, but more needs to be done.

I've lived most of my life in Decatur, so you'd think that I'd be more familiar with things in downtown Huntsville. But, honestly, I can name more numerous interesting things in downtown Mobile, Birmingham, and Montgomery. I have a feeling that a lot of people also have this problem. No one knows what is in downtown, that has to change in order for anything to be successful.

That's the big four, I'll probably post some stuff for the other cities later.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:35 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

^^^ What a great rundown Alabadrock !

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:38 AM

Hmm, interesting points Alabadrock. I think you're right on target about unity in Birmingham. Animosity among cities is a killer...of projects especially. Some promising projects for Birmingham were killed in the legislature by representatives of its sister cities.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 5:49 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Mobile

Mobile has made some great strides. Though, I think it could be doing much better. The Bay Area is made of two highly populated counties that are linked by very few roadways. The lack of linkages between the two shores is a major detriment to the city. You have a cultural hub in Mobile on one shore, and a high percentage of affluent citizens on the other. These two shores aren't linked well enough. That needs to change.

I would recommend putting major effort into getting ferry service going. You need to link cities that run the length of the Eastern Shore. We all know how long it takes to get from somewhere like Fairhope to downtown Mobile.
I agree.

The funding the city received for the GulfQuest museum included money for a ferry terminal. It is bound to it, and if the city doesn't build a ferry service, the money will be returned. I don't see the city giving up that money. However, they will still have to build terminals in their Phase I destinations (Fairhope, Daphne, Gulf Shores I believe). The study plans for more terminals in Point Clear and Fowl River.

Here's some comprehensive studies/reports on the subject:

http://www.mobilempo.org/Mobile%20Ba...er%20Ferry.htm

Last edited by SouthSky; Jul 15, 2009 at 6:17 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:20 AM
---

Quote:
Mobile

Sounds great, but you can't do much.

A ferry is "cool" I guess, but doesnt bring much change - as far as numbers go. People complain about the Bayway and the traffic, but the truth is you can get from Baldwin to Mobile (stress free) almost all of the time.

Also, I wonder if the people that made that map in Southsky's post have ever been in the bay. The water south of the Fish River Reef is extremely shallow, around 4-6 feet.

Last edited by Electrical Porpoise; Jul 15, 2009 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:51 AM
amateur urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
Sounds great, but you can't do much.

A ferry is "cool" I guess, but doesnt bring much change - as far as numbers go. People complain about the Bayway and the traffic, but the truth is you can get from Baldwin to Mobile (stress free) almost all of the time.

Also, I wonder if the people that made that map in Southsky's post have ever been in the bay. The water south of the Fish River Reef is extremely shallow, around 4-6 feet.
A see a ferry as another opportunity for public transportation, another step to help us become less car-dependent down here. But yes, I've never had any big problems going over the bayway, and especially the causeway, unless there is a wreck or something.

At this point the plans are probably subject to change, but yes some areas it can get pretty shallow. Trenches? Flat bottom ferries?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast