HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 12:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I hope Metro's studies and final recommendation will be in accordance with LAWA's long-term plans for LAX. A conventional circulator wouldn't work if LAWA were to implement a system similar to the old Master Plan.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:38 AM
Paramoderator

Changing the conversation here a bit: I was thinking about the 405 Line today. Does anybody know what they think the ridership on this line is supposed to be? I mean, it seems like quite the important corridor, I would think that a lot of people would use it. Moreover, why are they going to use six-train light rail instead of heavy rail? And, at the point where they use six-car light rail, doesn't it end up being heavy rail anyways?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 7:46 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ A 5-car LRT is equivalent to a 6-car HRT length-wise (both 450 feet), although the former has slightly greater capacity. Keeping the train at-grade preserves its cost-effectiveness and makes it eligible for New Starts funding.

Personally, I don't see how it can be built as LRT. Van Nuys is the second busiest corridor in the SFV after Ventura. And it's a political death sentence to even suggest removing car lanes.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 5:30 AM

My personal feeling is that Van Nuys boulevard will be getting an Orange Line extension....no LRT and definitely not worthly of HRT. Read the funding guidelines for the SFV with Measure R (http://www.metro.net/projects/progre...r/byregion/11/)

"San Fernando Valley East North-South Rapidways (project acceleration)

Accelerates bus service improvements, including possible dedicated bus lanes, on four potential East San Fernando Valley corridors, including Van Nuys, Sepulveda, Reseda and Lankershim"

In my interpretation, the best Van Nuys, Sepulveda, Reseda and Lankershim will get be an Orange Line somewhat type of network (i.e. similar to the new Chatsworth-NoHo station operation). Or...with only $68M, it may be just bus stop improvements....like bus shelters, cut-outs, synchronization, etc...

$1 billion is for the SFV pass, which most likely seems to be either light rail or bus only between the Orange Line to Wilshire is my guess. Right now, those are two separate projects. But the Transit Coalition is trying to get the politicians to see the "bigger picture" and make a huge north-south transit line from Sylmar Metrolink via Van Nuys/Sepulveda into the Westside.

Make those comments to those politicians and let's see if we can get something better than bus service only improvements ($68M is not much...).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 7:30 PM

School officials oppose subway extension under Beverly Hills High (LA Times)

School officials oppose subway extension under Beverly Hills High

School district officials say one of the routes being considered would quash their plans to renovate the aging campus. Prominent developers prefer that route because it goes through the heart of Century City.

Beverly Hills Unified Supt. Richard Douglas and school board President Lisa Korbatov are urging county transit officials not to choose the Avenue of the Stars route for a subway extension, because it would tunnel under Beverly High. (Stefano Paltera, For The Times)

By Martha Groves
Los Angeles Times
June 6, 2011

"The long-awaited Westside subway extension appears to be getting closer to reality, but the Beverly Hills Unified School District contends that tunneling for the project could squelch its plans to expand and update the city's aging 22-acre high school campus.

One of two routes that the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority is considering would burrow directly beneath the school, on the way from Koreatown to Century City and on to the Veterans Affairs campus between Westwood and Brentwood.

The other alignment — which Beverly Hills officials contend is cheaper and less disruptive — would be a straighter shot along Santa Monica Boulevard at the northern outskirts of Century City, the high-rise-studded commercial hub that has served since the 1960s as L.A.'s "second downtown..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6726123.story

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:34 PM

Los Angeles Leads Full-Throttle Dash for U.S. Transit Cash (NY Times)

Los Angeles Leads Full-Throttle Dash for U.S. Transit Cash

By ANNE C. MULKERN
June 6, 2011
NY Times

"LOS ANGELES -- Tony Lepre looms 6 feet 2 inches and wears a thick goatee and dark clothing. He's hard to miss amid a crowd waiting for the train at a downtown subway station.

But what really makes Lepre stand out among most Los Angeles County residents is that he doesn't own a car.

Lepre, 48, takes trains several days a week while many here spend hours daily driving congested roads. The Los Angeles native, who cannot afford a vehicle right now, joins those who are watching with anticipation as the region's rail network attempts a high-speed upgrade..."

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/06...pagewanted=all

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:00 AM
Long-Time Californian

Someone please explain how a subway, deep underground, will prevent a high school building expansion. The high school will not build more than 10 feet below ground, and the subway will be 3 to 10 times that depth.

And, there are hundreds of subways underneath schools, hospitals, museums, or government buildings elsewhere in this country, including many in Washington DC, so is this aging high school soooooo different? something tells me that the high school district is looking for a handout.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
Someone please explain how a subway, deep underground, will prevent a high school building expansion. The high school will not build more than 10 feet below ground, and the subway will be 3 to 10 times that depth.

And, there are hundreds of subways underneath schools, hospitals, museums, or government buildings elsewhere in this country, including many in Washington DC, so is this aging high school soooooo different? something tells me that the high school district is looking for a handout.
You're speaking to the masses here who agree with you. Try explaining this at a Roxbury Park Metro meeting to those BH's nuts......it's scary and intimidating.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
You're speaking to the masses here who agree with you. Try explaining this at a Roxbury Park Metro meeting to those BH's nuts......it's scary and intimidating.
What's worse is that these NIMBYs actually have money, and therefore, influence.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
What's worse is that these NIMBYs actually have money, and therefore, influence.
Well...NSFR has money, but not influence. Unlike BHUSD which has both (they're going to use that bond money somehow) and they already have city council fighting by lobbying people in Washington (this is how the Red Line western extension subway drilling was banned by the federal government). That's the scary part.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 10:56 AM

bmfarley:
Quote:
It won't prevent a high school from expanding. They're looking for whatever fabricated reason they can find to prevent this. Here in DC, metro goes under hundreds of thousands or workers, residents, and all sorts of buildings and life goes on fine.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:21 PM
BANNED

I really don't care either way on the station location. But no one is saying not to build the subway, just to take the route that leads to Santa Monica Blvd. MTA can end this whole issue at any time by just agreeing to do so.

The WORST that would happen is that you get a station in a proposed high-rise at the shopping center, with commuters walking a block in the open air. This would have the potential to create more street-life in CC, even if it is only street vendors and kiosks. It also makes the stop closer to the hotels, condos and shopping on Little Santa Monica, which would create street-life there as well.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I really don't care either way on the station location. But no one is saying not to build the subway, just to take the route that leads to Santa Monica Blvd. MTA can end this whole issue at any time by just agreeing to do so.

The WORST that would happen is that you get a station in a proposed high-rise at the shopping center, with commuters walking a block in the open air. This would have the potential to create more street-life in CC, even if it is only street vendors and kiosks. It also makes the stop closer to the hotels, condos and shopping on Little Santa Monica, which would create street-life there as well.
If we miss Constellation, the station has to be in the next best spot. Unfortunately, it looks to be Santa Monica/Century Park East, which is the northeast corner of Century City (http://thesource.metro.net/2011/02/16/19223/)

From the Source: "The problem is that the Santa Monica/Avenue of the Stars station, according to Metro staff, may be directly above the Santa Monica Fault. If that is determined to be the case, it would create special significant seismic risks and challenges for subway engineers and builders.

The Santa Monica Fault is believed to travel under the Los Angeles Country Club golf course, reaching Santa Monica Boulevard somewhere between Avenue of the Stars and Century Park East. It then continues traveling west under Santa Monica Boulevard for a distance. According to Westside Subway Extension Project Director David Mieger, this new third option may allow for a Santa Monica Boulevard station location that is outside of the fault zone. “We want to ensure that we have fully evaluated all viable options,” he said."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:45 PM

A word of warning:

If you were planning on visiting L.A. the weekend of July 15, change your plans. They're closing the 405 between the 10 and the 101 and the result is supposed to be total chaos.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post

why should the MTA give in and build in a less desirable location? fuck those BH nimbys. why dont they just give in? im sick and tired of those lying bastards.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
why should the MTA give in and build in a less desirable location? fuck those BH nimbys. why dont they just give in? im sick and tired of those lying bastards.
I concur. Why should the rest of the county not be able to get the best bang for their buck when it comes to building at the best location?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
A word of warning:

If you were planning on visiting L.A. the weekend of July 15, change your plans. They're closing the 405 between the 10 and the 101 and the result is supposed to be total chaos.
So looking forward to riding my bike and going Metro! Love to see thousands more take the Red Line and other Metro lines during this weekend. This will be awesome!

Don't leave LA...enjoy it to see how much fun it is to use alternative transportation!!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:00 AM

Quote:
So looking forward to riding my bike and going Metro! Love to see thousands more take the Red Line and other Metro lines during this weekend. This will be awesome!

Don't leave LA...enjoy it to see how much fun it is to use alternative transportation!!!
Sure it's gonna be awesome for us transit enthusiasts.

Let's be honest, though. That day is gonna be ugly on the Westside. At least for people that don't wanna get out of their cars.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Sure it's gonna be awesome for us transit enthusiasts.

Let's be honest, though. That day is gonna be ugly on the Westside. At least for people that don't wanna get out of their cars.
There's already many conveniences towards cars these days, like huge parking lots, free parking, widened freeways (14 lanes on the I-10 in downtown LA..yikes!), etc... What about transit riders? We have minimal bike lanes, trains, bus only lanes, etc... What's wrong with turning the tables one time? Let them know what inconvenience is that transit riders have to endure.

What's going to happen when gas exceeds $5/gallon and they've realized that building roads was actually for the rich and not for the middle class?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 4:24 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
There's already many conveniences towards cars these days, like huge parking lots, free parking, widened freeways (14 lanes on the I-10 in downtown LA..yikes!), etc... What about transit riders? We have minimal bike lanes, trains, bus only lanes, etc... What's wrong with turning the tables one time? Let them know what inconvenience is that transit riders have to endure.

What's going to happen when gas exceeds $5/gallon and they've realized that building roads was actually for the rich and not for the middle class?
i agree. but jdr is right when he says it will be ugly. you're talking one of the busiest freeways in the nation being shut down for multiple days in a row.
reminds me of how they have been periodically shutting down the san-francisco bay bridge for construction of the new segment. basically transit use goes up and all alternate vehicular routes come to a standstill.

i don't think driving should be a thing 'for the rich'. driving shouldn't have anything to do with 'class'. you should drive only when you need it (like transporting anything big/heavy or going someplace remote), and take public transit or walk/bike for the majority of your trips rather than drive for every trip you take. that should be the goal. even the rich like walkable environments.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation