HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 3:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
I dont think it's completely a non-issue. There are plenty of people who would condition the purchase of a condo on ceiling height. Particularly, this is a big issue for European buyers who consider almost all American ceiling heights as too low.
if that scenario was actualy an issue for Aqua, then they would have had trouble selling the units. i'll let you connect the dots.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 11, 2007 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 5:22 PM
c h i c a g o

8'8" is an average ceiling but once you step into a condo that has a 10' ceiling it does make a world of a difference. The luxury market here is calling for 9'6" - 10' (Trump, Mandarin, Waterview, etc) but they are also selling at higher price points. There will be soffits and probably the kitchens and bath rooms may be lower. Then should the owner want to add recessed lighting they will have to drop it some.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 6:15 PM

I don't doubt that the units will sell, but I can say from personal experience that I checked the Columbian off my list when looking at condos specifically because of the 8'8" heights on the regular floors and 9'6" height on the upper floors. As Mojava says, once you've been/lived in a space with higher celings, it's hard to go back. And there are plenty of buildings under construction with ceilings in the 9'6" - 11" range.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:00 PM

Unless you're Yao Ming, I don't see how this matters.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascacielos View Post
I don't doubt that the units will sell, but I can say from personal experience that I checked the Columbian off my list when looking at condos specifically because of the 8'8" heights on the regular floors and 9'6" height on the upper floors. As Mojava says, once you've been/lived in a space with higher celings, it's hard to go back. And there are plenty of buildings under construction with ceilings in the 9'6" - 11" range.

While I'm sure some people like taller ceilings, there are going to be some people who like smaller ceilings as well. I used to live in an apartment where my bedroom was somewhat of a loft-style....where the ceilings were almost 15 feet - and I hated it. It didn't seem homey/comfortable at all. The ceiling height at my current place is probably around 8'8....and if it's more than that, it's probably only by a few inches....and I really like the fact that the ceilings are fairly short. And I've also noticed a big difference in my utilities bills.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the floor slabs are not going to be a foot thick. they'll probably be in the 6 - 8" range, i'm guessing, which means that it will be possible for all units on all levels to have 8'-8" ceilings. sure, they might have to soffit down in certain areas for ducts and plumbing, but the vast majority of the unit ceilings will be able to stand the full 8'-8", which is more than adequate. as far as i'm concerned, this whole made up issue of the ceiling heights in aqua being too low isn't an issue at all.

ok, mr. smarty pants, what about the 7 1/2 floor?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 12:03 AM

WHO CARES! Yes, Aqua has lower ceilings than most luxury devolopments, but the demographic they went after obviously didn't mind since they have had excellent sales success. Bickering about something that is already finalized is pointless. Move on!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 12:18 AM

I have received word on the status of construction. They are ready to roll in the equipment, BUT the city is still processing the permit. Of course, how long it will take the city to complete the processing and provide approval is an unknown. So, there ya go.

On a second note for all ye building height discussionaires; I'm having a horrible time designing my new purchase because these ceilings are just too low. Have you seen chandelers hanging from 8'8" ceilings. Try a few raised floors or recessed lighting. Yes, it's a condo, but there is a difference between a "home" and a concrete box. To make a home, interior design requires a lot more space and I'd pay a lot more for just one more foot.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 2:24 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
I have received word on the status of construction. They are ready to roll in the equipment, BUT the city is still processing the permit. Of course, how long it will take the city to complete the processing and provide approval is an unknown. So, there ya go.

On a second note for all ye building height discussionaires; I'm having a horrible time designing my new purchase because these ceilings are just too low. Have you seen chandelers hanging from 8'8" ceilings. Try a few raised floors or recessed lighting. Yes, it's a condo, but there is a difference between a "home" and a concrete box. To make a home, interior design requires a lot more space and I'd pay a lot more for just one more foot.
Uh, you can still be creative, even with 8'-8" (a four inch difference to 9'-0" isn't that critical). I think this has become a strange point of contention in the thread; do we even have verification that: A.) that is the typical ceiling height and B.) that 815'-0" is the full height and not the height above street level.
Another thing to consider is, what is on the roof? Can anyone confirm how many levels or feet rather below the rooftop are mechanical (which could also be included in the floor count)? Look at the photos:

Not sure if this has been brought up before but assuming that the upper floor or two are mechanical so let's say for the sake of argument 81 leasable/salable floors that at 815'-0" so that each floor is then
10'-0" floor to floor, with say 1'-0" of structural which then leave a good 9'-0" of floor to ceiling height.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 3:05 AM

Bluestar, do I understand you to mean that you actually did purchase a unit here, or is it that you are having a hard time deciding whether to do so because of the ceiling heights? On that issue I agree with you. 9' ceilings would be the absolute minimum acceptable at this price point, particularly with other practical issues with this building - eg, the twin tower they are going to build immediately south of it. The design is incredible, no doubt. But let's not confuse architecural significance with the practical, everyday issues a purchaser would have to confront here. There are obviously some positives from a practical standpoint, but just as obviously, there are some negatives - if the ceilings are indeed 8' 8" high, that is ubdoubtedly a negative, especially given that the competition at this price point all have 9' ceilings, minimum. For me it would be a deal breaker on that issue alone (I have purchased a unit at another building discussed on SSP, so I probably am subconsciously biased).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 3:20 AM

Yes. I did buy a unit. As for the height, yes, it is exactly 8'8". The sales agent did mention this figure, but more importantly, it is on the Aqua website. Start here:

http://www.lakeshoreeast.com/aqua/interiors.html#

then click on "Designer Finishes" or "Choice Finishes". The ceiling height is listed as 8'8" under both pop-ups, under the Interior Features section which I'll copy and paste here:

Interior Features:

8’8” room ceilings
Floor to ceiling windows with spectacular views (where shown)
4 1/4” painted wood base trim throughout residence
Hardwood floors in dining room, living room, kitchen, foyer & halls
Plush wall to wall carpeting in bedrooms
Walk in closets in most residences (where shown)
Stacked washer & dryer
Tempered sliding glass balcony doors
7’ solid core interior doors finished with brushed chrome
lever handle hardware
Year round individually controlled heating and air-conditioning
(4 pipe system)
Pre-wired for high speed Internet & cable television

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 5:03 AM

All I can say say is don't get a ceiling fan with the pole attachment...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:20 PM
Chicago 2016

Either this building will be a great accomplishment in architecture or it will look like a piece of junk. I have hope it will be well perceived and look great.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 6:28 PM

So that giant drill on the site is fishing for underground tunnels and is not a caisson crane?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
So that giant drill on the site is fishing for underground tunnels and is not a caisson crane?

Um, yeah, that's what's been posted.

Believe me, when a caisson crane arrives and drilling begins, you'll be the first too know... Umm K?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:21 AM
low-riding

So the facade design is actually balconies of different sizes that can be accessed by the homeowner? Sucks for the people who live in the blank spots and are balconyless.

It took a while for this tower to grow on me but it did. But something this unique looking I dont think can be fairly represented in a rendering. So we kinda have to wait till the structure is up before we see for real if its genius or a complete bomb. it can go either way, no middle ground. As of right now, im leaning towards genius

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
You know, from these models, it appears that the ceiling heights of the higher units (above the break especially) are greater than those below it. If this is the case and the top units have 9' or 9'3" or 9'6" ceilings, it would suggest that the theory of low ceiling heights also being aesthetic, not purely economic, may be correct. If the lower floors have balconies that are closer together, then the wave effect would be much more present, this closeness of floors would not be as needed higher up, at a greater distance from the viewer, where it is more difficult to discern one line from another, allowing the same effect to be perceived from lines spaced further apart.

I dunno if this has anything to do with it or not, but it just may, it would be a good thing to ask Gang if anyone ever gets a chance.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
You know, from these models, it appears that the ceiling heights of the higher units (above the break especially) are greater than those below it. If this is the case and the top units have 9' or 9'3" or 9'6" ceilings, it would suggest that the theory of low ceiling heights also being aesthetic, not purely economic, may be correct. If the lower floors have balconies that are closer together, then the wave effect would be much more present, this closeness of floors would not be as needed higher up, at a greater distance from the viewer, where it is more difficult to discern one line from another, allowing the same effect to be perceived from lines spaced further apart.

I dunno if this has anything to do with it or not, but it just may, it would be a good thing to ask Gang if anyone ever gets a chance.
Actually I think typically the "penthouse" levels all have higher ceilings. It's an extra luxury. You'll find in a lot of the new towers being built that the top few levels have an extra foot to 18 inches.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 1:08 AM

I've learned several things about the project.

It might a bit longer before we actually see a caisson rig on the site, several months in fact. I was told that they are waiting until they reach 90% before they break ground. The reason that they are doing this is because they will get a much better interest rate on their construction loan once they make that mark. They are currently at the 80% - 85% mark.

I was also tole that the next building will more than likely be marketed after they break ground on Aqua sometime this spring. The tower that will be marketed will straddle Field Boulevard where it meets Wacker Drive. I believe that the rumor was stated sometime earlier in this thread. The rumor is that the tower will be in the 90-story range. This is still unconfirmed. We'll just have to wait and see what is released unless there is a member or lurker on this forum that can provide more solid information.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:23 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The tower that will be marketed will straddle Field Boulevard where it meets Wacker Drive. I believe that the rumor was stated sometime earlier in this thread. The rumor is that the tower will be in the 90-story range.
might this be the rumored 90 story arquitectonica tower that a mysterious stranger who dropped by here several months ago was whispering about?

let's hope.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive