HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 11:21 AM

Oh yeah, that's the going rate for premier CFers. But will they continue to pay that salary if they're a last place team? We shall see...

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 9:03 PM

Well we're nearly two months in and the Jays blow. They've also been taking blows (lol)

As for my angels, with all the injuries they're actually staying afloat at 18-22. Oh and Mike fucking Trout! After slow start he's batting .360 over his last 30 and just being awesome.

Edit: He's hitting .364 in his last 30. And the Angels are 19-22.

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; May 21, 2016 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 7:16 PM

Lol. Canadian anthem singer goes rogue at MLB All Star game.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 10:22 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Idiot. He should be ashamed for what he did, that is a huge disrespect to the anthem and by extension our country. And to do it in the U.S. made it that much worse. If an American came up here and made a political statement about our internal affairs we'd be all over them for it.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 11:14 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I heard the Tenor that did it is American.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:29 AM
Urban Fanactic

That is very disrespectful to our anthem and that shouldn't be the place for it.

I was ready some comments to this story and something people said that
#all lives matter is racist.

How is all live matter racist?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:07 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
That is very disrespectful to our anthem and that shouldn't be the place for it.

I was ready some comments to this story and something people said that
#all lives matter is racist.

How is all live matter racist?
In of itself the phrase "all lives matter" isn't racist. However, in the context that it's used by certain groups / individuals as a rebuke of "black lives matter" there are most definitely racist undertones. At it's simplest the phrase "black lives matter doesn't refer blacks as being more important than other groups, but can be better understood as "black lives matter too". By saying "all lives matter" people are very intentionally dismissing the movement and downplaying any injustices that have been occurring.

There are certainly instances where saying "all lives matter" is completely acceptable, but a quick peruse of twitter and other large websites shows that the VAST majority of people using it non-ironically have a rather large axe to grind.

With regards to this incident it's pretty clear that the one tenor who held up the sign has some serious issues. He has many Facebook posts ranting about mental issues, conspiracy theories, religion and appears to be a flat-earth adherent (yes, this is very much a thing right now).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:53 AM
Urban Fanactic

Thanks for the response, cleared up a few things.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:15 PM
DRINK

It's not racist....in fact, given all the stuff that has since come out regarding the guy I don't even think he was aware that there are a bunch of loser SJW's who are attempting to make it a racist issue. As always, if you don't agree with the lunatic fringe SJW movement your racist, or some sort of phobic.

It was however extremely inappropriate for numerous reasons.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
It's not racist....in fact, given all the stuff that has since come out regarding the guy I don't even think he was aware that there are a bunch of loser SJW's who are attempting to make it a racist issue. As always, if you don't agree with the lunatic fringe SJW movement your racist, or some sort of phobic.
Anyone who uses the term SJW un-ironically is generally an idiot. But not surprising given your post history here.

Just visit social media to see the types of people using "all lives matter" - the vast majority are using it a manner that is clearly intended to dismiss any concerns that the black community may have. Context is meaningful in language.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:54 PM
I am the law!

Personally, I think the Black Lives Matters occupations in Toronto are a disservice to the racial focused brutality that is escalating through ignorance in the US. The focus here in Toronto should be on equality rather than extreme police actions by Toronto Police. Now, OPP Divisions throughout Southern Ontario is an entirely different matter.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:06 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Personally, I think the Black Lives Matters occupations in Toronto are a disservice to the racial focused brutality that is escalating through ignorance in the US. The focus here in Toronto should be on equality rather than extreme police actions by Toronto Police. Now, OPP Divisions throughout Southern Ontario is an entirely different matter.
Yeah BLM has some serious issues in Toronto IMO. There are some valid points to be made, however the message / actions tend to alienate people and cheapen what's occurring in the United States. They also have a big social media issue as members have said some pretty inappropriate things (often in response to equally shitty things, but still).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:01 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I heard the Tenor that did it is American.
Perhaps why they are no longer called "The Canadian Tenors"? Huh.

*looks up*

Yup. Huh. In 2012.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Perhaps why they are no longer called "The Canadian Tenors"? Huh.

*looks up*

Yup. Huh. In 2012.
His family briefly lived in Boston before returning to Ottawa when he was six months old. He's about as American as Ted Cruz is Canadian.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:40 PM
I am the law!

Ted Cruz renounced his birthright immediately upon hearing it or at least he says so. It doesn't really matter with the topic at hand. I just like saying it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:35 AM

Here's a thing: don't sing national anthems at sporting events. Done. Problem solved.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Here's a thing: don't sing national anthems at sporting events. Done. Problem solved.
I agree.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
100% agree. What I don't understand is why BLM Toronto still has a spokewoman that is in almost every interview that tweeted for Gods help so she wouldn't kill white people. She's as racists as the next person. Imagine if a white cop or politician had tweeted that!!! I also hate how they tried to lump the Native cause in with their own. I doubt Native Canadians want help this group.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 12:23 AM

Epic win today with Donaldson's hat trick of Home runs and sweep of the Twins. Fitting for it on Canada Baseball Day. It seems like the team is gearing up again like last year only we have added advantage of being on top right now.

Side note the Jays have the best attendance record in the league per capita and are 3rd actual seats filled. I forget the two teams with more but they must have massive stadiums.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:11 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Side note the Jays have the best attendance record in the league per capita and are 3rd actual seats filled. I forget the two teams with more but they must have massive stadiums.
  • 1. Los Angeles Dodgers - 45,343 avg. (3,038,032 total) [Dodger Stadium 56,000]
  • 2. St. Louis Cardinals - 42,750 avg. (2,821,541 total) [Busch Stadium 46,861]
  • 3. San Francisco Giants - 41,591 avg. (2,703,422 total) [AT&T Park 41,915]
  • 4. Toronto Blue Jays - 41,240 avg. (2,763,092 total) [Rogers Centre 49,282]
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Jays are ahead of the Giants in total but have played two more home games.

Between 1990 and 1994 the Jays never fell below 48K average. In 1993 they averaged a staggering 50,098 per game. 2015 was their best season for attendance since 1995 and 2016 has continued that trend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada