HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:17 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Another mid-rise proposal. this is all we can do for now, no high-rise all mid-rises.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...te-near-r.html
This is a recycled proposal from 11 years ago. The designs the same for the
same block on S Street. It’s more of a low-rise sense it’s below 100 feet.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:06 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Another mid-rise proposal. this is all we can do for now, no high-rise all mid-rises.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...te-near-r.html
I've long since put high-rise greed aside. These days I am for anything that removes blight and adds residences to downtown/midtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:21 PM

Looks like Yamanee will be delayed days after the developer said the project would break ground this year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...-midtowns.html

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:49 PM

It's a nice looking proposal.

According to the article, the developer has yet to obtain financing. They hope to get some cap-and-trade dollars to help fill the gaps. However, this money is usually awarded to projects in coastal California cities.

This is yet another project I'll add to my "I'll Believe it When I See it" List.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
It's a nice looking proposal.

According to the article, the developer has yet to obtain financing. They hope to get some cap-and-trade dollars to help fill the gaps. However, this money is usually awarded to projects in coastal California cities.

This is yet another project I'll add to my "I'll Believe it When I See it" List.
Lol. Imagine what Sacramento's skyline would look like if there was no San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and all the focus was on the Central Valley.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Jun 1, 2017 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:48 PM

Sacramento Is California's Newest Real-Estate Hot Spot

Well, that's interesting. Someone should tell some developers.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 7:16 PM

Article in the Bee today talking about the new state office tower at 7th & O. Sounds like they're looking into the option of building around the Heilbron House instead of moving it. Reminds me of that one highrise in Denver that was built around an old church.

Preliminary design is "20 stories and 300 feet tall".

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article154048834.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of that one highrise in Denver that was built around an old church.
Yeah that's the 1999 Broadway building 43 stories and about 550ft completed in 1985 around the Holy Ghost Church.

This sounds like a nice project of the state..

Oh btw I noticed the other day that the Sac city council ok'ed a proposal to expand/renovate the convention center which could lead to some future new downtown hotel rooms.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 10:00 PM
Kodachrome

Yikes, the state has a miserable track record when it comes to designing anything
downtown. Does the BOE tower on N Street ring a bell? Its ugly and it makes people
sick, and the East End Complex is hardly something to be proud of.

When the state builds, they don’t need approval from anyone in Sacramento. Sure, they
might hold a few meeting with residents and ask for the cities opinion, but it’s all a
show and they will build whatever they want.

How many blocks south of Capitol Mall are surface parking lots owned by the state?
Quite a few. They were all neighborhoods at one time and then in 1950’s they were
demolished by the state and have sit empty ever since. Now the state picks a block
that has one historic house built in 1881 for possible demolition? It’s unlikely but it’s
being considered.

I expect nothing more than a mediocre building. It will be big filling up the entire block
and put a few cranes in the air, but the design will suck just like all the other times the
state has crapped out buildings downtown.

Last edited by innov8; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:52 AM
Hindrance to Development

Check out the EIR for the building: http://sacrbr.aecomonline.net/ceqa.htm . It's worth a read--if you want to skip the boring stuff, look at Chapters 2 and 3, the executive summary and project description.

Currently, the plan is to leave the Heilbron mansion in place, restore it, and make it into the centerpiece of a public plaza for the new building. The cry to save the mansion was huge, and included both city and state electeds. City officials might not make much to the state, but Assembly/Senate members do, and they stood up to this. I'm not expecting great artistry from the state for this building, but it will be nice to see something besides a parking lot there, with the mansion as its centerpiece. The building has been a restaurant, a bank, and an art gallery--who knows what else it could be in this new plan?

Sure, the BOE building was terrible, but the 1980s were not a good time for architecture.

A surprising number of those 1960s parking lots (1950s was when the City knocked down the neighborhood on Capitol Avenue west of 7th, the state knocked down the stuff south of the Capitol a decade later) have turned into other things--CADA has built more than a thousand new units of housing, in addition to office properties, and has more plans for some of those parking lots in the near future. In fact, they recently acquired their first new property in a long time, behind Safeway on 18th, and CFY just submitted their plans to the city to build a midrise building with more than 150 apartments including 40% affordable housing units.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 5:53 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Check out the EIR for the building: http://sacrbr.aecomonline.net/ceqa.htm . It's worth a read--if you want to skip the boring stuff, look at Chapters 2 and 3, the executive summary and project description.

Currently, the plan is to leave the Heilbron mansion in place, restore it, and make it into the centerpiece of a public plaza for the new building. The cry to save the mansion was huge, and included both city and state electeds. City officials might not make much to the state, but Assembly/Senate members do, and they stood up to this. I'm not expecting great artistry from the state for this building, but it will be nice to see something besides a parking lot there, with the mansion as its centerpiece. The building has been a restaurant, a bank, and an art gallery--who knows what else it could be in this new plan?

Sure, the BOE building was terrible, but the 1980s were not a good time for architecture.

A surprising number of those 1960s parking lots (1950s was when the City knocked down the neighborhood on Capitol Avenue west of 7th, the state knocked down the stuff south of the Capitol a decade later) have turned into other things--CADA has built more than a thousand new units of housing, in addition to office properties, and has more plans for some of those parking lots in the near future. In fact, they recently acquired their first new property in a long time, behind Safeway on 18th, and CFY just submitted their plans to the city to build a midrise building with more than 150 apartments including 40% affordable housing units.

Thanks for the link. I'm glad they're preserving the Heilbron house because it's really a lense into Sacramento's history. I remember when it was the Galleria Posada.

I agree with you about the state designs of the past especially the 80s and the aweful East End project in the early 2000s. I'm hopeful the state will at least give Sacramento a clean project and not some menacing monstrosity clad in dark windows (again) that's another dead zone. It will be interesting to see the finished project in relation to the Heilbron house.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:49 PM

I'm not a fan of historic homes and buildings completely isolated from their original context. I would much prefer they move it to another location. I really don't want to see another SOB built in the O Street corridor anyway. Would much prefer housing.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:23 PM

Metropolitan plans re-submitted to the city. Any opinions on if it'll happen this time? I try to remain optimistic but...

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...rise-plan.html

There was also something in the Bee quoting Saca: "Saca representative Rasmussen said on Friday that the new Golden 1 Center arena is helping to improve the downtown development market. The plan is still for a high-rise in hospitality. We would hope to have something concrete and have a project moving forward within a year, he said."

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article156677899.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 7:06 PM

Good timing for John Saca. The Mayor of Sacramento is proposing a new hotel to complement the convention center renovation.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 7:19 PM

^ Wow that plan of John Saca's with the top of that spire in that rendering could make for a new Sacramento tallest.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:10 PM
Kodachrome

John Saca needs “help” from the city. What do you think the subsidy amount would be?
$3 million, $5 million or more? The list of subsidized projects is getting longer every year.

Last edited by innov8; Jun 27, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:35 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Yeah I think any subsidy on the city's part would be a mistake. The city already contributed to the G1C and recently approved millions of $$$ towards renovation of the Convention Center and Community Center Theater. It's time they allowed the market to dictate hotel construction.

Now if they want to consider tax breaks or tax deferments to help Saca (or whoever) then that might be worth considering but Saca is probably looking for a lot more than tax breaks.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Yeah I think any subsidy on the city's part would be a mistake. The city already contributed to the G1C and recently approved millions of $$$ towards renovation of the Convention Center and Community Center Theater. It's time they allowed the market to dictate hotel construction.

Now if they want to consider tax breaks or tax deferments to help Saca (or whoever) then that might be worth considering but Saca is probably looking for a lot more than tax breaks.
Agreed - I have no problem with the city subsidizing affordable housing and getting people living on the grid. Subsidizing an office tower or high-end condos though, absolutely not.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:07 AM
Hindrance to Development

The Metropolitan project has been resubmitted--it is unchanged from the original 2007 proposal. The explanation accompanying the application says that the developer believes that the project is now feasible. No mention of requesting city subsidy in the narrative, but it doesn't necessarily have to be there. No mention of any affordable housing or other tradeoffs in return for a subsidy or tax credit either.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:50 PM
Kodachrome

So the big test will be the pre-selling of half the 320 residential units so that
banks will consider it viable. That's a high mark to meet, also unlikely IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area