HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 10:28 PM
Red October standing by

Naples / Napoli - a sunny place for shady people (some Pompeii too)

Rick Steves sums up the city well:

Quote:
Take time to explore Naples. This living medieval city is its own best sight. Couples artfully canoodle on Vespas, while surrounded by more fights and smiles per cobblestone here than anywhere else in Italy. Paint a picture with these thoughts: Naples has the most intact ancient Roman street plan anywhere. Imagine life here in the days of Caesar (retain these images as you visit Pompeii) with streetside shop fronts that close up to form private homes after dark. Today is just one more page in a 2,000-year-old story of city activity: all kinds of meetings, beatings, and cheatings; kisses, near misses, and little-boy pisses.

The only thing predictable about this Neapolitan tide pool is the friendliness of its shopkeepers and the boldness of its mopeds. Concerned locals will tug on their lower eyelid, warning you to be wary. Pop into a grocery shop and ask the man to make you his best ham-and-mozzarella sandwich.

You name it, it occurs right on the streets today, as it has since ancient times. People ooze from crusty corners. Black-and-white death announcements add to the clutter on the walls. Widows sell cigarettes from buckets. For a peek behind the scenes in the shade of wet laundry, venture down a few side streets. Buy two carrots as a gift for the woman on the fifth floor if she'll lower her bucket to pick them up. The neighborhood action seems best around 18:00.

The pulse of Italy throbs in Naples. This tangled mess — the closest thing to "reality travel" you'll find in western Europe — still somehow manages to breathe, laugh, and sing...with a captivating Italian accent.
i went to Naples with my wife for valentine's day weekend to escape the cold here and visit Pompeii (a lifelong dream for both of us). of course, the typical american tourist reviews are nearly all along the line of "crime-ridden and filthy." other than a punk kid throwing an egg at the city tour bus and some shady cabbies, i didn't see any crime. not even any of the "organized pickpocketing" reported on the trains to Pompeii.

the city was great but very intense (which i loved); in parts it reminded me of Iraq, in parts Manhattan, in parts London/Paris/Barcelona. it was very surreal, somewhat like living various locales of Star Wars. i'm relieved there's not a ton of motor vehicle fatalities here every day.

and we only covered 1/4 of Pompeii despite half a day of being there, so we'll go back.

enough with the rambling, on with the pics

-

-fflint

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:13 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

very hustle bustle - looks like naples is doing quite well these days.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:39 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Great coverage. Naples is probably one of my favourite cities in the world. An intensely urban, first world western metropolis that is still gritty and "real" (so to speak) without being a decaying, crime-ridden cesspool. And there's the lovely climate, hilly, seaside topography, layers of urbanity, history, and of course the laid-back, good-living Italian lifestyle to top it off.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 3:15 AM

Fantastic!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 3:37 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
A few years ago, I read one of those cheerful news articles -- you know the type -- that come out periodically and detail which of the world's cities will definitely eventually be torn from the face of the planet like an especially irresistible scab. Naples was on the top of the list, because Vesuvius is apparently merely biding its time -- perhaps watching soap operas -- until such time as it blows its top and makes the 1906 San Francisco earthquake look like an Easter parade. I've always dreamed of visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum but when you look at that densely clotted city and consider that it lies at the foot of a mountain with unkind intentions... I dunno. With my luck, my plane would be landing at the exact moment when half the mountain goes sky-high.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 3:47 AM
It could be worse!

Great pics, LSyd! No road trip to Scampìa?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:03 AM

Your photos are just incredible. Naples does overwhelm. I didn't get to see much in 2000 when I was there with family. We caught a ferry over to Capri (too beautiful to describe) and went into Naples very briefly. I saw enough to really like it. The steep hills were surprising.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 5:26 AM

Wow, Naples looks really intimidating...in both a good and bad way. I don't mean to offend anyone from there, but the city does look like something out of the 3rd world...Rio looks cleaner by comparison.

Still though, I love the energy, color, and vitality that come through these pictures. And just seeing how tightly packed the city is, I'm very curious to know how Naples ranks in terms of density. These pics are giving me Tokyo-level density.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post

-
Ha ha, I guess this sums it up all.

Loved it. It's like a modern-day Pompeii.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:38 PM

Naples is an interesting place, definitely quite different to the Northern Italian cities. I remember seeing used syringes everywhere there. Thanks for sharing these.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
These pics are giving me Tokyo-level density.
Tokyo isn't particularly dense. I would assume Naples has significantly higher density in its core districts.

These pics are amazing, and I am a big fan of Naples, which is one of the most interesting and misunderstood cities in Europe, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:44 PM

It is almost interesting in the fact that there IS no greenery or parks. Very unique look for a European city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:06 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very nice pics and very good place to enjoy Saint Valentine's day weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Naples looks like the typical italian mediterranean city. Its centre looks certainly chaotic, like some areas in Madrid´s centre too. It must be a very interesting city to visit, above all Pompeii.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wonderful chaos.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:22 PM
Babylon falling

Great shots, Lysd. Those mountains far in the background of one of your shots look super tall maybe 6000 feet or so, didn't know those were back there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:45 PM

It looks magical.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:00 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nice set.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:59 PM

Naples is certainly not Firenze. That's for sure. Only saw a brief portion of it driving through on my way to Pompeii and Sorrento and then from the ferry back from Capri. I wanted to check it out but had to move on to Roma. Very interesting indeed!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:18 AM

Thanks for the memorable tour! I'm such a sucker for hilly cities, seeing buildings perched on hillsides!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:49 PM
Paradise Island

Naples looks amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos