HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 2:43 PM
Keith C.

Georgia State University Atlanta Campus 4K Aerial Video

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 7:29 PM

Nice, ran through the campus Thursday morning. Only took one pic on the campus though.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 8:40 PM

Nice. I still am not sure what they were thinking when they demolished Kell Hall and the Library plaza. Now you have to go upstairs to get to the library and Langdale Hall. Maybe they have a long term plan and that was just Phase 1.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 9:22 PM
BANNED

might legitmately be one of the ugliest campuses in the country. The new basketball stadium and other developments in Summerhill are nice tho.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 12:55 AM

Ignoring the Chicago troll. GSU is doing great things downtown. They graduate more black students than any other school.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Ignoring the Chicago troll. GSU is doing great things downtown. They graduate more black students than any other school.
Not a troll, just offering my opinion as I lived in both cities. Thats fantastic, but what does that have to do with it still being a ghastly looking campus? I actually graduated from GSU, couldn't way to leave tbh. Homeless everywhere, just ugly concrete everywhere. architecture is trash. It's a commuter school so I never got that real college experience. Every week I got sent alerts of students being robbed and assaulted walking the street. Georgia Tech campus is way better, feels like an actual college campus, no homeless, and lots of greenery.

And they are, won't disagree with that. The new Mixed use gas station/retail building they built over the old shell is nice, should be a model for downtowns across the nation who want to keep gas stations but still use the plot of land efficiently.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:40 AM

The gas station was a good idea in theory. If you've ever been there in real life, it's a mess. It's a tiny lot for 2-3 restaurants plus a gas station, and cars always get stuck in there.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 1:15 PM

GSU definitely doesn't have the nicest urban campus, but they're slowly making progress on improving it. The new green space that is getting added should help a good bit. Way too much concrete and not enough open space for pedestrians in my opinion. Hopefully this won't be the case 10 years from now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 1:40 PM
BANNED

I think the state of GSU's campus is more indicative on the state of downtown than the school itself. I mean students to this day don't even have a damn grocery store in the neighborhood. This is why projects like the Gulch and Centennial Yards are so important, downtown badly needs the revitalization and gentrification that Midtown has been getting these years. Midtown is much nicer, much more vibrant, and less homeless and crime, so you can see how GT is the way it is vs GSU. I feel like GSU could easily be an NYU-esque school where the school integrates perfectly with the urban surroundings, it just needs some work.

Yeah the gas station can be a zoo at times, but my point still stands. If cities want gas stations downtown, better build some housing on top of it. Not gonna lie, I never seen a gas station/housing/retail mix before, so salute for the school for coming up with that.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Not a troll, just offering my opinion as I lived in both cities. Thats fantastic, but what does that have to do with it still being a ghastly looking campus? I actually graduated from GSU, couldn't way to leave tbh. Homeless everywhere, just ugly concrete everywhere. architecture is trash. It's a commuter school so I never got that real college experience. Every week I got sent alerts of students being robbed and assaulted walking the street. Georgia Tech campus is way better, feels like an actual college campus, no homeless, and lots of greenery.

And they are, won't disagree with that. The new Mixed use gas station/retail building they built over the old shell is nice, should be a model for downtowns across the nation who want to keep gas stations but still use the plot of land efficiently.
Opinions are one thing, but you are the epitome of a damn troll if there ever was one.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:26 PM

Quote:

I used to visit Georgia State all the time. There were a lot of homeless at Woodruff Park and around the fountain but it's not really the case anymore. Also, the Fairlie Poplar area with the Aderhold building/Rialto Theater and GSU students is some of the best urban parts in all of Atlanta : https://goo.gl/maps/HuoQ2N87VShMH2rf8

To say it might be one of the ugliest campuses in the country is hyperbole at best.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I used to visit Georgia State all the time. There were a lot of homeless at Woodruff Park and around the fountain but it's not really the case anymore. Also, the Fairlie Poplar area with the Aderhold building/Rialto Theater and GSU students is some of the best urban parts in all of Atlanta : https://goo.gl/maps/HuoQ2N87VShMH2rf8

To say it might be one of the ugliest campuses in the country is hyperbole at best.
I commend Georgia state for valuing education and being a value school, who probably spends more on education and less on all aesthetics which it seems like schools such as UGA on making the campus beautiful (in the name of ‘attracting top students and faculty’). With that said, I think it is one of the ugliest campuses with the monolithic 70’s ‘star wars’ architecture. I think they are doing a good job with their new buildings but they are not going to be able to cover up the 1980’s ‘jail’ architecture very easily.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I commend Georgia state for valuing education and being a value school, who probably spends more on education and less on all aesthetics which it seems like schools such as UGA on making the campus beautiful (in the name of ‘attracting top students and faculty’). With that said, I think it is one of the ugliest campuses with the monolithic 70’s ‘star wars’ architecture. I think they are doing a good job with their new buildings but they are not going to be able to cover up the 1980’s ‘jail’ architecture very easily.
Just two of the buildings look like that on Decatur street. The rest of the campus is fine.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Fairlie Poplar has tons of potential and is really the only Northeastern-esque, dense area in the city, but its far from being the best, currently atleast. It's filled with vacant storefronts, and again, homeless everywhere. Atlanta really needs to get serious about cleaning up downtown before it starts giving Skid Row in LA a run for its money. Woodruff park is basically a homeless shelter these days, definitely hasn't changed.

It's really not a hyperbole lol like montydawg said.

Georgia State is #8 on this list of 50 ugliest college campuses

https://www.complex.com/style/ugly-c...ate-university

#9 here

https://www.travelandleisure.com/att...llege-campuses

Go visit GA Tech, Emory, UGA campuses, and then tell me yeah this campus nice.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:46 AM

Quote:
I had no idea how much the Georgia Tech campus had changed until I took my daughter to freshman orientation. The campus interior -- which can't be seen from the road -- is stunningly beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Fairlie Poplar has tons of potential and is really the only Northeastern-esque, dense area in the city, but its far from being the best, currently atleast. It's filled with vacant storefronts, and again, homeless everywhere. Atlanta really needs to get serious about cleaning up downtown before it starts giving Skid Row in LA a run for its money. Woodruff park is basically a homeless shelter these days, definitely hasn't changed.

It's really not a hyperbole lol like montydawg said.

Georgia State is #8 on this list of 50 ugliest college campuses

https://www.complex.com/style/ugly-c...ate-university

#9 here

https://www.travelandleisure.com/att...llege-campuses

You are beyond clueless, and show your complete ignorance of Atlanta in post after post. I don't believe you've ever lived here, you have zero credibility at this point.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 3:55 AM

I could have gone to UGA, Emory, Georgia Tech… I went to GSU because I REALLY liked the idea of living in a city, not on a campus. I ended up going all the way from undergrad through PhD there. It might not be the idyllic version of a college campus that you have in mind, but that was never what I wanted. It draws kids because of its urban fabric, not in spite of it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 10:24 AM

Just for kicks I searched my pics for Georgia State and here are a few examples of about 100. They are just based on iPhone tagging so not claiming full accuracy and did in a hurry. They were not taken as GSU specific but just random pics on random runs.

Also have hundreds of pics from GA Tech and lots from SCAD.

Last edited by Julien; Aug 2, 2022 at 10:37 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta