HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I'm still curious if they are going to give the Bypass an official street name. I've already suggested Thunderchild Road (or Way) to city council, and they loved it, but told me that since it's owned by the provincial government it is up to them.
IMO Expressway, Freeway or even Trail would be more appropriate than Road or Way.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:54 PM

Perhaps with more interchange work to come, they don’t want to confuse drivers by raising/lowering the speed limit frequently? (I’m grasping for a rational explanation)

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Perhaps with more interchange work to come, they don’t want to confuse drivers by raising/lowering the speed limit frequently? (I’m grasping for a rational explanation)
One would have to when talking about traffic control in the Regina area.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
IMO Expressway, Freeway or even Trail would be more appropriate than Road or Way.
Agreed.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I'm still curious if they are going to give the Bypass an official street name. I've already suggested Thunderchild Road (or Way) to city council, and they loved it, but told me that since it's owned by the provincial government it is up to them.
I believe we have had this discussion before, but why Thunderchild? He seems like an interesting dude, but he is not from any where near here. There are plenty of more local, historical chiefs.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
One would have to when talking about traffic control in the Regina area.
LOL. But remember, these are the companies that built the Calgary and Edmonton ring roads, and we’re already seeing elements never before used in Saskatchewan, including little things like exit numbers.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
LOL. But remember, these are the companies that built the Calgary and Edmonton ring roads, and we’re already seeing elements never before used in Saskatchewan, including little things like exit numbers.
Exit numbers are great. Do they have signage indicating the distances to the next three exits? I don't seem to see any based on photos and videos which is too bad if that's the case. It's a great feature if you're new to the area as it gives you some lead time to get ready to exit.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 2:00 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Would a name like “Regina Thruway” sound too American?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Not much different from its current official name, Regina Bypass.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Exit numbers are great. Do they have signage indicating the distances to the next three exits? I don't seem to see any based on photos and videos which is too bad if that's the case. It's a great feature if you're new to the area as it gives you some lead time to get ready to exit.
Signage is not yet complete. But I don’t see why it wouldn’t, since the old Ring Road has always had those.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Isn't the bypass taking over the highway names and the old closer in highways will be renamed? It seems that's what they're doing to number 11 coming into the city.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 11:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea I meant Regina Thruway for the inner partial ring.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:03 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
I believe we have had this discussion before, but why Thunderchild? He seems like an interesting dude, but he is not from any where near here. There are plenty of more local, historical chiefs.
It's one of the approved names for street naming in the city of Regina.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's time we borrow from Calgary and Edmonton and call it a Trail instead of a Road or Way.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Maybe it's time we borrow from Calgary and Edmonton and call it a Trail instead of a Road or Way.
Or not. I've always disliked the term "Trail" that they use. Seems a little overboard on the whole "wild west" theme that gets over used out there.

Just plain numbers are the way to go. Numbers can't be found to be guilty of human or animal rights violations 50 yrs from now.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 11:08 PM

I don’t like “Trail” either but “Wild West” is not really a fair characterization of its use in Alberta. There’s genuine historical significance.

For my money, “Regina Bypass” is a perfectly adequate name.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I don’t like “Trail” either but “Wild West” is not really a fair characterization of its use in Alberta. There’s genuine historical significance.

For my money, “Regina Bypass” is a perfectly adequate name.
I will not rest until we get the Elizabeth II By the Grace of God Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith Memorial Bypass and put it on every sign.

Or Fiacco Freeway.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I will not rest until we get the Elizabeth II By the Grace of God Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith Memorial Bypass and put it on every sign.

Or Fiacco Freeway.
...but she is still kicking. This almost sounds like an assassination threat.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Or not. I've always disliked the term "Trail" that they use. Seems a little overboard on the whole "wild west" theme that gets over used out there.

Just plain numbers are the way to go. Numbers can't be found to be guilty of human or animal rights violations 50 yrs from now.
Agree that naming anything after an individual is very risky in our society that imposes current standards on historical figures. I am OK with a name in addition to numbers if it is really awesome. Maybe they could have a contest. "Freeway McFreewayface"?

As far as numbers, Tower Rd to Pinkie interchange would be #1, Pinkie interchange to 11 N (Condie) would be 11. Old 11 from Condie to Albert (#6) would be maybe 11A? Vic E from Tower to Ring Rd and Ring Rd south to Pinkie would be 1A, I assume.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Agree that naming anything after an individual is very risky in our society that imposes current standards on historical figures. I am OK with a name in addition to numbers if it is really awesome. Maybe they could have a contest. "Freeway McFreewayface"?.
Maybe we can make a nod to our British cousins and our American neighbours and call it the Freeway Motorway (or the Motorway Freeway, whatever you prefer).

I'm good, in all seriousness, with the idea of the stub of Highway 11 from the bypass to north Regina being called Highway 11A. There is Canadian precedent for older highway sections being renumbered this way (1A near Calgary and the separate section of 1A in Banff National Park come to mind).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan