HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The updated CBC article says he grabbed the officers baton but in the video I didn't see him ever have possession of it. To me it looked like the officer definitely was choking him and it sure didn't look there there was any reason to shoot him. I think there's going to be a lot of problems over this incident.
Undoubtedly so but people are always quick to judge, usually based on their own predetermined leanings.

I don't think the video shows whether or not he had the officer's baton or anything else in his hands before the shot was fired. He's out of view for a bit of time before the shot is fired.

I paused the video from what I can see the officer who fired the shot is the one who was wrestling with him from the beginning.

We also don't know why the officer was wrestling with him to begin with, as when the video begins they're already wrestling.

What I've also heard is that the guy who was shot had just been sentenced for some sort of conviction.

If he's sentenced to jail for a crime (the gravity of which we do not know) then it's the job of these constables to make sure you don't run away - if indeed that's the reason this guy was put in a headlock in the first place.

Somehow I doubt it's standard operating procedure for special constables at the Maniwaki courthouse to put people in headlocks (in front of their families, people filming, etc.) for absolutely no reason at all.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
CBC has updated the story and there's video now. Holy fuck what a crazy scene! Unfortunately I don't understand French so I could only understand what the people speaking English were saying. If you watch the video very carefully it looks as if the security guy (or whatever they are) shot the guy while he was down. So many officers and yet they had to shoot the guy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ebec-1.4512228
I don't think the video clearly shows that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Anyway, a perfect example of why tasers should be standard issue for people who do these types of jobs. Hopefully everyone pulls through.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anyway, a perfect example of why tasers should be standard issue for people who do these types of jobs. Hopefully everyone pulls through.
CBC has updated the story again. Talking about the video the article states:

In it, people in the room can be heard saying, "Put down your gun." Others can be heard appealing for calm in both English and French.

I've watched the video numerous times now and I'm not hearing anyone say "put down your gun" in English. There's lots of talk about a gun but nothing that specific as far as I can tell. Hopefully they release more details soon so we can get some clarity. I also hope everyone pulls through. It would be senseless for someone to lose their life in this way.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:43 PM

Holy crap!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

In French many people say drop your gun many times.

News reports saying officer hit many times on head with baton.

Shooting victim stable but in coma.

Source is local police tracker social media.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:

I assumed they were saying it to one of the security guys, not to the 18 year old.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:

CBC is now saying the teen hit the officer with his baton and that the officer shot him in the head. They didn't say where the officer was hit.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:25 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto is at 5.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I assumed they were saying it to one of the security guys, not to the 18 year old.
That was pretty clear to me as well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am pretty sure Gatineau is now at 1 for 2018.

Unrelated to the mayhem in Maniwaki of course.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 1:55 AM
I am a typical

What happened in Maniwaki could have been worse. Kind of ironic that it happened in Canada just days after many Canadians responded to the incident in Columbus with the usual "that can't happen here!" Obviously it can, it just doesn't happen as often.

Thunder Bay hasn't had a homicide in months, and police efforts to keep a closer eye on the rivers is working, fewer people have been found in them since the summer. Police responded to over 450 incidents along our rivers in 2017.

A vigil was held on Monday evening for Barbara Kentner, on the one year anniversary of her being struck by a trailer hitch thrown from a moving car. She passed away in July. Prayers, drumming and a round dance were held at the site where the assault took place and friends and family shared their memories of Kentner and thoughts about the situation. About 100 attended, despite -20 degree temperatures. The trail for the assailant will take place in spring.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:29 PM

MTL at 2 now after a stabbing. So far, both homicides have been committed by women.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:45 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay had its first homicide on Monday evening. We found out this morning when the police announced they had arrested the murderer and his accomplice. The victim's identity and that of the accomplice are still being withheld.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...of-2018-833942

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Interestingly enough the mounting shooting total in Ottawa in recent years has had almost no spillover into Gatineau.

But... about 2 hours ago shots were fired from a moving car at a Gatineau strip club a few km from my place. Around 8 pm this evening.

I was in the vicinity (say, 300 m away) with my kids about 2 hours before.

Hopefully this is just a one-off. Or maybe it was just a matter of time.
When is a shooting not a shooting? When it isn't.

Regarding this shooting, police issued a statement this week that it was not a shooting. Damage on the strip club's outer wall wasn't from bullets. So a false alarm. No other explanation was given as to what the bang-bang noise was.

We did have another shooting about a week ago in an apartment building in the Hull part of Gatineau. A teenage girl was slightly injured by flying glass. The next day two people from Ottawa were arrested in the same part of Hull.

So that stands as Gatineau's only shooting so far in 2018.

We've also had one murder: cause of death was strangulation I think.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:58 PM

BREAKING
Remains of 6 people found on Toronto property tied to Bruce McArthur

CBC News Posted: Feb 08, 2018 11:40 AM ET

Police say the remains of six people, including those of Andrew Kinsman who went missing in June 2017, have been found on a property where alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur stored landscaping equipment.

McArthur, a 66-year-old landscaper, is charged with five counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of five men.

"I do anticipate more charges being laid," said Det-Sgt. Hank Idsinga on Thursday.

Human remains belonging to at least three people had already been found hidden in large planters on the property, located on Mallory Crescent.

Now, police are confirming that body parts belonging to three others have been found. They have not identified who the remains belong to.

The search of the Mallory Crescent property is far from over, with excavation in the yard beginning Thursday. The owners of the property allowed McArthur to store equipment on their property in exchange for landscaping services.

Using ground penetrating radar and canine units, police identified an area of the yard where the earth had been disturbed and set to thawing the frozen ground using a tent and large heaters.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tion-1.4526240

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:28 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

With the acquittal of Gerald Stanley in Colten Boushie’s case, is the relationship between the aboriginal people and the rest permanently marred?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:14 PM
I am a typical

It was already marred to begin with, this isn't really increasing the marring, it's just a couple steps back in the unmarring (reconciliation) process. A few decades ago there were trials just like this one every week and no one ever protested them, it was considered normal. At least we've reached a point where society isn't tolerating it anymore.

The next trial to watch for is the one of Brayden Bushby in Thunder Bay. He's been charged with second degree murder in the death of Barbara Kentner, after (allegedly) throwing a trailer hitch at at her in January 2017, causing internal injuries which she later died from in July of 2017. It is alleged he yelled out "got one!" after striking her. After the coroners report of her death, the charge was upgraded to homicide, indicating the report links the assault and her death; his charge was upgraded from assault to second degree murder in November 2017. A pre-trial was supposed to be held in January but as far as I know it was pushed back and has yet to occur. The actual trial could be a year or so away. (The current major trial in our media is the Ottawa GG's assault trial which goes back to 2014).

Th Bushby case has polarized the city in a very similar way to how the Stanley trial has polarized Canada, and this will likely spread nationwide during the trial. It will also likely be seen as an ability for Canada to "redeem" itself, and I think that the blowback to the verdict from the Stanley trial might have some influence in the eventual decision.

One of the most interesting aspects of this case, however, is that the supporters of Bushby (the assailant) believe that what he did was was justified because Kentner had (allegedly) assaulted him in the weeks before it happened. However, if what they say is true, then that means the murder should be first degree, since this would be pre-meditated and revenge-based, not just incidental as a result of committing a separate crime. It's as if they subconsciously feel that killing natives accidentally is wrong, but killing them on purpose is OK? We've seen similar sentiment with Boushie and with many of the black people killed by police in the US: "his murder was justified because he was committing a misdemeanor". It's disgusting and uncivilized to think this way.

I also have to add though: the amount of stress in Thunder Bay's indigenous community in particular is reaching a breaking point. If Bushby isn't found guilty of something, there will be riots in this city. I can pretty much guarantee that. I don't condone it, but that's the gravity of the situation here at the current time.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
With the acquittal of Gerald Stanley in Colten Boushie’s case, is the relationship between the aboriginal people and the rest permanently marred?
The bigger question would be has the increasingly brazen attacks on business owners/farmers, largely committed by the aboriginal community members, while increasingly understaffed isolated rural RCMP detachments are helpless due to retirements and maternity leave... has this increasingly built a bigger wedge in relationship between aboriginal people and the 'rest'?

Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities has already petitioned for action on increasing crime rate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rime-1.3847177

Mean while the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations don't want business owners/farmers to have more rights to protect themselves. FSIN doesn't even cooperate with law enforcement as a rule.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...st-nation-land

The National media frenzy with the Saskatchewan murder trial this week only brought to light the increasing strain that's been occurring.

In this particular incident, elderly Gerald Stanley was in a physical confrontation with robber Colten Boushie when the gun discharged. There have been other cases, including one's not even having to do with self defence that had jury decision issue an acquittal.

Quote:
When self-defence cases proceed to trial, juries are often quite sympathetic to homeowners, or even shop owners, who may have used excessive force against an intruder.
Montreal shop owner, Francois Guerin opened fire on two robbers as they ran away from his wife’s convenience store, killing one and wounding the other. Police charged Mr. Guerin with criminal negligence causing death and criminal negligence causing injury, but was acquitted by a jury.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...ntruders-court

We will just have to wait to see if this Saskatchewan event that garnered National media attention for the past 18 months was just due to it calling the 'race card' against a 'white' Saskatchewan farmer caught up in trying to protect his property with an aboriginal assailant.

If Gerald Stanley had been a Millwright & a former Military Reservist from Hamilton Ontario, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now.

http://www.chch.com/peter-khill-back-court/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...bail-1.3453633

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:37 PM

Hundreds protest in Vancouver following Stanley not-guilty verdict
Vancouver rally was one of several held across Canada on Saturday

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...dict-1.4530382

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada