HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 5:40 PM

Dempster at times can be quite fluid. Plus the cost of paving and then servicing it would be quite high. Plus with the winter conditions gravel makes more sense.

The last time I drove a section the rental did not have glass coverage but undercarriage coverage. And I almost needed it as the rental was airborne at least twice on the trip to McPherson

They are paving roads in Iqaluit now.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 7:42 PM
ARTchitecture

Have they finalized what the grid of the city of Iqaluit is going to be? I thought they were going to be doing a huge redevelopment.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:00 AM

Most of the roads aren't paved up here per se. In Whitehorse, obviously they are 'full asphalt' roads......maybe 25 km out of town in all directions they change to chip seal (BST). Thankful they do too. The roads are quite fluid, especially with frost heave and seasonal change so the BST is more elastic.....imagine a twizzler that gets pushed at both ends, stays intact....now try to flex a cookie....and thats what would happen to an fully paved highway up here.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:59 AM
Rational urbanist

Is BST smooth like asphalt?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:34 PM

BST is smoother than gravel, but nowhere near as smooth as asphalt. You get alot of road noise driving the Alaska highway.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevvac View Post
BST is smoother than gravel, but nowhere near as smooth as asphalt. You get alot of road noise driving the Alaska highway.
Klondike Highway north was pretty noisey and rolly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:40 PM

Is BST similar to Macadam?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 1:21 PM
Closed account

It's not necessarily specifically about development, but the Globe and Mail has a great article about the North on their site: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16364070/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 12:36 PM

Hay River, NWT opens new fire hall: http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2433614775/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
It's not necessarily specifically about development, but the Globe and Mail has a great article about the North on their site: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16364070/
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed this series.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 3:34 PM

Get your self a subscription to Up Here magazine.
give a good account of life in the North. And as the series says the North is nothing Like people expect. Probably one of the reasons I find projects that take me into the North. Mostly Baffin but occasionally the western Arctic as well.

Its going to be a busy year for construction in the North.

Norman Wells Heath Centre, Iqaluit Air Terminal and Combined Services Building, Iqaluit pool. Baffin Correction Centre addition. Housing in almost every community. Mine expansion in the Kevalik Region. Mary River Iron Mine.

Those are the ones I know of and I know there are quite a few others.

http://uphere.ca/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 9:03 PM

Not really Territory news, but a school burn down in a community in Nunavik. Terrible news.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/storie...weekend_blaze/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:35 AM

This is good for us architect-y types living up here. And good for the territory as well, our infrastructure could use a boost.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...tion-1.2586159

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:43 AM
Rational urbanist

I get a little tickle in my tummy every time this thread comes up on my subscriptions

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:42 PM

Maybe Dawson will get a major upgrade to the airport. And is F H Colins ever taking a long time. when I was up in WH a couple of years back they were just starting some clearing. then all the redesign work.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:46 PM

Dawson is rumoured to be getting an upgrade to the terminal / airport....they are getting a new international 'wing' (read trailer) this year for the new flights to Fairbanks. FH Collins was finally awarded to Clark Builders......should be some other even bigger stuff coming down the pipe soon for Whitehorse.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:54 PM
ARTchitecture

Perhaps a new legistlature to replace the botched abortion that currently houses the Yukon Government?

Would like to see a mid-rise office building or two go up in the downtown area, dense it up a bit! How did Mah's Point turn out? Anyone there care to provide a photo?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:12 PM

Mah's point.......hmmm....well its the tallest building in town, I can say that much. I will try to get a photo this evening. There may be an office building (though not a mid-rise) coming soon.....actually there are a few interesting things coming up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Dawson is rumoured to be getting an upgrade to the terminal / airport....they are getting a new international 'wing' (read trailer) this year for the new flights to Fairbanks. FH Collins was finally awarded to Clark Builders......should be some other even bigger stuff coming down the pipe soon for Whitehorse.
Major hospital renos coming. as for FH i was working on some design issues 3 years ago.

Whitehorse was getting flights from Alaska as well.

I will have to chat with the guys in our WH office and get the low down. I was last up 2 years ago doing some work on the Prison.

The new Iqaluit airport has a substantial International arrivals area in the plan as well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:18 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
What do you mean by trailer? I can't even picture that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada