HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:40 PM

The units are probably great. I was more disappointed in the building in general. When you're talking about a minimum of $1 million/unit, one would hope that could justify the highers cost of a unique design (or at the very least minimal spandrel). I know Toronto's never going to be New York and wasn't expecting a One 57 or 8 Spruce Street, but it's still disheartening that this is what absolute top-of-the-market prices gets us in Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I know Toronto's never going to be New York and wasn't expecting a One 57...
We've got the L-Tower in Toronto. What more could you ask for...?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
We've got the L-Tower in Toronto. What more could you ask for...?
You mean our 205m crane platform?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
The units are probably great. I was more disappointed in the building in general. When you're talking about a minimum of $1 million/unit, one would hope that could justify the highers cost of a unique design (or at the very least minimal spandrel). I know Toronto's never going to be New York and wasn't expecting a One 57 or 8 Spruce Street, but it's still disheartening that this is what absolute top-of-the-market prices gets us in Toronto.

Wait are we even talking about the same building now? I'm talking about The One. I don't see any spandrel in the design. It will also be one of the few NY quality high end buildings in the city that even in NY would be considered a top of the line condo tower. Door Men, room service, valet parking, and designed by one of the globes best high rise architectural firms.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Wait are we even talking about the same building now? I'm talking about The One. I don't see any spandrel in the design. It will also be one of the few NY quality high end buildings in the city that even in NY would be considered a top of the line condo tower. Door Men, room service, valet parking, and designed by one of the globes best high rise architectural firms.
Every iteration looked like it had some form of it.

This looks newer. I don't even know what you call that. Vent spandrel? either way looks like crap.

I couldn't care less about amenities like a doorman. My comparison to NYC is not about the luxury living provided by the building. It's about a price point that allows for expenditures that create a quality building while still turning a profit.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:33 PM

It's all in the details and this one should be according to the developer and architect be all about the details. Unlike the vast majority of all condo's across N.A including NYC this one will still be of extremely high quality while still turning a profit hense the high price tags per unit.

I'd gladly live here if I was looking to move. I don't see anything that looks like crap or that wouldn't be considered a great building in NYC either. The finishes you see in the renders are standard finishes for each unit including the breakfast bar on the window depending on your units layout.

Source: https://urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
For not liking spandrel you praised a building that is covered in it (One 57).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:14 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Every iteration looked like it had some form of it.

This looks newer. I don't even know what you call that. Vent spandrel? either way looks like crap.

I couldn't care less about amenities like a doorman. My comparison to NYC is not about the luxury living provided by the building. It's about a price point that allows for expenditures that create a quality building while still turning a profit.
None of that looks like spandrel. I actually really like the One's design even though it is essentially a box. The diagrid is cool and so are the colours and materials. IMO it looks nicer than 432 Park Ave which is really just a tall skinny box. It's not as good as 111 West 57th but is still really nice.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:14 PM
HVAC guru

^ Nice looking building but absolutely hate the built in chaise around the perimeter. I would not want that in my suite.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:16 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ Nice looking building but absolutely hate the built in chaise around the perimeter. I would not want that in my suite.
Why's that?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:20 PM
HVAC guru

^ Waste of square footage first of all. Lack of flexibility. They stopped putting banquette seating in homes in the 80's for a reason. This is the same thing IMO

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:22 PM

Any building can be improved. I'd say it incorporates it better than an uninterrupted horizontal strip around the building. It matches colours with the vertical pattern and overall i'd call it pretty unoffensive.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
^ Waste of square footage first of all. Lack of flexibility. They stopped putting banquette seating in homes in the 80's for a reason. This is the same thing IMO
If you're in a luxury condo in this building you probably can afford to lose a couple feet of square footage around the edges. I think it would be awesome to sit on that bench and look outside every morning. Realistically it will probably just become an area to store stuff though.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:48 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
For not liking spandrel you praised a building that is covered in it (One 57).

That's not all spandrel.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:55 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Depends. If it is just seating around the perimeter than yes. If it's hiding mechanical systems that would normally be in bulkheads hanging from the ceiling slab than I think it's actually a good use of space. I'm basing this off the "spandrel" grillwork on the exterior. Is this even possible?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Depends. If it is just seating around the perimeter than yes. If it's hiding mechanical systems that would normally be in bulkheads hanging from the ceiling slab than I think it's actually a good use of space. I'm basing this off the "spandrel" grillwork on the exterior. Is this even possible?
Maybe... they could have an induction system that pushes air up the glass in the space between the glazing and the bench. If they actually did have something like that I'd tip my hat to the developer for putting some thought into an HVAC system for a residential building for a change, rather than just stuffing a crummy heat pump in a closet like most do

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Omg that's the exact same thing I thought when I saw them. What are they thinking?? I would be ripping that out before I move in lol

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Well other buildings can put in their building systems without a ton of bulkheads and bankets. But regardless I'd rather bulkheads and have the window go right to the floor

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:05 PM
I am the law!

I like unobstructed ceilings and like it when the glass goes right up to it. I also like having a buffer between the floor and glass too. It freaks me out when it goes right to the floor. Is unobstructed floor to ceiling glass achieveable? Sure. Is it done in Toronto? In my experience, there's always a bulkhead at the ceiling.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 10:31 PM

Ugh, I'm glad we don't have anything like One 57 here. That's one unattractive building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada