HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I would think they'd do a criminal background check, a credit check, check for insurance, driving record, maybe ask for references, etc.
I've used Uber,
They do extensive background checks on drivers in all states as far as the law allows. They also supply the commercial insurance so that everyone is covered in a accident. The limits are 100K for BI and $25K for PD. Uber's insurance is written through James River Insurance Co and the insured is Raiser LLC which is a subsidiary of Uber. Uber Technologies is listed as additionally insured.

While the uber rider and driver are covered during a Uber transcaction. Note that if a driver is between calls, he is not covered by Uber.

Consider that his own insurance policy will not cover him for commuting between Uber pickups/dropoffs as he is using his personal insurance to operate in a manner similar to a taxi even though he doesn't have passengers.

So if the "off the clock" Uber driver has an accident during his commute, he is not covered under his own personal insurance policy and neither are pedestrians, other cars etc.

Kind of sketchy if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM

One could assume that this is the way most owner/operators are covered when it comes to the companies that they are driving for. I really don't think especially with Uber black that this is a new thing, its just that Uber has been able to scale in and bring it into the digital realm.

I think with BC having a single insurer in the end it will be a lot easier to keep these sort of things under control where you can't even get plates without having insurance.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:22 PM

If anyone wants to see the level of time and energy the taxi industry is putting into lobbying municipal governments to prevent Uber from coming here, here is what is being presented at City of North Van council tonight:

http://www.cnv.org/attach/2014%2010%...0item%2013.pdf

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
If anyone wants to see the level of time and energy the taxi industry is putting into lobbying municipal governments to prevent Uber from coming here, here is what is being presented at City of North Van council tonight:

http://www.cnv.org/attach/2014%2010%...0item%2013.pdf
I should hope so. Uber and the like will put the conventional taxi industry out of business.

The sooner the better IMO.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:45 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Thanks, Phesto. I was prepared to read the whole PDF, but by page 13, I was like, "Um, no."

They really want to protect their golden goose. I don't blame them, but I can't wait to see massive changes come to the taxi/transportation business in Vancouver. It's a MAJOR rip off compared to other cities around the world.

Hong Kong, which is a pretty expensive city overall, has fares that are about 60% less than Vancouver's. Shanghai's taxis are about 70% less.

Uber came in to Shanghai last year, and it's been a success as far as I can tell. It can get pretty difficult to get taxis during rush hour/weekend nights, and Uber has filled that gap nicely. The cars are really nice too; Mercedes, Audis and BMWs primarily.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I should hope so. Uber and the like will put the conventional taxi industry out of business.

The sooner the better IMO.
My brother uses Uber in Mexico City almost daily. He says the service is infinitely better than taxis and about 20% cheaper.

The customer service is also fantastic. For example, he had a driver show up in the wrong car (the guy claimed his usual car was in the shop for repairs) and my brother complained. Uber refunded the trip and gave him a 500 peso (about $35USD) credit.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Uber does a background check, and allegedly "checks for the proper insurance" on the vehicle.

I think they might need a little more regulation, but certainly the taxi monopoly needs to be broken one way or another.
Here's one thing I never understood about Uber vs Taxi's...

You need a Class 4 Commercial Drivers License (Restricted) or better to drive a Taxi. Do other jurisdictions not have similar requirements?
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...and-types.aspx
Quote:
Class 4 (restricted)
Taxis
What you can use it for:
To drive taxis and limousines (up to 10 persons including the driver)
To drive passengers for payment, for a service such as Uber or Lyft
To drive ambulances
To drive special vehicles with a seating capacity of not more than 10 persons (including the driver) used to transport people with disabilities
To drive any vehicle in Class 5
Hmm ICBC has FAQ question just for Uber/Lyft
http://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Driver...x?expand=div14
Quote:
Before you pick up your first passenger you’ll also need:
-The owner of the vehicle to declare how they plan to use the vehicle so the insurance can be properly assigned a specific taxi or limousine rate class. Talk to your broker, they can help make sure you have the right coverage for how you use your vehicle.
-Licence plates specially designated for taxis and limousines
You will also need:
-A licence approved by B.C.’s Passenger Transportation Board
-A National Safety Code Safety Certificate
-Semi-annual commercial vehicle inspections
-Check with the municipality where you plan to operate for any additional requirements

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:19 PM

Also worth noting:

Quote:
Question: If I want to use my vehicle to transport four passengers do I need a special driver's licence?

Ans:
In most cases, no. A Class 5 driver's licence or Class 7 is all you need. But you'll need a Class 4 professional driver's licence to operate a taxi or a vehicle modified to transport disabled persons.
You also need a Class 4 if you want to rent a van to transport groups of 10 or 25 people, such as your daughter's soccer team. Don't forget that number also includes you, the driver.
I think in this case "operate a taxi" would apply to anybody selling services as a driver.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:54 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 1:03 AM

The lines in that article about 'buying a share' in a taxi show exactly what is wrong with the local taxi industry.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 9:52 PM
Hello World

My biggest potential concern with Uber would be the insurance liability for the driver/passangers if an accident were to happen. But it seems like somebody else earlier in this thread already mentioned that you are covered under Uber's insurance as a passenger, is that correct ? If so, then I guess there is even less concern for me then. I have used Uber when I visited San Francisco earlier this year and it was pretty great. Nice car, nice driver (not some crazy talkative creep), and easy enough to find an available one. No problem from my experience so I hope they come back to Vancouver.

What is this whole UberX, UberBlack whatever variation of Uber ? What's the difference ? It's not just the same Uber experience I had in San Francisco ?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
My biggest potential concern with Uber would be the insurance liability for the driver/passangers if an accident were to happen. But it seems like somebody else earlier in this thread already mentioned that you are covered under Uber's insurance as a passenger, is that correct ? If so, then I guess there is even less concern for me then. I have used Uber when I visited San Francisco earlier this year and it was pretty great. Nice car, nice driver (not some crazy talkative creep), and easy enough to find an available one. No problem from my experience so I hope they come back to Vancouver.

What is this whole UberX, UberBlack whatever variation of Uber ? What's the difference ? It's not just the same Uber experience I had in San Francisco ?
UberX is their "rideshare" service and is along the same lines as Lyft. This is their lower cost option. Uber Black you would be in a towncar, audi a6, mercedes e or s class etc and is higher priced. With that said I took Uber black in Vancouver when it was here and it ended up being the exact same as a taxi ride. Their minimum IIRC was around 12 bucks and point to point in downtown vancouver never really went over the minimum. A taxi with a 2 buck tip would be about the same. Which would you pick? I use uber when I am in seattle and would use it in any other city where it exists. Uber black is a great service.

I dont understand why the taxi companies don't just avail themselves of uber's infrastructure like they did in NYC.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 10:47 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
UberX is their "rideshare" service and is along the same lines as Lyft. This is their lower cost option. Uber Black you would be in a towncar, audi a6, mercedes e or s class etc and is higher priced. With that said I took Uber black in Vancouver when it was here and it ended up being the exact same as a taxi ride. Their minimum IIRC was around 12 bucks and point to point in downtown vancouver never really went over the minimum. A taxi with a 2 buck tip would be about the same. Which would you pick? I use uber when I am in seattle and would use it in any other city where it exists. Uber black is a great service.

I dont understand why the taxi companies don't just avail themselves of uber's infrastructure like they did in NYC.
Huh I see. Well, currently I only take taxi here in the morning when I am super late for work and am rushing out, haha. Costs me roughly $9-10 depending on the traffic. So a $12 minimum charge seems to be more expensive. I would hope for a lower price one like UberX then if it works like a taxi. Never used Lyft before so I have no idea how that rideshare works. I'll google about it now

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Huh I see. Well, currently I only take taxi here in the morning when I am super late for work and am rushing out, haha. Costs me roughly $9-10 depending on the traffic. So a $12 minimum charge seems to be more expensive. I would hope for a lower price one like UberX then if it works like a taxi. Never used Lyft before so I have no idea how that rideshare works. I'll google about it now
Here is a good indication... scroll down and it shows you the various fares for Seattle...

https://www.uber.com/cities/seattle

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:37 PM

I highly encourage everyone to read Benn Proctor's master's thesis on the Vancouver taxi industry to understand just how corrupt the current system is, especially re: new taxi companies being unable to enter the market and the artificially inflated cost of the taxi permits. The money lost by the city by selling these permits for $100 instead of market value could pay for many of the planned transit improvements and social programs.....let ALONE the further choice for the public via services like Uber and Lyft.

It's a LONG read, but very informative. It really spells out the current situation and the large amount of challenges faced by the public to change the current system.

Assessing and Reforming Vancouver's Taxi Regulations by Benn Proctor.
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/14007

Direct PDF download here.
http://summit.sfu.ca/system/files/iritems1/14007/etd8329_BProctor.pdf

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:14 PM

I can't wait to see who gets the lions share of the taxi money when the official election finance documents are released.

NYC Auctions off Tax medallions and they fetch over a million a piece.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...llions-at-risk

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:20 AM
SkyTrain Nut

The rumor is that Uber will be online starting tomorrow.

Here]s a source on that.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:45 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Here is a good indication... scroll down and it shows you the various fares for Seattle...

https://www.uber.com/cities/seattle
Nice... put in random addresses in Seattle downtown that's roughly the same distance as I'd travel in my commute. UberX say it's $5-7. That'd be brilliant to have here !

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
The rumor is that Uber will be online starting tomorrow.

Here]s a source on that.
Global News "Will Uber Come to Vancouver on Halloween?"

I saw the Global piece earlier today. There is some suggestion that they might charge nothing, "What they’ve done as a marketing tactic in some places is start without collecting a fare. If you don’t collect a fare, you’re not a taxi, you’re just collecting a ride."

On the other hand the fines are rather steep.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacmac View Post
I highly encourage everyone to read Benn Proctor's master's thesis on the Vancouver taxi industry to understand just how corrupt the current system is, especially re: new taxi companies being unable to enter the market and the artificially inflated cost of the taxi permits. The money lost by the city by selling these permits for $100 instead of market value could pay for many of the planned transit improvements and social programs.....let ALONE the further choice for the public via services like Uber and Lyft.

It's a LONG read, but very informative. It really spells out the current situation and the large amount of challenges faced by the public to change the current system.

Assessing and Reforming Vancouver's Taxi Regulations by Benn Proctor.
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/14007

Direct PDF download here.
http://summit.sfu.ca/system/files/iritems1/14007/etd8329_BProctor.pdf
Wow. Buy a license for $100, raise the price to $300,000 and rent it out to poor immigrant works who take all the risk of operating your business. Just amazing. That industry needs to be deregulated.

The nonsense of taxi licensed in Richmond only being able to take passengers from Richmond to Vancouver but not back out due to the permitting structure does demonstrate an environmentally irresponsible municipal government structure.

Uber is clearly a positive move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure