HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 2:49 AM

Not really the right thread, but...

This was posted over at Urban Toronto regarding new Concord CityPlace towers.

Is there an equivalent in BC? If glass walls are limited to 40% vision glass, then we'll be seeing more spandrel.

The King George Station report had suggested that a 40% figure was required / requested, but the developer stopped at 50%, with sun shading from balconies making up the difference.

Quote:
Condominiums within Concord CityPlace are known for their floor-to-ceiling glass windows, which provide great views, but are not ideal insulators. In January 2012, Ontario's new Building Code went into effect. The new OBC legally binds developments, including condominiums, to a strict set of energy efficiency standards outlined in ASHRAE 90.1-2010. Following the prescriptive path, no more than 40% of the building can be vision glass, a significant departure from the current average window-to-wall ratio of 70%. The performance path provides an alternative, which many developers will likely seek, that requires extensive energy modelling to meet prescribed energy savings targets. Glazing will still be allowed, though its quality and energy performance will have to meet these new rules. This development will be one of the first major projects to go through these rigorous new tests.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/12/...mation-session

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 4:30 AM

^^^^
The tower portion of the City Place project looks interesting. The article suggests those are glass panels. It would be nice to see some creative use of colour for spandrel on Vancouver towers.

Quote:
one of the most recognizable features of the development is its public art contribution. Traditionally, public art is situated on the ground, unattached to the tower. This proposal aims to integrate the art by running panels along each indented corner. The proposed artworks would travel from the podium to the mechanical section of both towers, making it visible not just from up close, but from across the city. Though the panels are not currently intended to be illuminated, the type of material used may help ensure the artwork catches any available surrounding light. The exact nature of the artwork has not yet been decided, but the renderings clearly show the potential impact it would have on the design of the tower as a whole. Public Art Management, led by Karen and Ben Mills, will be the responsible consulting firm for the project.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 5:48 AM

If you want to avoid cutting your feet on broken glass, avoid walking barefoot on broken glass.
Excuse me, I don't intend to come across as snide, I'm just metaphorically stating that there exists a capacity called CHOICE.
If we don't like green glass curtain walls, we can use other materials.
Oustanding is the example of I.M.Pei's originally planned Pacific Centre tower.
Old hat, perhaps, but it was to have been made principally of stone.
I guess I'm just sayig that there are other building materials, and we can use 'em if we want to.
Simplistic, perhaps, but to the point, and that's simply what I'm trying for. Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:50 PM

This article from today's G&M doesn't specifically mentions curtain wall, but brings up a troubling trend of condo corporations increasingly having a hard time finding insurance due to water and other issues:

Rising claims for water damage in condo buildings and inadequate regulation have led insurance companies to refuse new clients or demand higher premiums for coverage, adding fuel to concerns about quality in Canada’s fastest-growing housing segment....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23763210/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues