HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:15 PM
Skyriser

I will kinda miss that tiny modernist building on the corner. It would have been nice if they could have incorporated it. I can't believe that lot sold for $1 million.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:32 PM

With the ASU Dorm on the south and new NAC housing to the West, wonder if this puts some pressure on the Circle K lot to either clean up or just sell. Such a freaking eyesore and the riff raff it attracts.

Does anyone know who owns/uses that gated parking lot just north of the Circle K? Another piece of land ripe for development...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:36 PM

That's long been owned by the same guys who own Westward Ho, it's overflow parking. Obviously not used.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:34 PM
Skyriser

^ It's funny that we mention the riff-raff. I remember that Circle K in 2006 when I lived nearby and I would be one of the only ones there on a weekend. Years later it was the busiest in the state, and I imagine it's gotten even busier.

I hope HUD funding is restored, beefened, and roofs can appear over these poor peoples' heads. The response to homelessness is a disgrace on this country.

I imagine when Downtown warrants it, someone hunting for opportunities to build will partner with the Ho owners and develop/redevelop their properties.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ It's funny that we mention the riff-raff. I remember that Circle K in 2006 when I lived nearby and I would be one of the only ones there on a weekend. Years later it was the busiest in the state, and I imagine it's gotten even busier.

I hope HUD funding is restored, beefened, and roofs can appear over these poor peoples' heads. The response to homelessness is a disgrace on this country.

I imagine when Downtown warrants it, someone hunting for opportunities to build will partner with the Ho owners and develop/redevelop their properties.
I can't imagine how it's the busiest in the state. Never would've guessed... However, yes, let's fix homelessness and all that good stuff...bla bla bla

The riff raff i'm specifically referring to is the constant loitering, trash, empty beer cans/40 oz bottles, needles/drug usage in the immediate vicinity, and people harassing ASU female students as they walk by to/from the Fillmore parking lot. These individuals aren't your typical homeless/panhandling ones. I see this every AM/PM as I walk to work. It's gotten so bad I always see Phoenix PD posted in that alley.

Anyways, wish we could blow up all the Circle Ks and replace them with QTs lol

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 12:02 AM

Homelessness wont be fixed until we bring back insane asylums.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:22 AM

Homelessness isn't fixed my insane asylums, homelessness is fixed by appropriate social services and a culture that cares.

Even countries like Japan which has an incredibly low homelessness the issue still exists.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:31 PM

FWIW, I was glad when they tore down the properties to clear way for ASU housing. They were basically toilets (or smelled like it). I would love it if they got rid of that Circle K as well. Replace it with housing, or, God forbid, a restaurant that students might go to (or maybe a local watering hole like Gracie's).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Homelessness isn't fixed my insane asylums, homelessness is fixed by appropriate social services and a culture that cares.

Even countries like Japan which has an incredibly low homelessness the issue still exists.
Insane asylums are a social services, they were built to house the people that we now call homeless. The ones that are incapable of taking care of themselves and live on the streets. There are plenty of social services private and public for them but they are incapable or unwilling to take advantage of them.

Back in the day the state had the power to put them into protective custody, the no longer exists. Or at the very least has been greatly diminished and now they live on the street.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Here's the renderings. Looks pretty tall. Roughly the height of Westward Ho which is 208'. Really going to be a good addition with Stewart and the upcoming Aspire in the adjacent area.

Not sure if I am the biggest fan of this design, the windows seem a little sparse.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 5:06 PM

I think what you mean to say is better and more accessible shelters. Even with those, there will always be people who prefer to be homeless, the only way to stop that is to provide better mental health services from the start.

"Insane asylum" is an out dated term that today is used to refer to the mentally ill who need constant care and contact. This is not how homelessness is defined.

Anyway, this conversation doesn't really fit here.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 6:51 AM

That has to be the ugliest building I've ever seen! What a shame cause that's a great spot over looking the park! The should have made it thinner and taller and but on that spot next too the law building.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:53 PM

I agree. It looks very uninviting. Needs some color. Bigger windows...... something that attracts the eye in a positive way.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:39 PM

I kind of like it, reminds me of the red cliffs of canyon de chelle.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
That has to be the ugliest building I've ever seen! What a shame cause that's a great spot over looking the park! The should have made it thinner and taller and but on that spot next too the law building.
New Thunderbird building is already going there. I like the design of the dorm...will look awesome in that corner

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 5:01 PM

Studio Ma also renovated Manzanita in Tempe, which turned out awesome. I like the design

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 9:55 PM

Add Another Crane to the List...

Behind a paywall but Thunderbird School of Management is up next!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...f-land-to.html
Quote:
A groundbreaking ceremony for that five-story structure is scheduled Oct. 7. It will be built next to ASU's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law building

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 2:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Behind a paywall but Thunderbird School of Management is up next!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...f-land-to.html
Here ya go. Groundbreaking ceremony Monday

Quote:
Arizona State University has sold a 20-acre parcel of land in Phoenix to a Scottsdale-based developer for $14.2 million, according to Vizzda LLC real estate database.

The land currently houses 14 buildings totaling 129,263 square feet that previously was occupied by Arizona Christian University.

The money ASU received from Scottsdale-based Treger Financial will be used to invest into Thunderbird's new building that will be built at ASU's downtown Phoenix campus, said Katie Paquet, spokeswoman for ASU.

Treger Financial officials told the Business Journal they intend to build apartments on the 20-acre site after tearing down most of the existing buildings.

This transaction comes a year after ASU and Arizona Christian University swapped landvalued at $8.5 million.

In that land swap, ASU got the Christian university's parcel at 26th Street and Cactus Road, while Arizona Christian University took 68 acres of ASU's Thunderbird School of Global Management former 148-acre campus in Glendale.

A groundbreaking ceremony for that five-story structure is scheduled Oct. 7. It will be built next to ASU's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law building.

ASU originally acquired Thunderbird in 2015,and by December 2017 announced plans to vacate that campus and build a new school at ASU's downtown Phoenix campus.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:14 PM

'Tis Official

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...rters-for.html

Quote:
Arizona State University was set to break ground Monday on the new global headquarters for its Thunderbird School of Global Management.

The $67 million project is being financed by $30 million in cash and $37 million of system revenue bonds.

Some cash is coming from a 20-acre parcel ASU sold for $14.2 million last week to a Scottsdale-based multifamily project developer.

ASU President Michael Crow likes to think of Thunderbird as ASU's global leadership academy.

"More than 70 years ago, Phoenix nurtured, built and sustained one of the most important schools for global management in the world," Crow told the Business Journal. "It graduated 40,000 people who have gone on to be presidents of major corporations, global corporations, ministers, presidents of countries. It's a powerful school that produced these global leaders."
Rather than use the old U.S. Army Air Corps base in Glendale as its home, ASU moved Thunderbird's global headquarters to its downtown Phoenix campus.

Plans call for building five stories spanning 112,000 square feet between First and Second Streets, just north of Polk, next to ASU's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law.

The land is owned by the city of Phoenix, which is contributing more than $13 million toward construction costs.

There is no state funding being used to build the project, Crow said.

"The city of Phoenix is a partner in everything we're doing in downtown Phoenix," Crow said. "They're our lifelong partner. We're like an old married couple at this point, making stuff happen. This is one of our children."

The architect team is Scottsdale-based Jones Studio Inc. and Santa Monica, California-based Moore Ruble Yudell Architect & Planners, while Salt Lake City-based Okland Construction is the general contractor.

Construction is expected to be completed in the fall semester of 2021, which also is when Thunderbird will celebrate its 75th anniversary.

Thunderbird merged with ASU in 2015 at a time when it was suffering financially.

"We're excited to be able to merge Thunderbird into ASU, yet keep its own separate identity," Crow said. "We're happy to be able to take the work of the founders — the locals here in metro Phoenix — that got this thing going. We're keeping it alive."

Thunderbird's total enrollment is approaching 1,000 students.

"Our goal is to have 500 master's students on campus, thousands of students online and a couple thousand undergraduates on our West Campus in the undergraduate program," Crow said.

ASU's West Campus at the southwest corner of Thunderbird Road and 43rd Avenue in Glendale has plenty of expansion room, but Crow said Thunderbird's global headquarters is best suited for an urban setting surrounded by hotels, convention centers and amenities.

Sanjeev Khagram, dean and director general of Thunderbird, said growing enrollment is his top priority.

While the global headquarters kicks off construction, Khagram has been busy establishing centers of excellence around the world.

"We are ramping up to 20 of these centers around the world," he said.

Since joining Thunderbird nearly 16 months ago, Khagram has opened seven of these centers across the globe.

In addition to growing enrollment for traditional bachelor's and master's students, Khagram also plans to beef up Thunderbird's executive education programs, where working adults take classes on weekends.

"We can deliver it anywhere in the world with this growing set of mentors around the world," he said. "If you're a global company, you can have us deliver your program virtually on every continent around the world. We can deliver it in different styles from face-to-face or we can come to you or you can come to us or completely online."

With about 30 professors, Khagram also plans to grow Thunderbird's faculty.

"We have added five or six new faculty since i arrived," he said. "We're looking to do it again as part of deep integration with ASU joint hiring with our sister schools across the university."

Thunderbird is thriving, he said.

"This would not have been possible without the incredible support of ASU and President Crow and his vision," Khagram said. "We just think the sky is the limit."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:47 AM

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...=ReviveOldPost

Let the filling of the Wexford building begin! Great for downtown, great for the area! I beleive that leaves 1 foor left to be leased. Ground floor is “activated”, floors 2-3 are ASU, 4 is unclaimed, and 5-7 now Transwestern.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest