HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Future off-road bike park Gateway Green acquired by City of Portland

A key step toward making Gateway Green a reality was taken today when Portland City Council voted unanimously to authorize a land transfer from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT). Portland is now the official owner of the 25 acre property that’s slated to become what Portland Parks & Recreation referred to today as an “off-road biking facility.”

The City of Portland acquired the land from ODOT for $19,300, money they received from developers via System Development Charges (SDCs).
...continues at BikePortland.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Gateway in 5-7 years will be a very nice neighborhood. It's improved a lot plus they have some key open land next to the gateway max stop that's oozing with potential as well

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:20 PM

It seems like it ought to be, but I have to say that the area around the MAX stop has been oozing with potential for a very long time. Like, 20 years.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:24 AM

Peaking up over the wall next to the freeway, this building is called the Rose apartments. With google satellite image updated recently, you can see it will be pretty enormous. Here's an article.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:43 AM

Another one in Gateway on 102nd. This one would be ginormous. Hazelwood Plaza

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Another one in Gateway on 102nd. This one would be ginormous. Hazelwood Plaza
I've been wondering what was going to go in there. Right now it's just a fenced off empty lot. The city recently re-paved all of the sidewalks and replaced street lights with those "historic" looking ones. We just bought a mid-century ranch 3 blocks away on 105th so I'm hoping more development fills in along the corridor streets in the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 6:55 AM

Gateway seems like such a great area for redevelopment, but it just keeps getting delayed for various reasons. Maybe we're finally at the point where it will happen.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
I've been wondering what was going to go in there. Right now it's just a fenced off empty lot. The city recently re-paved all of the sidewalks and replaced street lights with those "historic" looking ones. We just bought a mid-century ranch 3 blocks away on 105th so I'm hoping more development fills in along the corridor streets in the next few years.
Keep in mind these articles were written some time ago, a year I think. Does PDC own the lot on 102nd and Pacific? It is sometimes baffling why Gateway has stagnated so long. 3 MAX lines, Fred Meyer, and now two parks going in next year.

I guess in my uninformed theory of how places become named, there needs to be an identity or walking street. Gateway doesn't have that. When new apartment buildings jump in they can sometimes replace existing businesses. Perhaps an incentive for existing businesses to move into new buildings might work? Making 102nd a walking street would necessitate the replacement of some existing buildings. Perhaps another idea would be to create a Mercado like on Foster, or a cart pod area? 102nd and Pacific seems like a fantastic candidate for these.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:14 PM

There is actually a really great cart pod on 102nd & Stark. We eat there all the time. Not the most glamorous of cart pods but there is some great food and often a line at the thai cart during lunch and dinner hours.

I think the biggest barrier to making 102nd a "walking street" is that since housing is so spread out, people need to drive to get there and there's nowhere to park. So if a building with retail goes in, they're going to need to add public parking as well. The couplet of Halsey & Weidler seems like a natural place for pedestrian focused retail. Still need parking though...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 10:00 PM

Posting Notice [PDF] for Hazelwood Plaza, a 5-story building with 62 apartments on NE 102nd.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 1:28 AM

Staff report [PDF] for Hazelwood Plaza, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
There is actually a really great cart pod on 102nd & Stark. We eat there all the time. Not the most glamorous of cart pods but there is some great food and often a line at the thai cart during lunch and dinner hours.

I think the biggest barrier to making 102nd a "walking street" is that since housing is so spread out, people need to drive to get there and there's nowhere to park. So if a building with retail goes in, they're going to need to add public parking as well. The couplet of Halsey & Weidler seems like a natural place for pedestrian focused retail. Still need parking though...
Dare I suggest a road diet from Glisan to Burnside. Instant parking/pedestrian safety all along that stretch.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Dare I suggest a road diet from Glisan to Burnside. Instant parking/pedestrian safety all along that stretch.
I would fully support removing a lane in each direction on 102nd, but with the amount of traffic I see every day on that road, I don't know if it's realistic.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:13 PM

On the City Council agenda this week:

Quote:
Portland Parks & Recreation
*137 Authorize a contract with 2.ink Studio to provide planning, design and construction administration services for improvements to Beech Park at a not to exceed amount of $674,428 (Ordinance) 10 minutes requested

*139 Authorize a contract with PLACE studio LLC to provide planning, design and construction observation services for Gateway Park for a not to exceed amount of $708,585 (Ordinance)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 7:52 PM

Design Advice has been requested for 10506 E Burnside:

Quote:
5 story 50 + unit apartment complex EA15-118947 PC

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:
First tenants move into Gilman Court April 15

Work crews will wrap up construction on Gilman Court by April 7, with the first tenants expected to move into their new apartments on April 15, according to Laura Recko, public relations director for REACH Community Development Corporation, the nonprofit that owns and developed the building.

The 60-unit building for low-income seniors 55 or over at 610 N.E. 99th Ave. had received about 65 rental applications by mid-March, Recko said. REACH staffers plan to stop accepting applications after they have received 150.

R & H Colas Construction Company’s work on the six-story building was about 90 percent complete by mid-March. Recko was confident workers would finish by their April 7 deadline.
...continues at the Mid County Memo.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Transit-focused development trend continues as Gateway apartments ready for move-in

Metro's Transit-Oriented Development Program officially added 90 more apartment units to its mix today with the grand opening of the Rose, a four-story development in the Gateway District of Northeast Portland.

Located at the corner of Northeast 97th Street and Everett Place, the two-building development offers a mix of market-rate and income-restricted units, 20 percent of which were pre-leased. It was designed by architect Craig Monaghan, and Gordon Jones was the developer.

Metro's Transit-Oriented Development Program contributed $500,000 to the $10.5 million construction cost, plus $40,000 for a plaza.The program aims to stimulate private and public investment by helping to offset some of the costs of higher-density, mixed-use projects served by transit. The Rose is located close to a MAX light-rail stop.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 6:34 AM
BANNED

Gateway is going to be booming in the next few years

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Gateway is going to be booming in the next few years
Hopefully more jobs end up out there.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:31 PM
A before E

At least they are kind of trying with Gateway, it will be interesting to see what that area could look like in the future. Though I do worry we will end up with a half assed district of buildings that look kind of urban but don't actually follow through with making the district more walkable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland