HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

World Product Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 11:40 PM

So the skyscraper is scrapped?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 12:52 AM
DENNAB

Why build a much smaller building? Why not just wait till things get better or until there is office demand in New York City again?

editado por zapatan

Last edited by Zapatan; Dec 15, 2009 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 2:29 AM

damn it this was like definitely one of the best skyscrapers in years has been proposed in nyc.
So there is no chances that it might get build or is it going to go through same process as Tower Verre.
damn i can't believe it. This is one of coolest buildings I've seen in years

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:46 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Going back to the subject at hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
So basically a much smaller building?
Quote:
John Strong, president and CEO of World Product Centre, told NashvillePost.com that developers have scrapped their plans to build the proposed 60-story, $1 billion medical mart in Midtown Manhattan in favor of repurposing existing Class A office space there.
They are not going to be building a radically scaled back proposal; they're going to remodel existing space so they can open sooner. Are there any 300,000sf blocks of office space for rent out there?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:55 AM
Landmark Restored

Yes. Manhattan office vacancy is 11.1% during the most recent quarter, its projected to go higher.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Going back to the subject at hand...

They are not going to be building a radically scaled back proposal; they're going to remodel existing space so they can open sooner. Are there any 300,000sf blocks of office space for rent out there?
If we take the comments at face value, they will be first leasing out space in an existing Extell office tower.

Extell owns the site, and has full development rights, but obviously cannot proceed on a tower unless it receives financing.

Right now, while the markets are improving, we are unfortunately not at the point where large office towers can be financed.

If they're aiming at 2013 for temporary medical space, that should be plenty of time for the markets to recover, and we can see what happens.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:48 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
If we take the comments at face value, they will be first leasing out space in an existing Extell office tower.

Extell owns the site, and has full development rights, but obviously cannot proceed on a tower unless it receives financing.

Right now, while the markets are improving, we are unfortunately not at the point where large office towers can be financed.

If they're aiming at 2013 for temporary medical space, that should be plenty of time for the markets to recover, and we can see what happens.
It seems like Strong would still like to build out the full WPC eventually should the smaller version prove successful.
Unless I'm just being ridiculously optimistic.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:53 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
It seems like Strong would still like to build out the full WPC eventually should the smaller version prove successful.
Unless I'm just being ridiculously optimistic.

You mean build it on top of it? Or are there two sites? Sorry for the silly question.

That sounds unrealistically optimistic.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:21 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
You mean build it on top of it? Or are there two sites? Sorry for the silly question.

That sounds unrealistically optimistic.
I meant 555 W33rd as a second site. Initially, Strong is not going to build any new space; just rent existing space. I was wondering if that didn't preclude him building the full WPC at a later date. I know, wishful thinking.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

here we go, another victim due to the recession. we can only hope that the site remains 'good enough' to invest in. maybe in two, three years we see another proposal which could be higher than this one. pretty sad, i mean we only have one supertall U/C at the moment. god knows what will happen to tower verre if the economy doesn't catch up in time; and also don't forget: there's no financing available for this tower. at least 157 west 57th street seems promising, they should start construction this january according to the permit nyguy posted in the other thread.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 11:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
So basically a much smaller building?
No, according to that piece, a smaller WPC will now open elsewhere in Manhattan in an existing buildng, provided they find the space (and they should). That leaves the specific proposal for this site canceled, or at least on hold for now. Remember, the WPC was planned to open Downtown somewhere near the WTC and was put on hold after 9/11. Apparently the commited companies don't want to sit around and wait for a tower to get built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
No, according to that piece, a smaller WPC will now open elsewhere in Manhattan in an existing buildng, provided they find the space (and they should). That leaves the specific proposal for this site canceled, or at least on hold for now. Remember, the WPC was planned to open Downtown somewhere near the WTC and was put on hold after 9/11. Apparently the commited companies don't want to sit around and wait for a tower to get built.
So there are still chances for 1000 footer to get build? Because reading previous post by members of this forum it looks like they don't even know what they talking about.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
here we go, another victim due to the recession. we can only hope that the site remains 'good enough' to invest in. maybe in two, three years we see another proposal which could be higher than this one.
Don't worry about this site. Other than this tower not being built as currently proposed, the info from that article is actually good news as far as the World Product Center itself goes. It will indeed open in Manhattan, regardless of whatever happens with similar developments in other cities. AS far as this site goes, Extell will still develop the site, which jumps to the top of the list for office development in Manhattan (don't forget that the subway station will still open in 2013).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktown718 View Post
So there are still chances for 1000 footer to get build? Because reading previous post by members of this forum it looks like they don't even know what they talking about.
It's zoned for an office tower, one of the largest in Hudson Yards. Extell hasn't been known to shy away from taller proposals, but it remains to be seen what design will take the place of the current tower. I'm guessing they will stick with the same architects, and the tower could in fact end up looking very much like the proposal we have. However, that's all just speculation. And it's not certain yet that the WPC won't eventually move there. It hasn't even been confirmed yet that the tower is canceled, though I suspect if may be.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 12:41 AM
DENNAB

That's all well and good but the article stated they "scrapped" their plans. My question is, why scrap their plans when they can just put the tower on hold? It would obviously be a great financial addition and landmark to the city, so why scrap it?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 1:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That's all well and good but the article stated they "scrapped" their plans. My question is, why scrap their plans when they can just put the tower on hold? It would obviously be a great financial addition and landmark to the city, so why scrap it?
If you are going to read part of it, read all of it...

Quote:
“The advantages are we can deliver in 18 months and be considerably less expensive for our tenants,” Strong said.

If Strong and developer Extell Construction Corp. secure the new location within the next 60 days, as Strong expects, an 18-month timeline would put a WPC opening far ahead of the 2013 date projected for both the Nashville Medical Trade Center and Cleveland Medical Mart.
Extell has plans to develop an office tower on the site. If the World Product Center is going to be elsewhere, they are not going to put plans for development here on ice.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 3:10 AM

I remain optimistic. I think Mr. Strong and WPC understood with the competition from Nashville and Cleveland it was more important to be "first" with the Medical Mart rather than adhering to a grandoise plan.

If it was NYC alone trying to open a Medical Mart the plans might remain as originally intended with financing being the only significant hurdle.

A smart move to go forward with the commitments you have and secure financing that aligned with the level of support.

Now, in the short term we may not get the skyline altering supertall skyscraper we all drool over, but, by securing NYC place in the whole Medical Mart arena, and, if it is successful, I am sure the demand from the healthcare industry will create further development and perhaps the supertall we all been expecting.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 3:53 AM
Landmark Restored

In this economic climate if Extell does anything its going to be on its super-prime sites. The two sites on 57th and its Riverside South site. They've already ceded control of its Highline site to its lenders. This project is one for the next boom.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 3:58 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If you are going to read part of it, read all of it...

Extell has plans to develop an office tower on the site. If the World Product Center is going to be elsewhere, they are not going to put plans for development here on ice.

I did, yes they need space sooner. But instead of cancel this building why not just open up the existing office space and put this tower on hold. I don't see why that's not the better option.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 4:41 AM

Quote:
I did, yes they need space sooner. But instead of cancel this building why not just open up the existing office space and put this tower on hold. I don't see why that's not the better option.
Lmao dude you asked the same question about 4 times already and still don't get it. How about you via email WPC or who ever is running this project and then share their answer with us

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 5:55 AM
DENNAB

I wasn't asking anyone here, it was retorical

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects