HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
1. I've noticed that City of Calgary is now reporting social disorder and physical disorder and no longer mischief in the community statistics. Not sure why the change was made...

2. Wondering how City of Calgary handles Ubu Lounge owners (brawl) or Ice N Fire (shooting). If community associations could nominate problem businesses to reduce operating hours perhaps this could help mitigate some of these issues. Does the City of Calgary have an "enforcement ladder" for business owners when high frequency or high severity issues arise?
Something like this, perhaps?
http://bestbarnone.ab.ca/news/calgary.aspx

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
2. Wondering how City of Calgary handles Ubu Lounge owners (brawl) or Ice N Fire (shooting). If community associations could nominate problem businesses to reduce operating hours perhaps this could help mitigate some of these issues. Does the City of Calgary have an "enforcement ladder" for business owners when high frequency or high severity issues arise?
Not really, but they should. Currently 'enforcement' is done through development and planning processes rather then business license processes, meaning there really isn't any enforcement possible once somethings open. I know the Beltline Community Association and others have pushed in the past for bars and licensed restaurants to need an annual review by police, EMS, bylaw, etc that if those stakeholders say 'no go' then the business license is revoked until the business can demonstrate plans to resolve whatever the issue is. The city tried to go down that road in the past year, but in a kind of weak almost voluntary way. Plus programs like BestBarNone mentioned above do exist, but are voluntary as well.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:52 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Small cities in Alberta are SO unsafe. Drug bust after drug bust.......shootouts, triple murders.......RCMP double murders. Dont raise your kids in these small towns. SO unsafe!!!!

I swear, whenever a violent incident that occurred in a small town is reported on the news, the news-desk manager must be saying "Quick, get some people to say they are surprised it happened there, because its such a small community." Seems to be a required part of any tv-news story.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:53 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Not really, but they should. Currently 'enforcement' is done through development and planning processes rather then business license processes, meaning there really isn't any enforcement possible once somethings open. I know the Beltline Community Association and others have pushed in the past for bars and licensed restaurants to need an annual review by police, EMS, bylaw, etc that if those stakeholders say 'no go' then the business license is revoked until the business can demonstrate plans to resolve whatever the issue is. The city tried to go down that road in the past year, but in a kind of weak almost voluntary way. Plus programs like BestBarNone mentioned above do exist, but are voluntary as well.
I don't see the point of a voluntary program.

This article says a dozen licensed establishments were shut down in the first half of 2011:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...833/story.html

Do you know where I can find this list?

I don't know if a comprehensive review is required for all licensed restaurants... Maybe anything that receives a threshold number of social disorder calls in a surrounding 4 block radius. If you fall into the bottom 10% for complaints, then a comprehensive review is required, and possibilities of trimmed business hours or in worst cases removal of licence.

One would think some sort of GIS geek could figure this out.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Doesn't matter where they are born, it is where the acts themselves take place that Suburbia is highlighting.

Maybe a very stretched analogy to this is as follows: American soldiers are having (had) some brutal battles in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, since the soldiers were born in the US, the US must be the dangerous place?

Look, I am not trying to say the inner city is a dangerous place (I live and work in it, and never feel threatened). Suburbia is just providing articles and facts about incidents that are quite troubling that take place here. Yes, they happen in the suburbs too, so why not post those articles too if you feel the need to make sure there is balance. It is not up to suburbia to do it all, and if you do think it is all up to him, don't be disappointed with whatever spin he puts on it.

You're analogy is very stretched. Better point would have been to say that the US raises some fucked up people which go to other areas and be violent. That is what I'm implying about suburban spawn.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I am not sure what legal mechanism the city and police are using, but they can and certainly have shut down businesses after too many "social disorder" events and criminal activity. The Cecil was shut down (temporarily? I can't remember) before it was purchased, and I know they shut down the bar that was Here as it was basically just being used to sell drugs.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:01 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
I am not sure what legal mechanism the city and police are using, but they can and certainly have shut down businesses after too many "social disorder" events and criminal activity. The Cecil was shut down (temporarily? I can't remember) before it was purchased, and I know they shut down the bar that was Here as it was basically just being used to sell drugs.
The issue is that the process isn't straight forward, rather it takes a fair bit of time for police and the city when a business license comes up for review (not sure how many years they are good for) and because they only come up for review at certain intervals it can take a while to get something shut down. (i.e. Savory Lodge)

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
You're analogy is very stretched. Better point would have been to say that the US raises some fucked up people which go to other areas and be violent. That is what I'm implying about suburban spawn.
Doesn't change the fact that the other areas are the violent areas, which is what suburbia is trying to point out.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:27 PM
Here and There

More violent crime out in the burbs. Not enough people around I guess. Seems like an easy target.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/barte...761/story.html

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
More violent crime out in the burbs. Not enough people around I guess.
Yeah. In some parts of the city it would have quickly turned into a 100 person brawl!

Joking aside ... here is an update on vicious attack on the family man carrying groceries in the beltline:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...667/story.html

Quote:
Police have said John Fernando Herrera was walking home with groceries late Wednesday night in the 1500 block of 6th Street S.W. when he was attacked.

His son, Luis Herrera, told a Colombian radio station that the assailants targeted the man’s head and left him with facial fractures.

He was taken to hospital in grave, life-threatening condition. Police say his condition hasn’t changed.
What a shame. Random violent attack that has crushed a family and might take this poor guys life. THAT will keep families from living in the core. Quite different from someone steeling a few bucks from a corner bar. It is when the garbage gets out into the street and targets society at large where it becomes difficult to digest.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:02 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Yeah. In some parts of the city it would have quickly turned into a 100 person brawl!

Joking aside ... here is an update on vicious attack on the family man carrying groceries in the beltline:

What a shame. Random violent attack that has crushed a family and might take this poor guys life. THAT will keep families from living in the core. Quite different from someone steeling a few bucks from a corner bar. It is when the garbage gets out into the street and targets society at large where it becomes difficult to digest.
Meet Garrett Smith, Jarod Henry and Chantelle Campbell. Investigators executed search warrants on a vehicle and two homes in the community of Huntington Hills, which led to the arrests.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-beltline.html

Obvious douche bags, obviously.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 9:37 PM
Here and There

Screw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:24 AM
Here and There

Beat you to it.

Stand off with guns right next to my condo. Don't move down here if you are weary and weak.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
not a NIMBY

There was a sexual assault on my normally quiet cul de sac this morning. The police were here for about 5 hours. A female was taken to hospital.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:58 AM
BANNED

Multiple sexual assaults in the inner city South of the core:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...stigation.html

Seems walking about is a dangerous activity!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 9:37 PM
not a NIMBY

Apparently the girl who was sexually assaulted outside my apartment building was heard screaming for help at 3 different times during the night and no one phoned the police.
The assault happened by the townhouses' swimming pool.
I'm on the other side of the building so I didn't hear anything.
Our building's video surveillance showed a man coming out of the bushes at the front of our building at 630 am. The police were called at 642 am by the victim. One of the other apartment buildings has video showing the license plate of the only vehicle to leave the cul de sac during the early morning hours. All the video has been turned over to the police. We have more cameras in and around our building than the residents know about.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Apparently the girl who was sexually assaulted outside my apartment building was heard screaming for help at 3 different times during the night and no one phoned the police.
Unbelievable!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:20 PM

If I heard a girl screaming for help I would call the cops and probably go check it out. How people can hear that and not think anything of it is beyond me.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 11:08 PM

Wow amazing, reminds me of Sociology 201 and the bystander effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

You wouldn't think something like that would happen here, but then again I think of how many times I hear drunks screaming outside my window at night on the weekend and think nothing of it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
You wouldn't think something like that would happen here, but then again I think of how many times I hear drunks screaming outside my window at night on the weekend and think nothing of it.
I guess it all depends on where you live. I know some people who live extremely close to the airport and don't here the planes. I know someone in one of those condos immediately by the train tracks in Inglewood and they don't hear (or feel) the trains. In my area, I really don't have any disruptive sounds, so if I heard "drunks screaming outside my window" it would certainly catch attention. I'm guessing you live inner city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy