HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 8:51 PM

And the Kings never signed a community benefit agreement!

Of course they just do things for the community without an agreement. But I'm sure it's just fluff things they do, right?
  • $100,000 to literacy efforts in Sacramento, including Sac Reads, United Way, Sacramento County Office of Education and your Sacramento Public Library.
  • Blood drives, food drives, shoe drives, glasses drives, toy drives, pajama drives, etc. all benefiting area foster kids.
  • Hosting the RHYTHM 'N RIMS community event that raised money for local charities.
  • Priority Apprenticeship Program to focus on recruiting and training disadvantaged and high need youth.
  • 5.5 million to arts programs around the arena. Working with Sacramento Metro Arts Commission.
  • Kings pledged $864,000 going to go into the Affordable Housing Trust to be used to support families and their affordable housing needs. Even though the arena project itself is not displacing any housing.

I could go on here, but I think I made my point about being involved and benefiting the community.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post

Of course they just do things for the community without an agreement. But I'm sure it's just fluff things they do, right?
  • $100,000 to literacy efforts in Sacramento, including Sac Reads, United Way, Sacramento County Office of Education and your Sacramento Public Library.
  • Blood drives, food drives, shoe drives, glasses drives, toy drives, pajama drives, etc. all benefiting area foster kids.
  • Hosting the RHYTHM 'N RIMS community event that raised money for local charities.
  • Priority Apprenticeship Program to focus on recruiting and training disadvantaged and high need youth.
  • 5.5 million to arts programs around the arena. Working with Sacramento Metro Arts Commission.
  • Kings pledged $864,000 going to go into the Affordable Housing Trust to be used to support families and their affordable housing needs. Even though the arena project itself is not displacing any housing.

I could go on here, but I think I made my point about being involved and benefiting the community.
But what are they contributing in the "balloon" department?

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
please read the articles about how an arena is not always the panacea its claimed to be.......I still can not believe all the give aways in this deal.....the free billboards and also the free property. Call me whatever but at some point that hole in the ground would develop to something......and most cities it seems are all in recovery mode and building buildings etc the economy is on the riuse from a very deep hole.

Also I am still voting NO on a strong mayor on the ballot this november
Of course it is no panacea. But in this case, the nay-sayers are wrong, and not considering what the real alternative of not doing this deal would be.
What exactly would those billboards be used for otherwise? What would those holes in the ground be doing otherwise? How would those things look if we were to lose even more jobs and city amenities?(Kings leaving, the loss of a major venue)

For everyone griping about the deal and the investment (er, giveaways!), they have no idea of what the negative effect would be of the alternative. On one side you have certain stagnation, on the other you have potential to boost the city into the next couple of decades.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:

Nah, out of sight, out of mind. Arena, arena, arena! Giveaway to billionaires! Fund the pools and the parkway instead!(with what money, who knows?) Rabble rabble!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimmons View Post
I wonder how many lawsuits S.T.O.P. is going to file against this $7million Science Museum Subsidy?
Oh I'm sure they'll be out in full force to STOP this giveaway/tax increase to fund special interest groups!

Sacramento Taxpayers Opposed to Pork*

*Pork = any cause or civic amenity we happen to disagree with, like that bouncy ball game played by those overpaid tall guys.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:20 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
wburg, still with the squeezing balloon metaphor? I guess LA Live retail and restaurants, Grammy Museum, Nokia Theater, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott, condos, etc. got squeezed from somewhere else then? Or places that got renovated like the Holiday Inn that turned into the Luxe City Center?

And none of that existed around the old Forum.

LA Live was part of the overall arena project, not unrelated projects that appeared as a later consequence of the Staples Center's presence.
Looks like they got squeezed from the public purse.

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-10-08/n...rlton-and-aeg/
Quote:
Yet the city has, and is, aggressively pouring money elsewhere. Beginning with a deal signed on October 31, 1997, City Hall lavished millions of dollars in subsidies and tax credits on companies owned by Denver-based billionaire Philip Anschutz to fund the politicians’ downtown dream. City officials forced the poor out of 27 “blighted” acres of downtown around Figueroa Boulevard and replaced the aging neighborhood with lucrative ventures.

Although AEG’s Staples Center/Ritz-Carlton/L.A. Live endeavor will pay increased property taxes and sales taxes thanks to an expected growth in visitors to the area and its upscale hotels, L.A. taxpayers, who have poured so much of their public money into the deals, will not recoup the revenue from the lucrative hotel bed tax for 25 years. Thanks to agreements City Hall made with companies controlled by Anschutz, the 69-year-old recluse will keep pocketing these “bed” taxes — money that would normally flow to city coffers — until he is 95 years old and Villaraigosa and the City Council are long out of office.

A city-solicited study once boasted that taxpayers would reap $1.7 million annually from the bed taxes; in fact, Anschutz will see the first $62 million.

Moreover, instead of requiring the wealthy developer to secure private financing for the 27-acre project encompassing Staples, the Ritz-Carlton and L.A. Live, the city — meaning the Los Angeles public — provided an Anschutz company a $70 million, 25-year loan, which is being repaid on a yearly basis through Staples ticket sales.

Anschutz will not pay off that $70 million loan provided by L.A. taxpayers until 2025, yet public documents filed with the Los Angeles County Recorder’s office reveal that an Anschutz company has already sold off three significant parcels within the project area.

AEG took the revenue from the resale of the three parcels, a transaction allowed by the redevelopment agency, and then the city shifted the planned projects on that land over to new owners. Yet at least one of those key parcels contained lots seized by the Community Redevelopment Agency from a private owner, using the eminent domain statute, purportedly to fight “blight.”

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:42 PM

Wait are you guys still arguing about the downtown arena on this thread? Is it possible to move it (chat) over to the arena thread? There's lots of things happening development wise- just not skyscrapers- yet. Anywho, I need to go out and take some pics and post them so we can talk about those.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Wait are you guys still arguing about the downtown arena on this thread? Is it possible to move it (chat) over to the arena thread? There's lots of things happening development wise- just not skyscrapers- yet. Anywho, I need to go out and take some pics and post them so we can talk about those.
PLEASE DO!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:48 PM
Here we stAy

Ok, how about the uninspiring Creamery project? Anyone willing to send a quick email or go further and speak at the Planning Commission tonight?

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:31 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —Lawmakers are authorizing the state to move the headquarters of the California Board of Equalization out of a Sacramento office tower that has been plagued with problems.

Democratic Assemblyman Roger Dickinson of Sacramento says window glass has fallen from the building, its elevators plummet for no reason, and water often pours into work spaces.

The state has spent $60 million repairing it, but up to $159 million more is needed. Dickinson told the Assembly on Thursday that it's time for the state to "cut our losses, to stop wasting taxpayers' money" and protect the building's 2,200 workers.

Lawmakers approved AB1656 on a 66-0 vote Thursday, sending it to the Senate.

It authorizes the state to start planning for a new headquarters that will consolidate the main office and four satellites.

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/...#ixzz3399Ap8gS

Now the question is, what kind of square feet will be needed since it is 450 Capitol Mall + 4 offices (4,000 employees total). Hopefully it won't be a dreaded sprawlscraper. With the price of land downtown, it will be cheaper to buy up a lot of land and build east end type of buildings.. And since it is the State, the city can't do crap. What a horrible building, constructed at the same time as Wells Fargo and it looks much more dated. That's what happens when you build on the cheap. Maybe someone will buy it and strip it down the steel and make it a mixed used building...

http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/pdf/SacBee-11-07-13.pdf Anyone know where I can get a list of these location ideas?

Last edited by enigma99a; May 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
SACRAMENTO, Calif. —Lawmakers are authorizing the state to move the headquarters of the California Board of Equalization out of a Sacramento office tower that has been plagued with problems.

Democratic Assemblyman Roger Dickinson of Sacramento says window glass has fallen from the building, its elevators plummet for no reason, and water often pours into work spaces.

The state has spent $60 million repairing it, but up to $159 million more is needed. Dickinson told the Assembly on Thursday that it's time for the state to "cut our losses, to stop wasting taxpayers' money" and protect the building's 2,200 workers.

Lawmakers approved AB1656 on a 66-0 vote Thursday, sending it to the Senate.

It authorizes the state to start planning for a new headquarters that will consolidate the main office and four satellites.

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/...#ixzz3399Ap8gS

Now the question is, what kind of square feet will be needed since it is 450 Capitol Mall + 4 offices (4,000 employees total). Hopefully it won't be a dreaded sprawlscraper. With the price of land downtown, it will be cheaper to buy up a lot of land and build east end type of buildings.. And since it is the State, the city can't do crap. What a horrible building, constructed at the same time as Wells Fargo and it looks much more dated. That's what happens when you build on the cheap. Maybe someone will buy it and strip it down the steel and make it a mixed used building...

http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/pdf/SacBee-11-07-13.pdf Anyone know where I can get a list of these location ideas?
I don't really think there is any room for them to put another landscraper anywhere downtown and I'm sure if they even proposal that there will be 10,000 lawsuits filed to stop it. The kings have already commited nearly a billion dollars to downtown, it's not in their best interest for the state to fill downtown with a bunch of landscrapers that are dead spaces by 5pm instead of retail and highrise hotels and apartments.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 11:11 PM

Yeah I really hope they don't built a campus out in Rancho but it's the state... so. Anyways what's going to happen to that building once they vacate? Convert it to residences I hope.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Yeah I really hope they don't built a campus out in Rancho but it's the state... so. Anyways what's going to happen to that building once they vacate? Convert it to residences I hope.
If they are going to build another landscraper I HOPE it's out in Rancho

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:01 AM
Here we stAy

Hopefully they bring back the West End from the dead with one of the high rise options. That project surely would have enough space to hold all of the BOE.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:52 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Hopefully they bring back the West End from the dead with one of the high rise options. That project surely would have enough space to hold all of the BOE.

You mean the 50 story configuration?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
You mean the 50 story configuration?
Hell why not? Call it the Golden State Builing. Then they could house many more state agencies that are currently spread out all over the place. But I would prefer another location because the O Street corridor is over-saturated with state offices which makes it dull during the day and dead at night. I'd rather see mixed use housing on that site with ground floor retail. The city should exchange their plot of land at the Railyards for it that way thy could cover two bodies with one blanket and jump start the Railyards. Just a thought but I haven't had my coffee yet.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:54 PM

More evidence that John Saca plans to revive his Metropolitan high-rise plan

May 30, 2014, 6:52am PDT
Ben van der Meer Staff Writer-
Sacramento Business Journal

More evidence suggests that The Metropolitan, a downtown high-rise approved several years ago but never built, could soon be back on the front burner.

The Business Journal reported last week the city planned to sell a property necessary for the project to John Saca. The developer has not returned calls from the Business Journal, but he told Sactown Magazine he plans to break ground on the project next year.

Construction would require demolishing several existing buildings at the northeast corner of 10th and J streets downtown. Tuesday, the Sacramento City Council approved sale of the final property Saca needs — a vacant building at 921 10th St. — for $600,000.

The council did so with no comment and next to no staff presentation; the staff report for the item indicated the building was in deplorable shape and had no value except location. According to the city, Saca has not yet approached the building or planning department about necessary demolition or construction permits to proceed with the Metropolitan.

Sactown Magazine’s item, which described the project as a combination hotel/high-end condo building of 41 stories, said The Metropolitan would be Sacramento's tallest building. However, it’s not clear how the financing for such a project would work, or what hotel would be part of it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...evive-his.html

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:20 PM

This is not due to the Arena, this is solely due to the SRO's downtown.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:34 AM

http://m.bizjournals.com/sacramento/...1499995&r=full

"Bay Miry of D&S Development, one of two partners in a mixed-use project on the 700 block of K Street, tweeted Friday evening a suit between the city and state over the project may be settled. The block-long project is next door to the downtown arena project and is seen as a key to K Street's long-awaited rejuvenation."

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 2:22 AM
Hindrance to Development

Great news--been waiting a long time for that project. Mixed use retail and mixed income housing, mixing new and old. There are potentially other tools to allow more projects like this, in place of now-vanished TIF redevelopment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area