HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:42 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Has construction still not started? I was just about to ask someone to post a few update photos the other day after Johnny posted a run down of all of the recent proposals.
Yeah it's just an empty, grassy lot of prime real estate.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 12:09 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Yeah it's just an empty, grassy lot of prime real estate.
Dang. They were talking big game when it was proposed. Maybe I'm wrongly remembering though, was groundbreaking in late 2015 or were they planning to be open by late 2015?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:21 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Dang. They were talking big game when it was proposed. Maybe I'm wrongly remembering though, was groundbreaking in late 2015 or were they planning to be open by late 2015?
According to an article from March, 2014:

Quote:
The Hilton Garden Inn, at 195 Union Ave., will be owned and managed by Knoxville-based Turkey Creek Hospitality and is scheduled to open in May 2016
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...r-bus-station/

I couldn't find a more recent article than that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 11:52 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
According to an article from March, 2014:

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...r-bus-station/

I couldn't find a more recent article than that.
Lol thanks for the info. I was all over the place with those dates.

Any updates or photos in the UofM area (including the new dorms)?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:54 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Lol thanks for the info. I was all over the place with those dates.

Any updates or photos in the UofM area (including the new dorms)?
Yeah, but it's weird there hasn't been any word in almost a year. Though I guess if that goal date is still the same they have time enough to meet it.

As far as the U of M area, I don't have pictures right now but the latest set of apartments on Southern is coming along well- land is being cleared for Highland Row, and half the new dorm building next to Richardson is coming along well (the other half will be built where Richardson currently stands).

Haven't checked up on the midrise on Brister, but doesn't seem to be much happening in that direction yet.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 9:48 PM

Sears Crosstown will officially break ground on February 21.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:24 AM

Don't let the headline fool you, as we're not exactly getting a full-blown Nordstrom store, but rather a Nordstrom Rack according to the article.

Nordstrom looking at Memphis
Meagan Nichols
Staff Reporter - Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...t-memphis.html

Quote:
Nordstrom has confirmed that it is scouting for potential Memphis locations for a Nordstrom Rack outlet.

Real Estate sources say the retailer is currently looking at two locations though Nordstrom representatives said there was "nothing definitive to share at this time."

The upscale clothing store is apparently looking at property near the Shops of Saddle Creek in Germantown or possibly in East Memphis in part of the Sears at Laurelwood Shopping Center.

Last edited by James Owen; Jan 17, 2015 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Don't let the headline fool you, as we're not exactly getting a full-blown Nordstrom store, but rather a Nordstrom Rack according to the article.

Nordstrom looking at Memphis
Meagan Nichols
Staff Reporter - Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...t-memphis.html
Macy's and Dillard's kinda have the dept. store market cornered considering it's not really a growth sector of retail.

Thought this would be at the outlet center in Southhaven.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Macy's and Dillard's kinda have the dept. store market cornered considering it's not really a growth sector of retail.

Thought this would be at the outlet center in Southaven.
Nordstrom normally doesn't operate their Nordstrom Rack stores at outlet malls. Their most recent store in Brentwood (right along the border of Davidson and Williamson counties) operates at a local shopping center anchored by a Kroger supermarket (somehow, MBJ left that out of the article as this would only be their second Nordstrom Rack store in the state).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:29 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Yeah, but it's weird there hasn't been any word in almost a year. Though I guess if that goal date is still the same they have time enough to meet it.
Yeah, May 2016 is still possible, but they're going to have to be on the good foot to meet that. I'd just like to see progress at this point. 10 years and counting for a new hotel downtown and we've yet to see one materialize. That's ridiculous.

Quote:
As far as the U of M area, I don't have pictures right now but the latest set of apartments on Southern is coming along well- land is being cleared for Highland Row, and half the new dorm building next to Richardson is coming along well (the other half will be built where Richardson currently stands).
Sounds good. Southern is shaping up to be pretty special as far as pedestrian traffic and student life is concerned. The entire UofM area in 10 years of so, possibly 5 will be really special and create a pretty walkable/unique neighborhood.

Quote:
Haven't checked up on the midrise on Brister, but doesn't seem to be much happening in that direction yet
Other than Highland Row, I'm probably the most exited about this one. The other developments will bring a lot to the area, but I think this particular proposal will be one that really drives the idea of a rebirth of sorts for the area.

Bringing Loeb into the Mix on the Highland Strip is also pretty awesome. I think something similar (while not a grand) as the rebirth at Overton Square is in the future.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:34 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Are any of y'all planning on going to the public meeting concerning the Fairgrounds proposal? A few of my architecture and planning friends in Memphis are planning on going. I wish I was around to go and be nosy. Proposals like the fairgrounds are those that I somewhat favor, but at the same time I'm against. Having a career in development, honestly and obviously, if I were in Memphis I would potentially benefit in some shape or form from this proposal, no matter how under thought I think it is. That's why I'm somewhat interested in what will be said and who will say it. There's quite a bit of money to be made here, so I'm curious to see who supports the plan in full and who will handle the design and finalized master plan for this.

I'm all for the mixed use developments, but the ball fields and other sports complexes there aren't the best use of that land, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:36 PM

Trolley Plan To Go Public

Memphis Flyer:
Quote:
Trolleys will take center stage at Memphis City Hall in two weeks as Memphis Area Transit Authority (MATA) officials are expected to bring their plans for reviving the trolley system to the Memphis City Council.

MATA officials brought two resolutions for trolley funding to the council Tuesday, Jan. 20. The funds were leftover from existing grants. But MATA’s request to use them were delayed after council members expressed concerns about the system, especially the Madison Line.

“I’m not inclined to to support (the resolutions), not because I don’t like trolleys but I think that it might need a new design model on Madison Avenue,” said council member Harold Collins.

Council member Shea Flinn said he that he and Collins were “far from alone about questions on trolleys on Madison Avenue."

“Since (the Madison Line’s) birth, it’s been a difficult situation,” Flinn said. “I’m not sure how well its worked out."

The concerns may signal major changes ahead for the Memphis trolley system.

MATA president Ron Garrison said the funds he requested Tuesday weren’t specifically for the Madison Line but for the entire system. The funds will pay for upgrades to the tracks, the trolleys, and trolley stops.

Also, the funds will help pay for a team of rail and safety consultants who have been working with MATA to get the system back online.

Those consultants will accompany Garrison at city hall in two weeks as they present their overall plan for the trolley system. It will be the first public review of the plan to revive the trolley system since the system was shut down last year.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:33 PM

Currently $200 million of investment for 1-square mile of the South Main district.

SOUTH MAIN IS TAKING OFF!
GoSouthMain.com

Quote:
Businesses and people are investing in South Main more than ever before. In fact, there are more than $200 million worth of new projects planned or underway in this 1-square-mile neighborhood! Perhaps because it has a rare authentic, creative vibe. Maybe it's the remarkable architectural assets. It might be it's proximity to the core of Downtown Memphis and the Mississippi River. Whatever the reason, South Main is poised for thoughtful growth.
http://www.gosouthmain.com/new-projects.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 9:37 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I'm looking forward to seeing the trolley report. I also agree with Councilmen Collins and Flynn in regards to the Madison Avenue line. By all mean, keep the trolleys as they have been on Main and the Riverside Loop for the tourists. It's time to implement something more efficient on Madison that's geared toward individuals who will routinely use it. The planning for its (Madison Line) expansion needs to begin. I think that with an expansion further east it will gain ridership. As it is now that might be a stretch.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 2:58 AM

has the hard rock hotel idea been shelved? any selection of a suitable building downtown or site for one in the downtown area been announced for the fbi? w/ the move of archimania architects to s. main, and the building of, and proposals of smaller living quarters for indivuals, i sure would like to see the implementation of the 12 story livingspaces built. it really, imo, would be different to see a grouping of 3 or 4 of these buildings, as proposed by archimania a few years ago, come to fruition.

one last note, w/ the upcoming election for mayor, i happened to notice the recent photo of mayor wharton, as he spoke to a gathering a week or so ago. he has always been a handsome man, but, for the first time, his age has begun to show. a few more wrinkles, particularly around his mouth. i would think that, w/ his age in the near mid-70's, a secure retirement, and assumeably reasonably good health, he and his wife might want to take time to enjoy their children, grandchildren, and his community, for which he has worked for so many years. i would like to see what lutrell could do for the city, or maybe, go nation-wide for a search for a solid, middle-aged candidate w/ experience in city management/corporate management, etc.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:39 AM

Mayor Wharton is doing a fine job in a position that is more stressful than that of his old occupation as county mayor. Everyone ages, that's expected with life. But surely he's not ready to stop pursing the multiple plans he has for the city, just to retire to watching TV in his house and having occasional visits from friends and family. To be honest, he's probably having to much fun to hang in the towel at the moment (I know for a fact his wife isn't, with all the boards and positions she's on). Gaining "a few more wrinkles" is not even close to a plausible reason to stop supporting a man with so much experience to offer. If wrinkles were any indication to fire people, then we should oust just about all of Congress and SCOTUS.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:40 PM

i agree about the trolleys, both, as they attract tourist, who are visiting the city, the fact that they are easily seen and identifiable to both the tourist/visiting population, as well as the resident population. i would like to see the madison line extended further out, and i would like to see the system extend to the south main district, w/ a very definite consideration of the future commercial/residential plans shown just past the bluffs and the french fort neighborhoods recently. in my travels, one of the most frequently mentioned features about downtown memphis is the like of the trolleys and the nostalgia they bring to downtown. too, i think w/ the large amount of residential development in, around and north of uptown, it would be useful extending ridership up to and through the new single residential and multi-residential areas, which are currently underway at the north end of harbor town and the island. perhaps, w/in a few years, the trolley could run alongside the current main drive and through harbor town. it would be possible to loop back to downtown over the wolf river harbour, or possibly go under the hernando-desoto bridge capturing mud island riders or simply running along the water's edge to riverside or front, whatever the outcome of those areas end up, when the pyramid complex is finished.

i noticed that the current assessments and plans continue to show the building of the hilton just south of the forum. anyone know anything contrary to this information? it would be nice to see 1st methodist complete their corner.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:57 AM

Look what I came across...plans for the old Cozymel's site next to International Paper. A rendering is also displayed on site. The orientation of the building is unexpected, but I look forward to seeing what will fill the building (always hoping for a Cheesecake Factory).

http://properties.theshoppingcenterg...venue#overview

I'm a little unimpressed by the design. I was hoping for something a bit more modern/eye-catching. But it beats a concrete foundation.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:07 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^It needs a little more parking along Poplar. I complain about a lot, but nothing drives me up a wall more than a parking arrangement like that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:14 PM

Groundbreaking party announced for Crosstown development

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...crosstown.html

Quote:
An $80.5 million loan from SunTrust Bank combined with funding from 21 public, private and philanthropic sources and more than $200 million has been secured for project financing.

A groundbreaking party and community rally is planned for Feb. 21 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to kickstart the rebrand of the once abandoned building. That date is exactly 88 years after the original groundbreaking in 1927.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations