HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

700 West Eighth Tower I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Don't knock it you can fit a lot of stuff in the freezer and a 28lb turkey fits in the oven just fine.
You can't be serious about the freezer. It's smaller than the vegetable crisper in my normal sized fridge, which is not one of those bloated overs-sized fridges you see in the burbs. Most of the freezer space is taken up by the compressor.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 8:27 AM
BANNED

No, we were doing a photo shoot in the upper view suites which turned into a long morning and we noticed the crows were crowing loudly as we tried to get them to shut up and there were many of them clinging to the landscaping in the centre of the building (there's a little encode for them in the centre of the building to hang out I guess).

By the way the bedrooms are tiny in this building. Just thought I'd point that out. Wonder if there are any owners reading this and what their own thoughts are on the building? Many of us would love to hear about what it's like living there and the quality overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Crow problem? Wow... had no idea. That's gonna be messy. Do you live in the building or in the area, perhaps?

And sorry, but in an "upper end" project like this, a fridge only big enough to serve the needs of a first year college student is beyond belief.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lantern View Post
By the way the bedrooms are tiny in this building. Just thought I'd point that out. Wonder if there are any owners reading this and what their own thoughts are on the building? Many of us would love to hear about what it's like living there and the quality overall.
I'm curious about why someone would pay over a million dollars for something with a master bedroom that's only 9 x 10 in some suites. Seriously screwed up floorplans in this project.

MONSTRO master baths, micro bed rooms and flea-sized appliances = fail.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 1:16 AM

Last April we visited this building to check out a rental unit on the market at that time. The unit was advertised being high floor and some of those units have amazing views. There were lots of people to see the unit, but it turned out that the unit was not high-floor and was advertised using photos from a completely different unit.

The unit turned out to be on the fourth floor, which is the lowest floor just above the podium. It is a dark alley and the unit was horribly gloomy. Everyone was so pissed about the false advertising, but this is unfortunately very common tactics on Vancouver rental markets. Agents advertise crappy units with false photos to lure in people. I could never imagine renting anything from such a sketchy person. What else is he going to lie about?

Even on a sunny day the unit is in shadow and very gloomy.

"High-floor" view.

Last edited by Klazu; Apr 17, 2016 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:20 AM

Did they ever replant that dead green wall near the main entrance?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Seems to be alive and well in last August.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Yes, although I hear they had to ditch the "green" watering system and switch to potable water.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:22 AM

Alright, I finally made it to see the sub-penthouse unit which I have seen being rented out on both occasions we have been searching for a new home. I remember that three years ago this 1,650 sqft unit rented for $3,500 but since then the rent has gone up to $6,300!! This is of course total bullshit for a second-rate building with nice view as its only selling point.

Knowing this, we still wanted to check out if there could be any justification for the price. On paper the unit actually sounds nice and large, but in reality it is tiny with the longest in-suite corridor I have ever seen. The inside is also very dark, as all three bedrooms to the south are facing Holiday Inn's concrete wall only 1 meter from the windows. Those bedrooms have the most horrible view I have ever seen in a sub-penthouse.

Only the main bedroom had a window facing elsewhere than the concrete wall.

One can tell that the unit has been sitting empty for at least half a year, as we made the huge mistake of opening the fridge, only to release a smell that was like death. "Ooops" was the comment from the rental agent and I seriously doubt that the fridge can ever be made hygienic again.

We were told that the owner is stubborn with the price, even though the unit has not been garnering any interest at this ridiculous price. To be honest, I wouldn't pay even half of what they are asking for it, as everything felt cheap and pretty appalling. It is mind-boggling how people treat their multi-million dollar investments in this market.

The one thing the unit actually had going for itself was the view of Downtown, which is one of the very best along Broadway corridor. I could only take few quick shots, but I can imagine this view looking amazing through the seasons and in different weather. Such a shame that whoever will be looking at that view, will have to live such a shitty apartment...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:50 AM
Reason and Freedom

Wow. Amazing shots.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:01 PM

Yup. That project is a clear example of how Westbank shouldn't be in the condo business. After hearing the experiences of people living in the Woodwards and Telus projects, in addition to this one, I wouldn't touch a Westbank building with the proverbial ten foot pole.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:08 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Yup. That project is a clear example of how Westbank shouldn't be in the condo business. After hearing the experiences of people living in the Woodwards and Telus projects, in addition to this one, I wouldn't touch a Westbank building with the proverbial ten foot pole.
As a former Woodward's owner I agree. Build quality 5/10. Would not recommend.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:02 AM

During our long search, we saw both the best penthouse unit in Woodwards and the second best unit in this building, and neither would come even close to being luxurious. Both buildings clearly have a very poor and cheap build quality, but at least Woodwards has nice amenities. This building had nothing besides a small gym.

I was still very curious to see the view from up there, which is currently the best in the area and this only from 17th floor. Just imagine what views a taller tower along Broadway would command.

There were also few ads for interesting units in Telus Garden, but none of those worked out for us to see, so I have yet to see how quality in that building compares to these two. Based on prices I have seen, owners in Telus Garden seem to think that they own luxurious gems, but based on that earlier video I seriously doubt that being the case...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver