HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
An El is not something I've given much thought to, but I have to imagine it's the kind of project that would get a ton of opposition in LA.
I remember people constantly using monorails as an example of what should be built instead of light rail when Measure R was being voted on.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
I remember people constantly using monorails as an example of what should be built instead of light rail when Measure R was being voted on.
light rail is not the problem, it's at grade crossings.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuatroCerberus View Post
I don't understand why all the Los Angelenos, on here are complaining about getting the chargers. San Diego clearly showed that they do not want to support them, numerous times. The LA stadium has the capacity for two teams, we already knew this would happen. LA region can support the teams, plus its more for LA, arent you guys for the betterment of LA? San Diegans can still root for them, there just in different locale. TBH San Diegans didn't even like them anyway, they were a losing team that had fair weather fans. I think what it is, is that San Diegans just resent LA, but its never the other way around. People from LA never rag on San Diego or look down on it. I personally think people from San Diego have a inferiority complex about they're city, seeing how LA siphons everything, away from it.
For one thing, the Chargers have made it pretty challenging to place a team in LA, constantly blocking any move for other teams to set up in their market (which to them, includes LA).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 11:37 PM
Paramoderator

Surprised no one has posted about this yet:

https://archpaper.com/2017/01/main-t...l-downtown-la/

12 story tower proposed for Main St. next to the new museum.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Surprised no one has posted about this yet:

https://archpaper.com/2017/01/main-t...l-downtown-la/

12 story tower proposed for Main St. next to the new museum.
This is great!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:18 AM

Wow! What a cool, unique design, it compliments its neighbor nicely and it has 196 units with only 167 parking spaces and theyre underground! Thats progress no? With that crazy looking museum next door these two will be an amazing couple. Really cool, more projects like that please, man I hope this gets built.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
Wow! What a cool, unique design, it compliments its neighbor nicely and it has 196 units with only 167 parking spaces and theyre underground! Thats progress no? With that crazy looking museum next door these two will be an amazing couple. Really cool, more projects like that please, man I hope this gets built.
It will be an interesting block, architecturally. This has the negative space "cutout" and the Main Museum next door will have that crazy outcropping on the roofline of the facade.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 4:38 AM

New renderings of the LAFC stadium - https://archpaper.com/2017/01/new-re...-club-stadium/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 5:28 AM

Tons of renderings for the Sears Building from Omgivning: http://omgivning.com/om/project/sear...mark-building1

Quote:
Adaptive reuse of historic Sears building. The structure will hold approximately 1,000 live/work units, 80,000 SF of retail/restaurant and 240,000 SF of office space; the existing 250,000 SF Sears store will remain. 200,000 SF will be removed from the floor plates to allow new light courts. An indoor/outdoor market/retail component will weave through the ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
A rare week when L.A. takes candy from both San Francisco (Lucas Museum) & San Diego (Chargers). Unfortunately, more grist for the LaLa bashers I suppose.
precisely.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:51 AM

what is going on with this proj?! some of the areas of the bloc look like they're running out of money before they can finish the job. Or is that just the new hip aesthetic of exposed ductwork & plain gray concrete? I always disliked the dark, bumpy brick floors of the old macys plaza, but those new floors of overly plain concrete....if that's what that they are.....are a bit of a stretch in their own right. however, the revamped Sheraton looks nice.

Video Link

Quote:
Unfortunately, more grist for the LaLa bashers I suppose.

lala's new theme song....

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Tons of renderings for the Sears Building from Omgivning: http://omgivning.com/om/project/sear...mark-building1
Thanks! Holy crap, it's like another ROW DTLA with indoor/outdoor component and creative office space.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:37 AM
Ascension

^ Gorgeous. Yes. It's been a great 2017 in LA 17 days in. That's what adaptive reuse should look like all across LA. This is very reminiscent of that reuse project slated for 7th and Alameda. All this development...more of it please.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:20 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
Thanks! Holy crap, it's like another ROW DTLA with indoor/outdoor component and creative office space.

]
Damn. The Wilshire Grand is backwards.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:49 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
This is great!
I think the design is a bit busy, but I do appreciate how it pays respect to the adjacent Rosslyn.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 9:28 PM

That Sears project looks incredible. It reminds me of Ponce City Market in Atlanta, which also used to be a Sears building, except PCM lacks the operating store.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:29 PM
FlyyyFALiiFe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
That Sears project looks incredible. It reminds me of Ponce City Market in Atlanta, which also used to be a Sears building, except PCM lacks the operating store.
The first time I found myself in Ponce City Market I immediately imagined a rehabbed Sears in Boyle Heights. The two have many similar qualities.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:30 PM

Has the DTLA building boom peaked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
^ Gorgeous. Yes. It's been a great 2017 in LA 17 days in. That's what adaptive reuse should look like all across LA. This is very reminiscent of that reuse project slated for 7th and Alameda. All this development...more of it please.
Rates could be rising, new administration could crimp Chinese money, and just plain overbuilding? Also a recession in 2017 or 2018? The boom has been great, and hopefully will continue, but I read recently that the new condos are offering concessions to buyers. Too many condos for wealthy, not enough for people of ordinary incomes. We hear about a shortgage of affordable housing, but nearly all of the new buildings cater to the wealthy or upper middle class. This is also true of SF, Seattle, San Diego. Think we might be at the peak or have started the decent. May not be as bad as 2007/2008 real estate plunge, but it could be painful in L.A., S.F., S.D., Miami etc.

In Canada, Vancouver has already peaked; Toronto could be next. Toronto looks very very very bubbly--almost 30 500' (or taller) buildings under construction! The Toronto building boom makes L.A. boom look puny in comparison.

Anybody disagree?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Rates could be rising, new administration could crimp Chinese money, and just plain overbuilding? Also a recession in 2017 or 2018? The boom has been great, and hopefully will continue, but I read recently that the new condos are offering concessions to buyers. Too many condos for wealthy, not enough for people of ordinary incomes. We hear about a shortgage of affordable housing, but nearly all of the new buildings cater to the wealthy or upper middle class. This is also true of SF, Seattle, San Diego. Think we might be at the peak or have started the decent. May not be as bad as 2007/2008 real estate plunge, but it could be painful in L.A., S.F., S.D. In Canada, Vancouver has already peaked; Toronto could be next. Toronto looks very very very bubbly--almost 30 500' (or taller) buildings under construction! Anybody disagree?
I disagree only because there have been a plethora of articles since 2014 saying that the economy had peeked. So I would say only time would tell...but there are always going to be the ones that say it's done, only downhill from now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Rates could be rising, new administration could crimp Chinese money, and just plain overbuilding?
I wouldn't count too much on that if I were in your place.

Your country would be crumbling under debts owed to Chinese assets already. You guys have been living beyond your means and should probably rely more on your own resources at the moment. Or at some point, business people from China would turn doubtful and a bit distrustful... Ainsi va la vie.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations