HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 3:20 PM
Mooderator

I've been looking for some new areas to take skyline pics from.. there's a couple of places on my list:

- Bank Street at Kildare, looking north

- Riverside Drive near Moodie's Bay.

- Prince of Wales / Preston (before going down the hill there by the Agriculture Museum)

- In Aylmer, there's a cool view of Downtown from Vanier Rd. near Kilroy Crescent... I went to take a pic from there last week, but the air was thick with smoke and I couldn't see anything.

There's also a neat view from McConnell Rd/Vanier where you can see downtown.. it's the road in the top right of this pic...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 3:39 PM
Mooderator

Here's the reverse angle of the photo above.. took this yesterday afternoon. You can just barely make out the cranes for HP and 180 Kent.

Bigger (not very sharp)..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blix613...76604/sizes/o/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:20 PM

I was just thinking, I had my dog out for a short walk by Westboro beach a week or so ago, and there is an awesome view of the Parkway/Lincoln Heights skyline from there. Makes it almost look like a mini-downtown off in the distance at night. Also, the little "Rapids" park on the Parkway just North of Tunney's has awesome panorama's of both the Hull Skyline, and the Ottawa skyline from the little Turret thingy they have there on the point...

I will have to go and get some pictures of these areas to add to the photo galleries for the night time shots (though I only have an older Fuji Finepix E510 5.2mp camera).

L8tz

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 5:19 PM

I have a feeling that Ottawa will be liberated from it's stodgy anti-development reputation and fear of heights as all the baby boomer nimbys age and start worrying more about their health than putting their name on every petition and attending every development meeting. I know my generation (30 +/-) is fed up with the sea of severed stumps that makes up our CBD.

Think about this: If you were a large corporation would you bother setting up shop in Ottawa's downtown? It would require construction of 2 or 3 buildings, all under 30 stories, using so many more resources, using so much more land, and costing so much more to build than one 50 story tower. I am convinced that if we were more savvy to height and densification we could attract 40+ story commercial developments due to our extremely well educated workforce.

I am also very frustrated with the Lebreton Flats plan. Another sea of stumps, no one standing out from the others. It's going to look like a modern glass and brick clad representation of soviet housing blocks from the fifties and sixties. If the concern about height in Ottawa is related to preserving views of our historical centre revolving around Parliament hill, why not open up Lebreton for tall commercial development? It's on lower ground, so it wouldn't interfear with any of these vistas. A 45 story building on Lebreton wouldn't be any taller than Place De Ville from most vantage points in the city.

My 2 Cents....

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 12:01 AM
Mooderator

took this one this morning..

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 2:10 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I like it. great angle. even better with allo police and m. lube

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I have a feeling that Ottawa will be liberated from it's stodgy anti-development reputation and fear of heights as all the baby boomer nimbys age and start worrying more about their health than putting their name on every petition and attending every development meeting. I know my generation (30 +/-) is fed up with the sea of severed stumps that makes up our CBD.

Think about this: If you were a large corporation would you bother setting up shop in Ottawa's downtown? It would require construction of 2 or 3 buildings, all under 30 stories, using so many more resources, using so much more land, and costing so much more to build than one 50 story tower. I am convinced that if we were more savvy to height and densification we could attract 40+ story commercial developments due to our extremely well educated workforce.

I am also very frustrated with the Lebreton Flats plan. Another sea of stumps, no one standing out from the others. It's going to look like a modern glass and brick clad representation of soviet housing blocks from the fifties and sixties. If the concern about height in Ottawa is related to preserving views of our historical centre revolving around Parliament hill, why not open up Lebreton for tall commercial development? It's on lower ground, so it wouldn't interfear with any of these vistas. A 45 story building on Lebreton wouldn't be any taller than Place De Ville from most vantage points in the city.

My 2 Cents....
Lebreton Flats
This is a sticky area do you open it up and lets compamnys come in and do as they please in a area that hosts many festivals etc.Aslo a 40 plus story building rght there may take away from the war musuem and even be a eye sore if the building is to high in that area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion