HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 5:26 AM
perhaps . . .

The only thing holding Richmond back in terms of taller buildings is the very high cost of making safe foundations in that less than stable ground. Regardless, as you guys know, the city in general, including all the buildings (of all sizes) and all the infrastructure is at risk. And it's not just an issue of collapse, buildings may hold together during the quake but end up leaning, even slightly. Demolition would be the only correction for that. Or, your building might come through it just fine, but your road network may be impassable, your utility connections may be destroyed, or, you may be sitting in a shallow sea. Even though these kind of things could be rectified, it would take a lot of time to substantially recover. Who wants to live through that?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
The only thing holding Richmond back in terms of taller buildings is the very high cost of making safe foundations in that less than stable ground. Regardless, as you guys know, the city in general, including all the buildings (of all sizes) and all the infrastructure is at risk. And it's not just an issue of collapse, buildings may hold together during the quake but end up leaning, even slightly. Demolition would be the only correction for that. Or, your building might come through it just fine, but your road network may be impassable, your utility connections may be destroyed, or, you may be sitting in a shallow sea. Even though these kind of things could be rectified, it would take a lot of time to substantially recover. Who wants to live through that?
richmond might get the worse end of things, but is it really going to matter if the "big one" hits Van? roads, buldings, etc etc., everything would collapse, not just in richmond.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 11:07 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
richmond might get the worse end of things, but is it really going to matter if the "big one" hits Van? roads, buldings, etc etc., everything would collapse, not just in richmond.
If we put aside the terrible things, like loss of life, I prefer to be in a relatively intact area within the overall disaster, than an area decimated on a large scale. The people on solid rock, away from steep slopes, will be in areas which will be repaired and back closer to normal than places like the delta. Even if you are in a structure in Richmond that survives unscathed, you might be looking at years before everything around you is put back together. If the region's survival planning works, those of us on solid ground with high mass, will be back functioning the quickest. And then we can help out the poor people that were hit hardest.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
This is one of the reasons why I never quite warm up to this area. One engineeer friend of mine said Richmond has spongy ground which is part of the reason there is never skyscraper height buildings in Richmond. not to mention the airplane noise, and flight path consideration. Other than No 3 road there is not a lot of coordinated walkable neighbourhoods. I have to admit restaurants are great in Richmond. Some are world class +++
Liquefaction is only a major risk for the bulk of lowrise and SFH in Richmond. Though the bedrock in Richmond is too deep to pile to (350 feet or so) many other steps are taken to brace large developments there such as rock piling and big raft slabs.

Last edited by LeftCoaster; Mar 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:46 PM

think we are derailing this thread. Better stop here before forum regulator steps in , or start new thread.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 11:49 PM

Update

all my photos, taken June 18th.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 11:57 PM

Great shots.
Bike path looks narrow in the first pics - but wider in the later pics - different builders I guess, or just the camera angle?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Great shots.
Bike path looks narrow in the first pics - but wider in the later pics - different builders I guess, or just the camera angle?
they are a different width. not by much but a little bit. it is noticeable. an interesting idea putting them like that, though. i like how they have street lighting, then lamp posts that are double sided for the sidewalk and bike path. there will be no shortage of lighting for those that's for sure.

Last edited by VancouverOfTheFuture; Jun 21, 2016 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
all my photos, taken June 18th.
Do you know someone that lives there? I see you took a shot inside the lobby of Tower A.

Last edited by Sin_City; Jun 21, 2016 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin_City View Post
Do you know someone that lives there? I see you took a shot inside the lobby of Tower A.
no, i just took the picture through the glass. no one was around. haha. i tried minimize the glass glare.

the photos were taken with an iPhone 5s.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
no, i just took the picture through the glass. no one was around. haha. i tried minimize the glass glare.

the photos were taken with an iPhone 5s.
Nice job. I couldn't tell.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 9:12 PM

Aerial update of Pinnacle Park Place from last week:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:07 AM

welcome back to Vancouver?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
welcome back to Vancouver?
I think he was flying out based on the picture of the Tricities he posted.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 10:44 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I think he was flying out based on the picture of the Tricities he posted.
Its a typical landing loop to fly roughly over dtn - Hastings - SFU - banking south just east of New West before lining up for the approach over Surrey/Richmond into YVR. He was on approach to YVR for those pictures, not leaving.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:32 PM

Marshall you are correct. we did a slightly stranger loop than I'm used to over deep cove/SFU which allowed me to get some unusual shots of Univercity.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 1:18 AM

Huge batch of photos!

I came by the new community being built around Capstan and took about 60 photos. You can also see those on the Concord Gardens thread (for the Concord development) and the Suburban thread (for Polygon's Avanti project)

Phase 2 (left) and what I believe to be Phase 3 (right).

The completed Phase 1.

The "greenway" from the above picture leads to great views of the construction site!

All photos were taken by myself.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 6:19 AM

Thanks skytrain!!! I really appreciate all your pics!!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Thanks skytrain!!! I really appreciate all your pics!!
No problem! Glad to help!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 8:20 PM

Pinnacle posted a photo tour on their website. Doesn't look awful, at least by their standards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley