HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:42 AM
National Capital Region

Building permit issued for interior alterations to replace seating in a movie theatre (Landmark Theatres Kanata) - $3,000,000 value

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Building permit issued for interior alterations to replace seating in a movie theatre (Landmark Theatres Kanata) - $3,000,000 value
Just past the ticket collection booth, beside the refreshment stands, they have some examples of what the seats will look like. Essentially they are black vinyl (I doubt it's leather...) Lazy Boy-style recliners with built-in cup holders.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:13 PM
National Capital Region

Cineplex applying for a liquor licence at Coliseum
https://www.agco.ca/sites/default/fi...er_30_2017.pdf

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Cineplex going all out at Coliseum lately, went from one of my least avourite Cineplex theaters in Ottawa to my favourite(thanks to the new seating).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:15 PM

The Landmark Theatre in Kanata also underwent some seating renovations - they are basically leatherette lazy-boys.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Upping it to VIP, I see? Lansdowne must have done well.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
The Landmark Theatre in Kanata also underwent some seating renovations - they are basically leatherette lazy-boys.
They are great! They are positioned in twos and the arm rest can be pulled up so you can bring a blanket and snuggle with your significant other. I actually decided against going to the theater two weeks ago because the movie I wanted to see had no showings with reclining chairs. Hard to go back to regular seats!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yesterday, it was announced that (what I believe to be) the Ottawa-Gatineau area's only drive-in theatre is closing.

Article in French:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...a-j3ZQRy4X3XNs

When I was a kid the Ciné-Parc Templeton would only show movies in French, but in recent years once it became the last in the region, it would have one screen showing in English, and one in French. And therefore draw people from both sides of the Ottawa River.

Only a handful of drive-in theatres remain in Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yesterday, it was announced that (what I believe to be) the Ottawa-Gatineau area's only drive-in theatre is closing.

Article in French:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...a-j3ZQRy4X3XNs

When I was a kid the Ciné-Parc Templeton would only show movies in French, but in recent years once it became the last in the region, it would have one screen showing in English, and one in French. And therefore draw people from both sides of the Ottawa River.

Only a handful of drive-in theatres remain in Quebec.
One left in Perth.

http://www.portelmsleydrivein.com/

And the equipment from Templeton has been sold to a new drive-in down in Belle-Neige in the Laurentians.

https://belleneige.com/cine-parc/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
One left in Perth.

http://www.portelmsleydrivein.com/

And the equipment from Templeton has been sold to a new drive-in down in Belle-Neige in the Laurentians.

https://belleneige.com/cine-parc/
I guess the one in Perth is kinda within striking distance if you live in a place like Stittsville.

Apparently there is one in Pembroke too.

I think there are five left in Quebec: three in the Montreal suburbs, and one in the Eastern Townships and another in Gaspésie.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:05 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

ByTowne Cinema closing after more than 70 years

Josh Pringle, CTV
Published Friday, December 4, 2020 12:43PM EST | Last Updated Friday, December 4, 2020 12:59PM EST

OTTAWA -- After more than 70 years of showing films to Ottawa audiences, the curtain is set to fall at the Bytowne Cinema for the final time.

In a statement, the ByTowne announced it will be closing on Dec. 31, citing fewer customers and fewer films available during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The cinema has been losing money every day since the pandemic hit. Even when we've been allowed to be open, audiences are dramatically smaller," said the ByTowne, which is owned by Bruce White.

"The ByTowne has a fantastic customer base, but many ByTowners just aren’t coming these days. And I don't blame them: our staff have done an amazing job with COVID protocols that keep customers as safe as possible, but everyone's risk assessment is personal, and specific to their circumstances."

The ByTowne on Rideau Street opened its doors on Feb. 10, 1947 as the Nelson cinema. According to the ByTowne website, Local entrepreneur Hyman Berlin built the cinema through the fall and winter of 1946. The first film was called "Johnny Frenchman."

The ByTowne closed in the spring during the first wave of the pandemic, but reopened in July when Ottawa moved to Stage 3 of the COVID-19 reopening plan. All movie theatres were forced to closed in Ottawa for 28 days in October when Ottawa moved to a modified Stage 2.

Theatres have been allowed to open in Ottawa since Nov. 7, when Ottawa moved to the orange-restrict zone as part of Ottawa's coloured-coded COVID-19 restrictions.

The ByTowne says while there have been fewer customers during the pandemic, there have also been fewer films available.

"Another factor in my decision to end programming as of Dec. 31 is that we're running out of movies," said the ByTowne.

"Since the pandemic hit, distributors have also had to make some business decisions. They've sold some titles to streaming services, skipping the marketing expense of releasing them to only a few limited-seating cinemas. Other movies have been moved from fall and winter releases to, well, some unspecified point in a possibly rosier future."

White says he started working on a succession plan in August, 2019, hoping to find someone to carrying on the ByTowne tradition and bring in fresh ideas.

"I was making some progress at that. Then the pandemic hit," writes White.

"It's still possible that someone will want to take over the ByTowne business and offer independent cinema to the ByTowne's wonderful fan base. But it's a scenario that's unlikely until we get out of the eye of the pandemic storm."

The ByTowne currently has 15 employees. White asks people to consider donating to his new project, "The Staff Appreciation Fund."

"E-transfer any amount to cinemail@bytowne.ca and I will make sure the Fund is equitably distributed to the staffers, ideally in time for Christmas," said White.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/bytowne-ci...ears-1.5217413

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:23 PM

Sad but not entirely surprising.

Would be nice if this block was redeveloped. The Circle K with surface parking at the corner, the theatre and the Days Inn would form a good chunk of land on Rideau, price for a nice mid-rise rental.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

Would be nice if this block was redeveloped. The Circle K with surface parking at the corner, the theatre and the Days Inn would form a good chunk of land on Rideau, price for a nice mid-rise rental.
Please let us just be sad for today before planning demolition / redevelopment... if there was one Ottawa move landmark that I thought could survive it was ByTowne... many magnificent memories and happy times there

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Please let us just be sad for today before planning demolition / redevelopment... if there was one Ottawa move landmark that I thought could survive it was ByTowne... many magnificent memories and happy times there
Agreed, this is terrible news. The Bytowne will leave a gap that won't be easily filled. Maybe partially by the Mayfair, but I can't imagine that they are in any better shape.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:19 AM

It would be nice if the NAC or city could take it over.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The ByTowne Cinema is coming back under new management

Megan Gillis, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: May 27, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

Ottawa’s beloved ByTowne Cinema will be back under new management after announcing a final curtain last year.

“There’s light in the darkness,” Bruce White said in a statement to fans of the Rideau Street repertory theatre billed as the best in independent and international cinema since 1988.

“I’m happy — thrilled, actually — to announce that the ByTowne will re-open under new management when pandemic conditions permit.

“The new owners plan to continue the tradition of the ByTowne and operate an indie cinema that will offer international films, documentaries and Canadian movies. And in my opinion, they have all the necessary qualities to make it a success.”

White, who announced the closure in December, said he’d leave it to the new owners to unveil their plans. They will be introducing themselves via the ByTowne’s social media accounts and newsletter soon, he said.

But White cautioned Ontario’s reopening plan will only allow indoor activities in the third stage of loosened restrictions and theatres and cinemas may face the same attendance caps as in 2020.

“Last summer and fall, we could only host 50 patrons at a time,” White said. “It doesn’t pay the bills.”

The new owners “can’t be asked to lose money right from their opening day … when attendance limits are more reasonable, movies can light up the ByTowne screen again.”

In the meantime, he encouraged cinephiles to keep supporting the cinema by renting the marquee for personal messages or buying merchandise and local artists’ images of the cinema.

— With files from Aedan Helmer

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...new-management

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:24 PM

That's great news!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 9:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's ByTowne Cinema to reopen under new owners
Daniel Demois, Andy Willick say they plan to build on indie theatre's legacy

Sandra Abma · CBC News
Posted: Jun 09, 2021 2:36 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Two new owners with plenty of experience running independent movie theatres have taken over Ottawa's ByTowne Cinema.

Daniel Demois and Andy Willick have owned and operated Toronto's Fox Theatre since 2007, and in 2014 they purchased the Apollo Cinema in Kitchener, Ont. Now they're preparing to unreel another chapter at the ByTowne.

Willick said the duo have long admired the ByTowne for its daring programming and devoted fanbase of local cinephiles.

"We just wanted to continue on the legacy of the place," he said.

Willick said they plan to reopen the ByTowne, which announced its closure in December, in the fall. He said the programming won't change much, but the new owners plan to offer some new features such as unlimited memberships and a remote viewing option for select titles. They also plan to obtain a licence to serve alcoholic beverages, Willick said.

Demois is preparing to move to Ottawa to help manage the reopening and make connections with the community.

"We see a lot of potential to work with other businesses and other organizations to do interesting community events and stuff like that at the theater," he said.

The partners are taking over from longtime owner Bruce White, who praised Demois and Willick in a statement issued Thursday.

"These two have experience, enthusiasm, and I'm beyond excited to see them carry on the ByTowne story," said White.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nema-1.6059086

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Ottawa's ByTowne Cinema to reopen under new owners
Daniel Demois, Andy Willick say they plan to build on indie theatre's legacy

Sandra Abma · CBC News
Posted: Jun 09, 2021 2:36 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Two new owners with plenty of experience running independent movie theatres have taken over Ottawa's ByTowne Cinema.

Daniel Demois and Andy Willick have owned and operated Toronto's Fox Theatre since 2007, and in 2014 they purchased the Apollo Cinema in Kitchener, Ont. Now they're preparing to unreel another chapter at the ByTowne.

Willick said the duo have long admired the ByTowne for its daring programming and devoted fanbase of local cinephiles.

"We just wanted to continue on the legacy of the place," he said.

Willick said they plan to reopen the ByTowne, which announced its closure in December, in the fall. He said the programming won't change much, but the new owners plan to offer some new features such as unlimited memberships and a remote viewing option for select titles. They also plan to obtain a licence to serve alcoholic beverages, Willick said.

Demois is preparing to move to Ottawa to help manage the reopening and make connections with the community.

"We see a lot of potential to work with other businesses and other organizations to do interesting community events and stuff like that at the theater," he said.

The partners are taking over from longtime owner Bruce White, who praised Demois and Willick in a statement issued Thursday.

"These two have experience, enthusiasm, and I'm beyond excited to see them carry on the ByTowne story," said White.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nema-1.6059086
Great news

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation