HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 1:26 PM
Urban Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Tidbits from the Midtown DRC meeting last night regarding Portman's 712 West Peachtree office tower.

- 712 tower is about 50 feet taller than Anthem tower
- There will be no residential component
- The mid-block curb cut on West Peachtree that was previously proposed has been eliminated
- The arcade on 3rd street has been eliminated from the plans (I believe they originally intended this to be outdoor dining for food and beverage tenant)
- In discussing the 3rd Street side they were told "the opportunity for development across 3rd street is near term - probably students." to which they replied "I agree with that."
- They hinted that the tower would be occupied within three years (I assume the timing will be similar to Anthem/Coda. Anthem got moving in earnest shortly before Coda topped out)
Were there any renderings? I suspect it will look differently than the previous proposal.

Old Posted Today, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Were there any renderings? I suspect it will look differently than the previous proposal.
Yes, but I am awful at explaining them architecturally. I suspect either Midtown Alliance or one of the media outlets will publish something within the next 24 hours. The massing was similar to the last presentation, but not quite as tall and without the obvious residential component on top.

Old Posted Today, 2:49 PM
Urban Cowboy

Quote:
Tidbits from the Midtown DRC meeting last night regarding Portman's 712 West Peachtree office tower.

- 712 tower is about 50 feet taller than Anthem tower
- There will be no residential component
- The mid-block curb cut on West Peachtree that was previously proposed has been eliminated
- The arcade on 3rd street has been eliminated from the plans (I believe they originally intended this to be outdoor dining for food and beverage tenant)
- In discussing the 3rd Street side they were told "the opportunity for development across 3rd street is near term - probably students." to which they replied "I agree with that."
- They hinted that the tower would be occupied within three years (I assume the timing will be similar to Anthem/Coda. Anthem got moving in earnest shortly before Coda topped out)
It's odd developers are looking at the east side of the Connector for student housing projects. Land is so much cheaper and plentiful on the west side. At some point they will priced out of the core Midtown CBD and I suspect it maybe be in the next year.

Old Posted Today, 3:14 PM

Quote:
It's odd developers are looking at the east side of the Connector for student housing projects. Land is so much cheaper and plentiful on the west side. At some point they will priced out of the core Midtown CBD and I suspect it maybe be in the next year.
I think you eventually may see a cluster of student housing around 3rd Street east of the connector because of the tunnel under the interstate at that location. I think the long term plan is to have that tunnel opened on a more permanent basis, making a quick walk for students to the main campus.

Old Posted Today, 3:25 PM

Quote:
I think you eventually may see a cluster of student housing around 3rd Street east of the connector because of the tunnel under the interstate at that location. I think the long term plan is to have that tunnel opened on a more permanent basis, making a quick walk for students to the main campus.
This part of town is quickly turning into a student housing mecca. Thousands of student beds in arguably the hottest intown development market of the southeast.

Old Posted Today, 3:52 PM

Quote:
My guess is probably a number of factors.

1. Zoning that's more accomodating.

2. Developments east of the connector have a proven track record of being successful from a ROI stand point (basically a sheeple effect). It's the same reasons developer continue to squeeze projects into the overdeveloped northern suburbs instead of considering the southern suburbs that have cheaper land.

Old Posted Today, 4:02 PM

Construction updates from the Midtown Alliance:

Old Posted Today, 4:22 PM
Urban Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
My guess is probably a number of factors.

2. Developments east of the connector have a proven track record of being successful from a ROI stand point (basically a sheeple effect). It's the same reasons developer continue to squeeze projects into the overdeveloped northern suburbs instead of considering the southern suburbs that have cheaper land.

A 20+ story condo just started construction in West Midtown so I do not necessarily agree with this factor.

Developers don't have a proven track record with developments on the on the east side of the Connector/Midtown. The recent spat of luxury student housing developments have only occurred in the last 3 - 4 years. None of these projects have been through a negative economic cycle where less people go to college and those that do chose more affordable housing options. Most importantly, the Student Loan business is ready to crash. The days of students applying and getting unlimited loans is quickly ending. If I was a prudent developer, I would not be targeting student housing projects in the most expensive areas in Metro ATL. I would target the areas adjacent to the most popular and expensive area of Metro ATL or West Midtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations