HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 8:39 PM

The Mayor's office in San Bernardino is attempting to coordinate all the owners of existing real estate within the city, including that in the thriving Riverfront District, to match the repositioning strategy by reinvesting in their properties, especially the office space on the western side of Hospitality Lane.

Quote:
But after a decade of building shopping centers and office buildings, the area is built out. City officials have shifted their focus from new developments to working with existing property owners located from Waterman Avenue west to D Street in an effort to revitalize aging office buildings and retail space.

Morris said the mayor's office was trying to pull together property owners to reinvest in their properties and reinvent the western area to take advantage of an expansion of rapid bus service that stretches north to downtown and then to the University Park area of San Bernardino. He said by repositioning the western end of Hospitality Lane it would create a new market for retailers looking to attract rapid-transit commuters and consumers from other areas of the city.
http://www.inlandsocal.com/business/...e.33f473c.html

This thinking actually reflects a suggestion I made to the public-art consultant for sbX and at one of the public charrettes. I believe that the area where Hospitality Lane meets E Street needs a high-profile focal point, like a column, a large fountain, or an obelisk, at the termination of the westward and southward vistas and that the unappealing commercial building at this axial shift needs a new mix of retail, an open square, and a pedestrian orientation. At the moment, that area just seems to suck the life from Hospitality Lane, and the lack of anything interesting at this important place keeps westbound motorists from traveling northward on E Street.

I also insisted that the bridge over the Santa Ana River be reimagined. At the very least, a series of well-designed and colorful banners lining the roadway would make the structure more distinctive and would help soften all the concrete that seems to dominate that space.

The City of San Bernardino needs to improve access to the Santa Ana River, as well. The addition of the Santa Ana River Trail is good, but people need to be able to reach the wetlands, themselves, especially where the mid-rise buildings overlook the water and the wildlife.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 8:46 PM

SanBAG has just posted a long-range plan for premium transit (rail and B.R.T) and transit-oriented development in the San Bernardino Valley that shows the multimodal station in San Bernardino's city center as the terminus for the southern San Bernardino County East-West corridor (San Bernardino Avenue) of sbX. That system, indicated on the map by the purple line, would join the northern East-West corridor running along Route 66 in providing service to and from the L.A. County and Orange County lines.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 10:17 PM

Looks good. BTW, you've been posting nice photos, Pragmatic!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 10:44 PM
Ascension

Clearly you know your stuff. The IE will be pretty interesting in the coming decade.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:59 PM
Registered San Diegan

Very interesting. San Bern and the IE are planning things right. Lets just see how much of this gets done.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedpez View Post
I live about 25 miles west of San Bernardino in Upland. It's always amazed me that the county seat was so lackluster and seemingly underdeveloped...
I've only been to downtown San Bernardino once, about 6 years ago or so, just because I was curious and had never been there before. I thought it was a depressing place, with seemingly no economy; I saw lots of vacant storefronts and boarded-up windows. I thought downtown Riverside, though kind of sleepy the two times I've been there, had a way more vibrant atmosphere with more of an economy (relatively speaking). Of course most of the activity in downtown Riverside was around the Mission Hotel.

Good luck to San Bernardino and its ambitious plans.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 3:47 PM

The old downtown of San Bernardino has not been able to compete very well against the Riverfront District where gobs of Class A office space was added over the last couple of decades.

San Bernardino has relatively low vacancy rates, but of the empty office space there, almost all of it is concentrated in the center of the city.

The city center does have a sizable daytime population, mostly due to all of the major government buildings, including the CalTrans high-rise, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Social Security Administration. And, the County of San Bernardino will make those numbers even more impressive by consolidating operations to realize cost savings and to reduce automobile travel.

EDAW's market analysis found that 5% of these employees are likely to relocate to new residential offerings in the city center where they will not have to use a car to commute.

There are several financial institutions in the city center, as well, even though the Riverfront District now has more.

Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; Sep 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 6:39 PM
Downtowner

I hate to say this, but all of these great plans will stay just that, plans. I grew up in Redlands and worked during college throughout San Berdu as a bilingual teacher's aide, and I have to tell you SB is the most depressing, crime ridden, economically challenged place in California. The only way these plans will come to fruition is if the great earthquake destroys the place and they start completely over.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 6:54 PM
FlyyyFALiiFe

I think San Bernardino is destined to become a center. However, I don't know that it'll out pace Ontario or Riverside. I've said this before, much to the disagreement of other forumers, that the greater Los Angeles area is decentralized. With increasing connections like High Speed Rail, new airports and other means of public transportation, it's inevitable. San Bernardino, Riverside and Ontario will establish themselves as strong nodes of the Greater Los Angeles area. To support this theory, in a period of about 30 years the Inland Empire has exploded adding over 3 million new residents and has become the 3rd largest metropolitain area in the state, 14th in the nation. What are the next 30 years to bring? Could this have been imagined for cow farms just 30 years back? What I see is the IE struggling with LA as LA struggles with NY. NY will probably always hold the title of being the single largest economic center in the US, while LA is brushed aside as the new comer and left to feel insecure. The IE is that to LA. However, nothing diminishes the value of LA, or, for that matter, the IE. What is certain though is that people will purposefully blind themselves to what's brewing to the east of their very own back yards and speak nonsenses when facts clearly don't support their views. That said, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ontario, Corona, and Fontana have but one way to go and that would be completely consistent with LA growth patterns. Their pasts leading to their current states are an indication of what's to come in the future. In the long term we can expect the same from Palmdale/Lancaster, Victorville, Temecula, and quite possibly even Palm Springs. At that time I'd expect that IE'ers will be in doubt of that happening much like Angelino's currently feel about the IE. Will we be alive to see this? Who knows. But I can assure you guys that nobody imagined Toyota would have a huge plant in Fontucky. We didn't imagine LA putting it's name on Ontario Airport, nor did we imagine a Chino Hills. And this is what most people thought just a short 30 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 9:18 PM

Yes, LA will always be the "second city" when it comes to economic growth, but it might gain almost as much recognition as NY as it continues to develop a transportation infrastructure and rely less on it's freeways.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 2:16 AM

LA may be second in population in the US, but I feel that it doesn't play "second fiddle" to any other city; I think Angelenos have stopped comparing themselves to New Yorkers long ago. LA does its own thing, I think it has long ago shed its "insecurity."

If there are "Angelenos" who compare LA to other cities, it's the transplants.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 11:51 AM

According to SanBAG's conception of the future East-West sbX routes, the proposed corridors would link the following destinations to San Bernardino's city center:

The New Sam J. Racadio Library & Environmental Learning Center

Mount San Gorgonio, Tallest in Southern California, and Mount San Bernardino

San Manuel Village, a New Mixed-Use Project Including Retail and Office Space, plus a Hotel

Multi-use Bridle Paths at Harrison Mountain

Highland Square

Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; Sep 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:04 PM

Beattie Planetarium

1938 Auditorium

San Bernardino Valley College of Liberal Arts

The Colton Museum at the 1908 Carnegie Building

Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; Sep 17, 2009 at 8:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
I hate to say this, but all of these great plans will stay just that, plans. I grew up in Redlands and worked during college throughout San Berdu as a bilingual teacher's aide, and I have to tell you SB is the most depressing, crime ridden, economically challenged place in California. The only way these plans will come to fruition is if the great earthquake destroys the place and they start completely over.
I'm not sure if you've read the entire thread, but half of these projects are underway as we speak. Tens of billions of dollars of public and private investment have either already been spent, or they're in the pipeline.

A few years ago, I would have definitely agreed with you that the old downtown of San Bernardino was a lost cause. City politicians had a history of what prominent local economist, John Husing, called "Hail Mary" passes that resulted in a professional baseball stadium, multiplex cinemas, and several giant festivals, including this week's annual Route 66 Rendez-vous. No one bothered, it seemed, to invest in a master plan that could guide developers and give them the certainty they need to do their thing. But, the Mayor's office, the Economic Development Agency, and a majority of the Common Council, are much more competent, sophisticated, and professional now. The Mayor, in particular, understands business and the proper, supportive role of government much better than his predecessors ever did. And, surrounding municipalities, including Redlands, understand, too, that the urban core of the region needs to be fixed.

Everyone has an interest in seeing the urban core put back into balance in order for the San Bernardino metroplex to become the engine of economic growth for the State that this area surely can be. The current demographics and image problems are only ephemeral if the relatively-simple flaws in the built environment are solved. So, the focus of the plan is on making improvements to the public realm and not on developing property. Realizing the highest standards in construction and design is essential to the strategy, so quality is being emphasized over quantity. Having said that, there are already students living in new student housing on the campus of American Sports University, which is located on several blocks between 5th and 3rd Streets, right in the city center. San Bernardino State University and Loma Linda University both have plans underway to add their own student and faculty housing developments to the area in order to create the "superuniversity" campus that will come on-line with the completion of sbX in late 2011. Farther West along what is now 4th Street are three new housing developments for retirees, and two more will open in the next couple of years. Another high-rise residential building for empty-nesters exists, at present, a block North of Theatre Square and just South of the existing central library and lecture hall. A grocery anchor currently exists between these developments and is doing very well; however, it will be remodeled and repositioned with a new mix of surrounding retail. American Sports University currently operates a complete gym that is available to the general public on Court Street and Arrowhead Avenue, and that facility will be enhanced and eventually replaced. Additionally, a new state courts complex is being added to the existing county courts complex, which will be replaced, freeing the existing courthouse for adaptive reuse as the termination of the vista along the proposed Heritage Row (currently Court Street). The world-class Robert V. Fullerton Museum of Art and Antiquities is likely to also be moved from its present location to the city center.

Theatre Square, itself, encompasses the California Theatre, which is active almost every night. I saw the touring production of "The Producers" there a couple of months ago, and it was among the best theatrical experiences I've ever had. Additionally, the California serves as the host venue for the San Bernardino Symphony, which, under the direction of Maestro Carlo Ponti, celebrated its 80th anniversary last season. And, about a month ago, the Mighty Wurlitzer organ, one of only eight ever made and the only one still in the venue for which said organ was constructed, was heard for the first time in generations after a long restoration process as part of "An Evening with Harold and Will," a screening of two Silent Era films starring Harold Lloyd and Will Rogers with personal reminiscences by the respective granddaughter and great-granddaughter of both. The California Theatre also recently added to its exterior an animated program of new color-changing L.E.D. floodlights and searchlights that provide a sample of how the rest of Theatre Square will feel. You can see a short video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pragmat...st/3343368552/

The cinemas already exist, but they are being remodeled. And, new architecture will make them more distinctive. Maya will open them in time for the 2009 holiday season and will finish construction of the two new IMAX screens soon afterward. A couple of the auditoria in the previous configuration will be converted to street-level retail while the new restaurants, the upper-level theatre bar, and the additional retail buildings around the forecourt and along the two new streets are all Maya's projects. Across the street, the Art Deco Woolworth building has been refurbished and The International Culinary School at the Art Institute of California will move and expand its existing restaurant to that location in order to create an iconic new establishment at street level. The two existing parking terraces serving the Theatre Square will also be improved with the southernmost structure wrapped with street-level retail and theatre-view lofts. Adjacent to the California Theatre are more existing buildings that have been vacated specifically to allow for upper-floor nightclubs and street-level retail. On the city side of things, Fourth Street will be re-branded, narrowed, and made more pedestrian-friendly as the new freeway on- and off-ramps divert traffic to Fifth Street, which is to become one of the two main East-West arterial greenways.

Besides sbX, 2012 will also see the opening of the new multimodal transit station. An international design competition began several months ago, and San Bernardino wants a robust architectural statement for this anchor project. That year will also see the opening of the Metrolink extension. All of its track improvements have already been completed, and everything is in place right now.

Beyond the investments being made by agencies like CalTrans in this plan, San Bernardino is, additionally, making more prodigious use of tax-increment financing, special-assessment districts, and other such instruments, including some ground-breaking innovations, to fund capital improvements to the public realm.

Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:07 PM

Incidentally, San Bernardino is a huge city, geographically, so, if you look at crime rates within the city, they are concentrated in very specific areas.

Mayor Patrick Morris was invited by President Barack Obama to the White House just last week, specifically to tell Administration officials how San Bernardino was able to produce such a dramatic drop in crime in the last three years. The answer lies in the Mayor's research-driven and multi-faceted Operation Phoenix program that targets areas that drain city services and provides alternatives for the 16 to 18-year-old males who commit most crimes.

The Mayor recently gave a television interview to KABC about the strategy and its results: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6975309

Much of the problem with the old downtown stems from an improper management of perceptions. For example, when the CinemaStar theatres originally opened, Fourth Street was being used as an Omnitrans transit mall that was filled with impoverished, transit-dependent people waiting to transfer from one bus to another. So, cinema patrons had to negotiate a virtual gauntlet of poverty to get to where they wanted to go. By moving this transfer point to a different part of the city and by balancing the existing bus system with new modes that appeal to higher-income and higher-education passengers, the overall mix is intended to solve the problems.

Perhaps, more importantly, the principles of crime prevention through environmental design are being used to activate the streets and to keep eyes on the streets 24 hours a day. And, simple other techniques like putting police officers on bicycles, instead of in cars, are another extension of this new pedestrian orientation. San Bernardino is not the only city that has had to deal with a decaying inner city, so the same strategies that have been used elsewhere will, over time, work to put the urban core back into balance.

Big cities tend to have crime and other societal problems because of the sociological phenomenon of deindividuation whereby residents feel anonymous, so the new San Bernardino is being planned as a collection of self-contained urban villages that promote community and a sense of place and that each have their own personalities.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:20 PM

The strategic-opportunity areas are identified in the "Compass Blueprint" analysis.

http://www.compassblueprint.org

The 2% Strategy proposes increasing the region's mobility by:

•Encouraging transportation investments and land use decisions that are mutually supportive
•Locating new housing near existing jobs and new jobs near existing housing
•Encouraging transit-oriented development
•Promoting a variety of travel choices

The livability of our communities can be enhanced by:

•Promoting in-fill development and redevelopment to revitalize existing communities
•Promoting developments which provide a mix of uses
•Promoting "people-scaled," walkable communities
•Supporting the preservation of stable neighborhoods

Our prosperity will be enabled by:

•Providing a variety of housing types in each community to meet the housing needs of all income levels
•Supporting educational opportunities that promote balanced growth
•Ensuring environmental justice regardless of race, ethnicity or income class
•Supporting local and state fiscal policies that encourage balanced growth
•Encouraging civic engagement

We can promote sustainability for future generations by:

•Developing strategies to accommodate growth that use resources efficiently, and minimize pollution and greenhouse gas emissions
•Preserving rural, agricultural, recreational and environmentally sensitive areas
•Focusing development in urban centers and existing cities
•Using "green" development techniques

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:06 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
Riverside is making progress. The Inland Empire over the next decade is going to look very different, and everyone seems to realize that the population growth here needs to be managed in a much more sophisticated way than it has been in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Orange Counties
Well I am glad to see these ambitious plans but population growth in the inland empire has been the least sophisticated. The region has been the worst offender of sprawl in all of CA. I am glad to see the entire area wise up.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:27 PM

IconRPCV:

Quote:
I hate to say this, but all of these great plans will stay just that, plans. I grew up in Redlands and worked during college throughout San Berdu as a bilingual teacher's aide, and I have to tell you SB is the most depressing, crime ridden, economically challenged place in California.
Have you been to Stockton?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Well I am glad to see these ambitious plans but population growth in the inland empire has been the least sophisticated. The region has been the worst offender of sprawl in all of CA. I am glad to see the entire area wise up.
I only say that because there's hardly a square inch left in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Orange Counties left for greenfield development.

All of southern California has been harmed by the freeway system and by the destructive development patterns it gave us. But, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties have the chance to intervene while the coastal counties simply don't have that luxury.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 7:23 AM

Last Monday, CalTrans and SanBAG held the groundbreaking ceremony for Phases 3 and 4 of the expansion and modernization of the 215 freeway. Phase 2 is still in progress.

The undertaking will excavate land for the San Bernardino Valley Municipal Water District's 53.7-acre South lake project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations