HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:21 PM

New theory: those frosted panels may not be as opaque as they appear. Check out these images, captured from the webcam:

If you look closely, you can see the inner wall under construction, through the third level (from the bottom), in that image (the one with the orange ladder). The first two levels are completed, so you just see the wall, through the glass. The top level has no inner aluminum wall studs, so you don't see anything. If that's the case, then the "dead space" is actually usable as a rectangular, roughly 6'x3' space (even if not particularly practical or useful).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
New theory: those frosted panels may not be as opaque as they appear. Check out these images, captured from the webcam:

If you look closely, you can see the inner wall under construction, through the third level (from the bottom), in that image (the one with the orange ladder). The first two levels are completed, so you just see the wall, through the glass. The top level has no inner aluminum wall studs, so you don't see anything. If that's the case, then the "dead space" is actually usable as a rectangular, roughly 6'x3' space (even if not particularly practical or useful).
balcony storage?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:07 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
balcony storage?
That was my thought as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:10 AM

I was browsing the floor plans on
http://www.independentaustin.com/residences/ and it appears all those corners are dead space. Perhaps duct work or plumbing goes there. As for being able to see through the glass, I believe it has been installed as the green color. Framing and insulation are necessary there, so maybe the glass can be seen through slightly until they close it off.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I was browsing the floor plans on
http://www.independentaustin.com/residences/ and it appears all those corners are dead space. Perhaps duct work or plumbing goes there. As for being able to see through the glass, I believe it has been installed as the green color. Framing and insulation are necessary there, so maybe the glass can be seen through slightly until they close it off.
Mystery solved - thanks! Shame they couldn't find an interior location for duct work or plumbing...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:40 PM

I would find that a really odd place for ductwork or plumbing, mostly because it doesn’t span the full height of the building due to the varying floor plates. Also I would think the temperature variations of an outside wall (or windowed wall) wouldn’t be desirable.

Somewhere in the main core of the building would make more sense.

I thought maybe those corner balcony walls were structural, since they have those temporary support rods in even after the floor is mostly complete. But they look like just regular interior walls.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I would find that a really odd place for ductwork or plumbing, mostly because it doesn’t span the full height of the building due to the varying floor plates. Also I would think the temperature variations of an outside wall (or windowed wall) wouldn’t be desirable.

Somewhere in the main core of the building would make more sense.

I thought maybe those corner balcony walls were structural, since they have those temporary support rods in even after the floor is mostly complete. But they look like just regular interior walls.
I think some of them are structural. I believe that I saw concrete support walls/beams (on the corners) before the glass went up around them.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:39 AM

The Independent invited KXAN over for a tour and a fluff piece:

http://kxan.com/2017/11/28/kxan-tour...lest-building/

From the article:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:08 PM

All that picture makes me think is "man, 5th and West is going to have really great views from that diagonal angle."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 3:38 AM

[IMG]dwtwn (3 of 11) by partyboyrrock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:28 AM
Meh

Cool pic. It looks like Third + Shoal will have to do a crane jump soon, maybe this weekend?

Were you flying your drone this evening over the river around 7ish? We were driving home across the I-35 bridge and someone was hovering a drone above the river tonight.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Cool pic. It looks like Third + Shoal will have to do a crane jump soon, maybe this weekend?
Yup. It's scheduled for this weekend for both cranes.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=2037906

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Were you flying your drone this evening over the river around 7ish? We were driving home across the I-35 bridge and someone was hovering a drone above the river tonight.
I was down there around noon. Would like to get some sunset shots or night shots. I just dont want to deal with the traffic to get there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 10:42 AM

With those glass pieces that everyone was talking about. It looks like they are a different finish and there are walls behind some of them. You can see in my pic that some are more solid looking in their color with something behind the glass.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 8:54 PM

The opaque windows do stand out quite a bit, but they won't be nearly as contrasting or noticeable once the building is occupied and people have shades in various stages of closing.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
The opaque windows do stand out quite a bit, but they won't be nearly as contrasting or noticeable once the building is occupied and people have shades in various stages of closing.
I think they will be...the normal glass is highly reflective and so I'm thinking you probably won't notice much behind the glass from afar during the day.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:39 PM

Well, if we look at the completed buildings in this picture, the shades are clearly visible, for example, in the Seaholm building:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:05 PM

You can now see it (barely) poking above Northshore from 35 over town lake.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:08 PM
Meh

It's really starting to show up around a few spots in South Austin around my neighborhood. I can also now see the crane from the top of the street one street over from mine, which is just amazing. I doubt the building will show up on my street because of the tree canopy, but just one street over it will totally show up from that street, plus the two other streets over from there. I could also see the Austonian from the bottom of my street for a while until some new houses were built across Stassney. And I can see the spire and roof of the Fairmont 3 streets over from mine, but that's only going to be a seasonal view when the trees drop their leaves. The sign even shows up pretty good from that spot.n Plus, there are about another dozen buildings I can see in and around my neighborhood.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 5:27 AM
Keep It Weird

The way it looks is that those stripes are an accent or piping sort of visual. I think it was intentional but reliant on the covering other less attractive aspects. I think they're OK and don't mess up the overall artistry of the building. The guys who designed and detailed this building had thought it over fairly well and it is going to look great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin