HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:36 AM
urbanphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ Does SF zoning allow for the transfer of air rights to other properties? Perhaps the underused portion of this property can be used by another development nearby.
No, we don't do that here.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:06 AM

5M - I'm digging this project - Some additional information,renderings, and presentation were posted on SocketSite today:

Quote:
Spanning a 4-acre South of Market site bounded by Mission, Fifth, Howard and Mary, Forest City’s latest designs for the 5M Project include roughly 700 new residences (down from 1,200); 760,000 square feet of net new office space; 152,000 square feet of new ground floor retail, educational and cultural uses; and 34,000 square feet of open space, not including the proposed conversion of Mary Street, between Mission and Minna, into a pedestrian-only alley.
Source/Post

Source

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 AM
She needs her space

^^^I created a separate thread for that, as well as two other projects that are moving along.

SAN FRANCISCO | 5M DEVELOPMENT | 470, 400, 200, AND 174 FT | 40 FLOORS

SAN FRANCISCO | 10 S VAN NESS | 400 FT | 40 FLOORS

SAN FRANCISCO | 1500-1580 MISSION STREET | 400 + 258 FT | 40 AND 17 FLOORS

I have asked mods to retitle them to all caps and sticky them to the San Francisco page for us to have easy access.

Additionally, I want to call attention to a few other developments in the Mid-Market/Van Ness corridor area.

1. Tower Car Wash Site

source

Trumark working through plans to raze and build condos.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...two-three.html

Quote:
As referenced by J.K. Dineen a few weeks ago, Trumark Urban has been working on plans to raze the Tower Car Wash and gas station on the southwest corner of Mission and South Van Ness and build around 200 condos over retail on the triangular site, with a building reaching up to 120 feet in height.

Plans to construct a high-rise residential building on the corner date back over 25 years, when a proposal to develop a 500-unit building across the 1601 Mission Street site and its adjacent parcels was floated. Instead, the then Firestone tire shop on the corner was converted into the car wash and 140 South (Van Ness) was eventually constructed on the parcel next door, with 212 condos over a bit of retail space.

2. A&M Carpets site

source

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ket-hotel.html

Quote:
Zoned for a tower to rise up to 250 feet in height and the development of high-density residential, offices, retail or a hotel, the three corner parcels at the intersection of Otis and 12th Streets, including the two-story A&M Carpets building at 98 12th Street and the three-story building at 14 Otis next door, have just hit the market.

Plans for developing the site have yet to be drafted or filed with the city, but with plans to develop the Tower Car Wash site to the south, the Goodwill site to the east, and the Honda site to the north in the works, the offering touts opportunity and a rapidly expanding “Mid-Market” local.

3. Franklin and Page development

source

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ing-nixed.html

Quote:
Originally approved for development in 2010 but never having broken ground, the variance needed for the proposed 8-story development to rise as designed on the current parking lot parcel at 1 Franklin Street has since expired but the plans have been dusted off and the developer, JS Sullivan, will likely be granted a new variance next week.

The Market-Octavia development includes 35 condos over 2,700 square feet of ground floor retail space at the intersection of Franklin and Page.

And while originally proposed to be built with 18 parking spaces for auots in an underground garage, Forum Design’s design has been refined to include a storage room for 35 bikes, and a little more retail, but not a single car.

Honestly, I'm all for little to no parking. However, I AM worried that more and more issues will arise. SF doesn't have truly excellent transportation. Also, to own costs $1M+++. As other posters have mentioned, if I had a million(s) to spend on a home, I would like to own and be able to conveniently and safely store a car.

Perhaps there is a phantom market that exists where people are able to sell or rent out their parking spots, but I do know that many HOAs and virtually all apartment building owners do not like non-residents parking vehicles in their buildings. The City has been getting rid of or meterizing street parking. Meanwhile, transportation has arguably deteriorated as the strain of additional people without additional improvements to transit have made riding buses and trains a hassle - a hassle that doesn't run cross town (i.e. N-S) very effectively if at all, and a hassle that doesn't run 24 hour or late night.

Meanwhile, where is the market for garage operators? At some point, as in Manhattan, there will come a demand for garages to store vehicles. But will SF allow it? Will it even be feasible considering current pricing and fees? The only stackers I see in the city are in SOMA, however, there really should be mechanized garages to store people's cars.

Thoughts? Am I way off base in my thinking? (FTR, I live in the city, carless - I don't own one).

In other interesting news, back in August the CA 1st District Court of Appeals overturned an appeal of 3 years (after the SF Board of Supes already approved the plan)/

Designed by SOM, 20 year development scheme. 5,700 new housing units.

Current

source

Redeveloped

source

Not surprisingly, back in 2011, Supes Kim, Alvaros, and Campos were among the 5 dissenting votes. [Now Kim wants more housing in the Sunset so I wonder if she has changed her tunes]

RECENTLY, a group of New York investors has purchased a majority stake in Parkmerced, the sprawling housing complex on San Francisco's West Side that is slated for a multibillion-dollar revitalization, in a deal that values the property at more than $1.3 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Eastdil sold FIG and Rockpoint Group's interest stakes in a deal that values the entire existing complex at $1.3Bn. The new development group is being led by Mark Karasick of 601w.

From the Chron:

Quote:
A group of New York investors has given it a big vote of confidence by acquiring a majority stake in a deal said to value the 152-acre residential complex at more than $1.35 billion.

The deal, reported in Wednesday’s Wall Street Journal, comes one week after the California Supreme Court gave the go-ahead to build 5,679 rentals alongside the existing 3,221 rent-controlled units, capping off an often-bitter three-year legal fight against critics of the plan.

“It means (the project) has successfully recapitalized and now is poised for an incredible future,” said Parkmerced spokesman P.J. Johnston.

The development, bordering Lake Merced and San Francisco State University, is now clear to break ground next fall in the first phase of what is expected to be a 20-year project.

So, while it’s been a long time coming, it still has a ways to go.

“The speed won’t be impacted — we’re still set for a series of four phases. But with the finances in order and the legal challenges behind us, the path is clear,” said Johnston.
Biz & Tech

Heading the team of investors is Mark Karasick, managing partner of 601w, a New York real estate investment and development firm that has bought and sold residential and office buildings throughout the country. That includes the former Bank of America tower at 555 California St. in San Francisco, which Karasick acquired for $813 million in 2004 and sold 18 months later for $1.06 billion, according to the firm’s website.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Karasick’s group invested nearly $200 million for “more than a 70 percent stake” in Parkmerced’s owner, Parkmerced Investors Properties, a group led by New York real estate investor Robert Rosania, and including San Francisco’s Fortress and Boston’s Rockport Group.
source

I personally think that Pier 70, Park Merced, Hunter's Point, and Candlestick Point each deserve their own thread. These are some of the largest redevelopment projects in the country, and all are progressing.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:12 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Thumbs up

Good job all the way around Simms! It's great to have separate threads too.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
3. Franklin and Page development

source

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ing-nixed.html

Honestly, I'm all for little to no parking. However, I AM worried that more and more issues will arise. SF doesn't have truly excellent transportation. Also, to own costs $1M+++. As other posters have mentioned, if I had a million(s) to spend on a home, I would like to own and be able to conveniently and safely store a car.

Perhaps there is a phantom market that exists where people are able to sell or rent out their parking spots, but I do know that many HOAs and virtually all apartment building owners do not like non-residents parking vehicles in their buildings. The City has been getting rid of or meterizing street parking. Meanwhile, transportation has arguably deteriorated as the strain of additional people without additional improvements to transit have made riding buses and trains a hassle - a hassle that doesn't run cross town (i.e. N-S) very effectively if at all, and a hassle that doesn't run 24 hour or late night.
Even though it's a relatively small project, I'm really glad to see this one moving forward. Every time I'd pass that parking lot while riding the 6 or 71, it just seemed so out of place and underutilized. The parking lot frequently has garbage on it and the neighboring building walls are a graffiti magnet. Knowing that there were stalled plans for the site just made it more frustrating to look at the current parking crater.

I was amused to see so much griping on SocketSite about the lack of parking. People will complain regardless of how much parking is provided in new developments. I'm personally not worried about it too much since potential owners there will self-select for the lack of parking. It's only a block from Van Ness and Market, and living without a car is so much easier today than just a couple of years ago given the rise of Uber, Sidecar, etc.

If nixing the underground parking makes the project more viable and speeds up the construction timeline, then I'm all for it. The building's design is nothing special, but I'm just excited to see another parking lot bite the dust.

P.S. Thanks for the new threads!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 12:22 AM
dazzle me

yeah, the pro-parking radicals on socketsite are something else. it's not even very useful these days to read the comments, unlike a few years ago when you'd sometimes find little tidbits of info or whatever. that site was discovered by the sfgate set and they never looked back.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 7:33 PM

I'm personally not worried about it too much since potential owners there will self-select for the lack of parking. It's only a block from Van Ness and Market, and living without a car is so much easier today than just a couple of years ago given the rise of Uber, Sidecar, etc.

If nixing the underground parking makes the project more viable and speeds up the construction timeline, then I'm all for it. The building's design is nothing special, but I'm just excited to see another parking lot bite the dust.
[/QUOTE]

Don't forget short term vehicle use providers like CityCarShare and ZipCar. I would like to see more of the larger developers have spots for those communal services rather than private car storage.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 8:13 PM

Cost of owning a car in SF I would guess is around $1,000 month, including car payments, insurance, garage payment, maintenance, gas. How much would city car share or uber cost? I'm guessing not nearly as much. I like seeing car-less developments. It makes those of us that drive into the city have less traffic to deal with :p

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 11:29 PM

Back when I sold auto insurance I wrote an auto policy for a homeless guy in San Francisco. His auto premium was only $45 a month.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 6:51 AM
heavy user of walkability

more thanks for the new threads, simms! appreciate the time and effort that went into those.

here are a couple looks at the sidewalk around 3rd and Folsom, now that the fencing there is mostly down. definitely will be a more pleasant experience with the added walking space, and I hope whatever goes in there will also help activate the street. anyway, looking south (there is a little plaza just off to the left of the shot):

and north:

jumping down to Brannan, here is future DropBox, with 345 Brannan now above sidewalk level:

72 Townsend coming along...

and a few shots of the demolition at 144 King, which will be a 12-story hotel - the lot itself:

with its neighbors (Pedro's Cantina is on the right in the shot; T streetcar stop in foreground; AT&T Park right behind the camera, invisible. there is a little alleyway that goes through to Townsend St just to the left of the site - would be nice if this development took it into account and was able to make it more active and pleasant as a mid-block crossing):

and in context. will rise between the taller building in the distance and the shorter one on the right. at 12 stories, it would rise about 3 floors above the taller building, and add some nice height variation to the block

Last edited by timbad; Nov 30, 2014 at 7:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 12:16 AM
dazzle me

Nice shots! Man, that whole central soma area anchored by yb/convention center is just on this awesome track. The Fischer addition at sf moma, the convention center expantion/reno, the Mexican museum Jessie square build out, 5m, the new pedestrian lane by spur/chs, the huge Folsom street redo coming up, plus at least 200 trees to be planted. Another 1960s planning failure slowly being corrected, before our eyes.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 12:44 AM
Build Baby Build

11/25

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 7:13 PM
dazzle me

a small update on the cmpc medical building set to rise opposite the new hospital (on the 3/4 block between polk and van ness):

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...b-vanness.html

1) to start construction 1st quarter 2015 for a late 2018 finish;
2) 6 levels for the underground carpark but only 383 spaces, is this right? this is as opposed to the nearly 1000 proposed at the outset. maybe they see employees arriving via the van ness and geary brt lines that *should* be operational by then (edit: ah, maybe the 990 or whatever spaces was over the two blocks, which would makes sense considering that this is about 250k sqft on about 40% of a city block and the hospital is a full city block, so it could be absorbing the other 600 spaces);
3) cpmc is moving on it with a couple equity partners, including some chicago group and pacific medical from sd:

Half of the medical office space is pre-leased to CPMC and the Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation for physician offices and ambulatory care medical uses. Independent private physicians practices will lease the remaining 50 percent. The new medical office space will be connected to the main hospital via a pedestrian tunnel that will run underneath Van Ness Avenue... Sutter will own and operate the six-level subterranean parking structure.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 5:38 PM

100 Van Ness is nearing the finish line. They have a marketing site up: http://100vanness.com/

According to Curbed, the first move-ins will be in February:

Quote:
Construction is still under way (crews will finish the lower units first and work their way up), but leasing kicked off just before Thanksgiving.

Studios, which will range between 439 and 484 square feet, will set renters back at minimum $2,600. One-bedrooms (628-849 square feet) start in the $3,100s. Meanwhile, more spacious two-bedrooms crack the $4,400 mark, with somewhere between 984 and 1126 square feet.

According to the developers, the model units are complete and will be open soon. First move-ins are expected to begin in February.

100 Van Ness by sirgious, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:12 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
100 Van Ness is nearing the finish line. They have a marketing site up: http://100vanness.com/

According to Curbed, the first move-ins will be in February:

100 Van Ness by sirgious, on Flickr
Who among us shall be first? Why me of course. Moving in 100 van ness in Feb, moving out of NEMA. Already gave my security deposit.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 7:28 PM

100 Van Ness Avenue - Update

Minesweeper - thanks for the update.
fimiak - congratulations - we look forward to pictures!

I watched 100 Van Ness Avenue being built from the roof of the Fox Plaza & very happy to see it remodeled & made into apartments. As nice as it is to have a rooftop garden I think it will not be too useful unless there are barriers to keep wind away.

The Fox Plaza has a small deck on the roof & it was useful as long as one was below the at chin height wall. The wind was almost always fierce above the wall. 100 Van Ness is a higher building & I would suspect the wind will be even stronger there. I look forward to hearing about the experience at 100 Van Ness Ave. The Fox Plaza deck was closed due to vandalism about 25 years ago much to my dismay. Because of the building's shadow I could go there at night and see the stars!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 9:13 PM

fimiak - what was your reason for moving from NEMA to 100 Market? Feel free to PM since this isn't really on topic.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Cost of owning a car in SF I would guess is around $1,000 month, including car payments, insurance, garage payment, maintenance, gas. How much would city car share or uber cost? I'm guessing not nearly as much. I like seeing car-less developments. It makes those of us that drive into the city have less traffic to deal with :p
A little late, but I own a car and estimate that my monthly cost is no more than $250. I own my car, have bare bones insurance (less than $50 a month), and street parking is FREE where I live with no 2 hour limit or neighborhood pass (Ashbury Heights/Buena Vista area). It really only gets used on the weekends as I bike to work and my spouse takes Muni so gas is never more than $100 a month. The only other expenses are maintenance, which is pretty high as it is now 8 years old, and parking tickets which I get maybe once a quarter.

I get that having an under utilized car like this doesn't make me popular with some folks but muni really isn't a viable option for all my needs and zip car/uber is more expensive and less convenient.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:47 PM
Build Baby Build

http://100vanness.com/ Really nice amenities and a great rooftop view. As NEMA is raising my rent 15% in one year, the rates are also preferable. In another year+ I will just move on to the next new development. I also considered places like Mosso and Vida.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:28 PM

Is it me, or is that view on the 100 van ness page incredibly weird?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations