HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:28 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Man...that is some painful architecture.
care to elaborate?

seems to have a pretty good presence on the street, particularly the last view.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:32 PM

Birmingham is FULL of brick architecture, so maybe they think this design will somewhat fit into our surroundings here. I know I heard them say they wanted to change the design to fit Birmingham. But again, I would bet this design is very very preliminary. Personally, I don't find it to be HORRIBLE, but certainly they could do better.

I'm just anxious to see something happen with this whole plan. There are probably a whole lot of anxious developers sitting to the side waiting to establish developments of their own (hotels, retail, residential, etc) on the heels of this development.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:14 PM

Alabama Adventure may get incentives for hotel
Posted by Birmingham News staff April 23, 2007 1:00 PM

Jefferson County Commission will set a public hearing for next month to discuss a $2.5 million economic development agreement with Alabama Adventure.

Plans are under way to build a 280-room hotel with an indoor water park and a 320-site campground near the theme park in Bessemer.

Commissioners said at a finance committee meeting today the public hearing could be as soon as May 8.

Commissioner Jim Carns said the project went through the county's incentive review committee for comment.

"This will be a new facility. They're talking about investing $90 million and we're giving them a tax break for the first five years," Carns said. "We're not giving them upfront money. We're asking them to earn it as the project unfolds."

Charles Gargus, community relations director for Southland Entertainment Group, the California firm that owns the theme park, said the campground could be complete sometime next year.

The area will sport bathhouses, playgrounds and an ATV trail.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
Alabama Adventure may get incentives for hotel
Posted by Birmingham News staff April 23, 2007 1:00 PM

Jefferson County Commission will set a public hearing for next month to discuss a $2.5 million economic development agreement with Alabama Adventure.

Plans are under way to build a 280-room hotel with an indoor water park and a 320-site campground near the theme park in Bessemer.

Commissioners said at a finance committee meeting today the public hearing could be as soon as May 8.

Commissioner Jim Carns said the project went through the county's incentive review committee for comment.

"This will be a new facility. They're talking about investing $90 million and we're giving them a tax break for the first five years," Carns said. "We're not giving them upfront money. We're asking them to earn it as the project unfolds."

Charles Gargus, community relations director for Southland Entertainment Group, the California firm that owns the theme park, said the campground could be complete sometime next year.

The area will sport bathhouses, playgrounds and an ATV trail.
If there was ever a rise from the ashes development story in Alabama it would have to be this place. They have really turned it around and it could become one of the top tourist destinations in the south in the not too distant future.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
If there was ever a rise from the ashes development story in Alabama it would have to be this place. They have really turned it around and it could become one of the top tourist destinations in the south in the not too distant future.

I agree. There's no question it was a controversial issue. And while Langford and Co. may not have done a great job actually managing the park, there's no doubt in my mind that it was the right thing to do... something, again, more visionary. Birmingham has so few people like that anymore. I know Langford has his issues, but I like the fact that he's willing to be a bit more of a gambler. I'm willing to bet that had Langford not pushed for Visionland (now Alabama Adventure) back then, that we would not have an amusement park anywhere else in Metro Birmingham today.

The new management team has done a TREMENDOUS job. The place went from being broke to, just a few years later, announcing a multi-year $100-million expansion plan. Seems like every year they're setting attendance records. If I'm not mistaken, it was the 2nd-leading tourist attraction in the state last year (below only the Birmingham Zoo).

I think some people are getting tired of Six Flags in Atlanta for a couple reasons. That's not to say Six Flags over Georgia won't always be popular, but I think Alabama Adventure stands to gain significantly. Six Flags over Georgia is not changing and evolving as rapidly as once it was, so people have "been there, done that." Alabama Adventure, however, is a new amusement park that's adding new rides and features every year. It also has the benefit of being in a MUCH less congested area than Six Flags over Georgia. It will be some time before Alabama Adventure could compete with Six Flags over Georgia, but already, Alabama Adventure is having more of a regional draw with increasing numbers of folks from Tennessee and Mississippi visiting the park.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 7:33 PM

as far as the plans for downtown im over it. there's nothing special about that design. i always feel like birmingham is scared to try anything different.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 8:40 PM

Good stuff. Will be nice to see some life in this section of the Southside.

Quote:
University House complex to open this fall
Birmingham Business Journal - 2:01 PM CDT Monday, April 23, 2007
Lauren B. Cooper

The $20 million University House will open this fall and developers have more than 40 percent of the units preleased.

Texas-based University Partners announced in 2005 it would build, own and operate a 162-unit, 496-bed student housing development near the University of Alabama at Birmingham, at 14th Street and Third Avenue South.

The company said its one-bedroom floor plans have sold out and that response is higher than it initially projected.

While the development is close to UAB, Byrne said several students from Samford University have signed leases. Roommate matching is available for the development's two- and four-bedroom units, she said.

University House will feature streetscape, interior courtyards and a parking garage.

A similar project by the company also is underway in Baton Rouge, near Louisiana State University. According to its Web site, the company operates more than 17,000 beds in 10 states.

University Partners hopes the Birmingham project will help to further revitalize the area with additional housing and retail, said Monica Byrne, a spokeswoman for the company.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 2:54 PM

Driving down 7th Avenue today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a vacant store-front building with a "Coming Soon" sign indicating that a new, authentic Thai restaurant would open just next to the Oriental Market at the corner of 7th Avenue and 22nd Street South.

Yay for multiculturalism downtown!

Looks like it will be run as a unique place rather than a franchise. In my experience, when it comes to ethnic foods, it's these type of places that are much more authentic.

I think Surin West is the only other Thai place in Birmingham at the moment. I'll definitely give this new place a try, though, when it opens.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:03 PM
Trendy.

7th and 22nd... is that where the old Jazz Cafe used to be?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
7th and 22nd... is that where the old Jazz Cafe used to be?
Yep... same block, but not where the Jazz Cafe is. It actually will front 7th Avenue. It's fairly small, but that's understandable since it's probably a new venture. If they're successful, they might want to move down the street a little bit to a bigger building where Anthony's used to be.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 6:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
Driving down 7th Avenue today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a vacant store-front building with a "Coming Soon" sign indicating that a new, authentic Thai restaurant would open just next to the Oriental Market at the corner of 7th Avenue and 22nd Street South.

Yay for multiculturalism downtown!

Looks like it will be run as a unique place rather than a franchise. In my experience, when it comes to ethnic foods, it's these type of places that are much more authentic.

I think Surin West is the only other Thai place in Birmingham at the moment. I'll definitely give this new place a try, though, when it opens.
That's GREAT news because I love Thai food! Actually, there are two Thai places in the CBD. Surin West (Five Points South) and Surin & Company (Concord Center)--unless the latter has closed? In the burbs, there are 3 other Thai restaurants that I know of--Surin of Mountain Brook, Thai Emerald, and Taste of Thailand. Can't wait to try out this new Thai restaurant when it opens.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:01 PM
I concede

Excellent news. I can't wait to give the restaurant a try. I was finally able to get my stomach back into a place where I could eat spicy food without making soup the next day.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:06 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford View Post
That's GREAT news because I love Thai food! Actually, there are two Thai places in the CBD. Surin West (Five Points South) and Surin & Company (Concord Center)--unless the latter has closed? In the burbs, there are 3 other Thai restaurants that I know of--Surin of Mountain Brook, Thai Emerald, and Taste of Thailand. Can't wait to try out this new Thai restaurant when it opens.
just FYI if you are up this way you might like to try

http://www.phuketexperience.com/html/lunch.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:19 PM
Trendy.

Fuck it, exprience that restaurant.

har.......

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:31 PM

Quote:
just FYI if you are up this way you might like to try

http://www.phuketexperience.com/html/lunch.html
Decisions, decisions.... PORK PHRIK KHING or “POP” PHUKET ORANGE PEEL

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
Decisions, decisions.... PORK PHRIK KHING or “POP” PHUKET ORANGE PEEL
Give me the Panang Curry or Masaman Chicken Curry!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:35 AM

BTW, for anyone interested, the sign on the window said it would be opening this summer... June 8th to be precise.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:08 PM

Summit Belk to become flagship
Posted by Birmingham News staff April 25, 2007 6:14 AM
Belk and Summit settle lawsuit; store to include high-end wares

Belk Inc. plans to turn the Parisian store at the Summit into a flagship property like the retailer's SouthPark store in Charlotte and said it will expand the location by nearly half.

The plans come as the owners of the Summit and Belk settle a lawsuit that claimed the Charlotte-based retailer wasn't good enough to replace Parisian in the Birmingham shopping center.

As part of the pact, Belk Inc. agreed to make the Summit location it inherited from Parisian on par with its ritzy SouthPark Mall, which features wares by high-end designers such as Hickey Freeman, Kate Spade, Elie Tahari, Adrianna Papell, Michael Kors, Lilly Pulitzer and LaCoste.

Belk also plans to spend $10 million to add 50,000 square feet to the existing 120,000-square-foot space. The new layout will add 25,000 square feet each on the back of the first and second floors. The revamped store will include a home store, as well as expanded sections for women's shoes and accessories, said Dave Stovall, the chairman of Belk's central division who is also leading the integration of Parisian. The expansion is expected to be complete by fall 2008, he said.

"We're very excited about the opportunity that the settlement has provided," Stovall said.

Full terms of the settlement were not released. Belk's decision to expand the store was not part of the settlement, said Jeffrey Bayer, founder and principal of Bayer Properties, which owns the Summit.

The revamped Belk will be one of two former Parisian stores that will become Belk flagship stores, Bayer said. Parisian in Phipps Plaza in Atlanta is also expected to match the SouthPark Mall Belk, he said.

"Once we started the conversation with Belk it became apparent that they really did want to try to do a terrific store at the Summit," Bayer said Tuesday. He said Belk told him the three flagship stores will be "merchandised similarly."

Bayer filed the Jefferson County Circuit Court lawsuit in September following the announcement of Belk's $285 million deal to buy Parisian from Birmingham-based Saks Inc. Belk said all Parisian stores, including the ones in Birmingham, would be converted into Belk stores.

Bayer was concerned Parisian would be replaced with a moderate-price department store similar to ones operated by Belk in Alabaster, Trussville and other markets. Such a store would not be a suitable replacement for Parisian, the lawsuit said. The lease for the store contains a convenant requiring the retailer in the space to operate a "first-class retail fashion department store" for the first 15 years of a 21-year lease that began in 1996.

Bayer believes a moderate-price store would jeopardize the reputation of the Summit, which has attracted several hard-to-get retailers to the state, including Apple, Restoration Hardware, Anthropologie, Pottery Barn and Urban Outfitters.

Other retailers in the center also expressed apprehension about what kind of store Belk would bring to the Summit, Bayer said.

"We had to pay attention to their concerns. We had to continue to exhibit we were very serious" about protecting the center's reputation, he said.

"Belk knew we weren't kidding," Bayer said.

Stovall said Parisian shoppers will be surprised and excited by what the store will bring to Birmingham. The store will keep many of customers' favorite designer lines and brands, such as accessory and shoe designer Brighton, lingerie designer Wacoal, and clothing designer Lilly Pulitzer. Belk is also adding new lines, including trendy San Francisco-based Benefit Cosmetics. XMI ties -- sold at retailers such as Nordstrom -- and footwear by Spanish designer Martinez Valero will also be available at the Summit store.

On Tuesday, Belk also made available to customers a list of some of the featured designers that will be in the converted stores. "It's really all about the brands," Stovall said. The store will also retain the boutique feeling that Parisian has cultivated in its designer sections, he said.

It's too early to say what design elements the store might share with the four-story SouthPark store, which features shiny marble, sleek wood, wide aisles and elegant high-end designer displays.

But the Summit location won't have a spa or restaurant like the SouthPark store, Stovall said.
"We're going to use every square foot of space to add (merchandise) lines," he said.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:16 PM
America's Mars Rocket

well now that's good news
Hopefully Belk will carry some of that throughout it's other stores
around the state.
Great line
"Belk knew we weren't kidding," Bayer said. "

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:41 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
well now that's good news
Hopefully Belk will carry some of that throughout it's other stores
around the state.
Great line
"Belk knew we weren't kidding," Bayer said. "
I hate to say it...but that turned out to be a good lawsuit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast