HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks for the pic, I'll refine my drawing.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:23 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Are you saying I (or any other illustrator) can get into some kind of trouble for making a drawing of a proposed building?
I was just wondering. Can't really go and snap a picture of the building and renderings tend to be copyrighted. I always assumed illustrators simply asked permission in order to use the rendering as a source but I get the feeling that's not the case.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:57 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I think I understand what you're saying. I have certainly never asked anyones permission. I also don't fully understand copyright law. From what I do know about it, the image cannot be reproduced without permission. But are our diagrams reproductions? Or are they just the illustrators own take on the image? I think no matter how carefully or perfect we make our drawings, they will not be anywhere near exactly the same as the render, simply because we do not do the drawings in perspective. If anyone has a more clear explanation about this matter I'd like to hear it...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:03 PM
BANNED

IMO Koops our illustrations are free of those copyright photos or renderings laws, because we are not using them. We are just basing in a public information, while they are spread officially in public to be known and we make our own illustrations based in our talent to understand the message only.. So we are not using and reproducing such renderings or photos. We base in a well know spread info to make ours and of course, they will be never equal exactly traced off on them. It is why that is not allowed here. Otherwise the talent can not be copyrighted in transmitting the same appearance in other material. Just photos that are diagramed pixel by pixel or diagrams taken out from those photos or part of them, that are not allowed. It is much more worse the photos and renderings just cut from the owners and copied & pasted in Emporis for example.

But I think the best who can tell us about is Mike K.

Is your Equinox the same like that? http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=162755 because here says height 117m

Last edited by M.K.; Mar 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 8:12 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks MK, I'm glad to hear that you feel about the same way I do. I'm not going to worry about it unless I hear differrently.

The Equinox I submitted was based on the render, but now that I look more closely at photos of the building, it seems they are rather different from the renders, and I think I may have wasted my time. The height on the SSP database said the mechanical penthouse height may not be included. It looks like I'll have to re-make the drawing...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Well Koops. I really do not know what to do. Many of Toronto's buildings heights are so written, not considering the mechanical floor , which differs a lot of Emporis. Please if you feel comfortable, make a correction request in those buildings before you are going to draw them. I think Emporis is not the most wrong in this case and I feel you consulting emporis first to not waste your time doing illustrations in wrong way. Actually your Equinox was approved from a Canadian guy. But i am sure we have to see better in detail the information of building. This is what i recomend.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:37 AM
I am a typical

You can't create a derivative work using the rendering. But doing so would violate the diagram system's own rules about not using other people's work in your diagrams. If it was illegal, I expect someone would have spoken up about it and there would be some sort of notice, but I don't know of any such thing. Taking pictures of buildings or public art installations, while they are copyrighted, is perfectly legal and when you take that picture you own it entirely. I would think that drawing a diagram of building based on a rendering would be similar.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:25 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks vid. Like I said earlier, I'm not going to worry about it. If there was a problem with what we're doing here we would have already heard about it by now I should think.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:35 AM
I am the law!

Koops you really are a perfectionist. You're recent drawings rank among the best of all recent drawings.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:48 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks "Bob", I try to make them as good as possible. Hopefully future buildings will be even better...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:32 PM
BANNED

Well Koops, I added your fantasy tower, but i have to admit, i expected more for the design of it, like the other one... More futursimus or late-modernist thing with many setbacks, shapes and volumes. You took a not more than 30 floors common straight-up building to put as 341 m high? Seems strange the decision. Where are the 114 floors to be seen? Could you explain more about it? It is appreciated your comments. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 6:49 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I should have put more of an explanation about it on the request, sorry. My idea was that most of the units would be 3 floors high, with stairs inside each unit, and each having a 'main floor', a 'basement' and an 'upstairs'. If you look closely you can see there is a balcony on every third level, but there are windows on every level. The name I selected reflects this theme. Three 4 One isn't just the height in metres, but also means that each unit has 3 floors. There is an apartment building here in Kitchener that is like this, but I wanted something 15 times taller and more impressive. Pure fantasy of course. I didn't do the math, but I think it's likely that each of these units would be the size of a very large house, 5 or 10 thousand square feet. The price would be insane! No one would build such a tower.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Yeah, I thought about that. But if you make a kind of late-modernist house, each with 3 floors, terraces alternating from left to right, each of this 3 floor very different, and with different shape, not as vertical line and put 30 times the same this top medernist house, like Frank Lloyd Wright or other one repeated and piled up, then could be much more interesting.... My opinion. It would be much more luxurious than only one block. Inside could be great, but outside the speech this form does not reflect your mind. Should i put a description then?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 8:41 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

No, you dont have to do that. It's not all that great of a drawing. Just something I did in my spare time, and didn't really spend much time making it for that matter. I'll make more interesting ones in the future.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:20 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

My latest drawings, uploaded since Feb. 28, 2009:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 9:44 PM
I am the law!

good stuff ... really like the fesitval tower

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 PM

Wow, your new drawing of Success Tower is outstanding!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:12 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. And as of now, 9PM (eastern), Success is still pending approval... you're predicting it's going to get approved

As of now, 10PM (eastern), Success has been re-submitted after doing a few modifications...

Last edited by koops65; Mar 24, 2009 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:55 AM
Chaos Machine

Great stuff! Keep up the good diagrams! I wish I had time to draw anymore..

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:07 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks, I certainly will.
I wish you had more time too. I encourage everyone to make more drawings. And I'll do a few more Chicago buildings as well. I think I've made 2 so far...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams