HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 5:11 PM

Sitting on board United Airlines bound for Houston right now — delayed on the ground at YYC over 90 minutes … so far.

The reason, per the captain: lack of ground staff and insufficient equipment at YYC.

Delay #1: Long wait for a ground crew to come de-ice the engines at the gate.

Delay #2: Then, yet another lengthy wait for a tug to push back the plane at the gate.

Delay #3: Then, another wait at the de-icing pad… waiting for our turn.

Delay #4: The captain just said that they were told that they “ran out” of de-icing fluid at the pad … and are working to replenish it.

The United captain has expressed pretty strong frustration with their ground service and with YYC’s facilities during his many apologies to the cabin over the PA.

The plane was fully boarded and ready to go at 8:15 am. The crew anticipates we’ll take off at 10:25 am. This, in pretty standard winter weather with only moderate snow.

Wow.

Edited to add: now 10:25. And we’re still sitting at the de-icing pad … waiting.

Last edited by Tobuz; Mar 2, 2024 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 11:11 PM

Moderate snow? Did you venture outside today? It’s been heavy all day. I was parked outside for less than 10 minutes and it was fully covered. The conditions on the ramp have been trash. It’s very easy to complain from the comforts of a warm terminal or a plane but keep in mind there’s actual people working outside in dangerous conditions to get you where you need too. Safety will ALWAYS come first.

I’m not doubting YYC needs improvement. But the weather is horrendous today and literally nothing can be done to make it faster no matter how pissy a UA pilot gets.

Additionally it wasn’t forecast to be this bad. Last night it was just “5cm” and today it’s been upped to upwards of 20+cm.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 4:51 AM
Scam Artist

That captain is full of SHIT.

United is too God damn cheap to pay for proper maintenance here, or to buy engine covers for the planes that RON here. They screwed themselves over and ALL FOUR Uniteds this morning had frozen engines because United is so stupid.

The airport is fining them the next time their stupidity ties up 4 of our gates all morning, so tell that captain to get stuffed, respectfully.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Moderate snow? Did you venture outside today? It’s been heavy all day.
Why, yes. I did. When I drove to YYC from the SW from 6:30 to 7am, side streets were snow covered, Stoney Trail was relatively clear, no snow was falling and I arrived in the normal time. Heavy snow didn’t start falling until later in the morning — about an hour or so after the flight’s scheduled 8:25 departure time. The weather wasn’t great at departure time, but it hadn’t turned bad yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
That captain is full of ****.

United is too God damn cheap to pay for proper maintenance here, or to buy engine covers for the planes that RON here. They screwed themselves over and ALL FOUR Uniteds this morning had frozen engines because United is so stupid.

The airport is fining them the next time their stupidity ties up 4 of our gates all morning, so tell that captain to get stuffed, respectfully.

He did a good job at keeping a MAX9 full of people with missed connections informed. He obviously wasn’t specific in who he was criticizing in his announcements (and he focused on apologizing, not bitching) … but I took his comments to refer to his employer’s set-up at YYC. He wasn’t criticizing the ramp agents. He was criticizing - diplomatically and cautiously- what his company has set up at YYC.

Methinks some accountant in Chicago is the problem. Not the pilot.

As for the time sitting on the deicing pad — I do a lot of winter flying, sometimes in nasty Calgary winter conditions, and today probably was the longest I’ve ever spent sitting on the pad with nothing happening. We parked, didn’t move, and no juice started spraying on the plane for a very long time. No idea what happened there, but it was definitely out of the norm.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobuz View Post
As for the time sitting on the deicing pad — I do a lot of winter flying, sometimes in nasty Calgary winter conditions, and today probably was the longest I’ve ever spent sitting on the pad with nothing happening. We parked, didn’t move, and no juice started spraying on the plane for a very long time. No idea what happened there, but it was definitely out of the norm.
Im not sure about in the morning, but for a few hours in the afternoon it was snowing hard enough that it was not possible to de ice.

Generally the YYC CDF is not great, very slow, and at a minimum they use double the fluid required, but I have seen up to 10x what is needed.

Sad when a frost spray is quicker in YVR.

Last edited by peytol; Mar 3, 2024 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:54 AM

I am in Yvr right now and have been waiting 30 min for deicing, we still have two planes in front of us. I fly 2-3 times a month to Yyc and it can be slow sometimes but I find they prepare a bit better for de icing and don’t have planes backed up as bad as Yvr.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:13 AM

Yes, to be clear YYC 100% has better de icing infrastructure vs YVR. Maybe I have just had bad luck in YYC but the speed at which they actually de ice the plane is much longer than elsewhere, kind of like in november when everyone is new, except it's March. Maybe they have really high turn over, the west pad seems much worse than the east.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:47 AM

With an airline summit coming to Calgary in May, CAPA has an article, in two parts highlighting the airport with a focus on privatization.

Part 1: https://centreforaviation.com/analys...art-one-677194

Part 2: https://centreforaviation.com/analys...art-two-677358

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 8:23 PM

A few seasonal resumptions this week:

FCO resumed Saturday, runs 2x weekly gradually building to daily
BNA resumes on Wednesday, 4x weekly gradually building to daily

NRT is back in just over 2 weeks as well. 4Y jumps from the current 5x weekly to 12x weekly at the end of the month.

----
Also February 2024 Stats are out:

Domestic: 863,324 +9.5% [YTD: 1,718,360 +7.3%]
Transborder: 275,331 +21.7% [YTD: 541,224 +21.7%]
International: 194,832 +10.8% [YTD: 394,702 +7.8%]

February Total: 1,333,487 +12.0%
2024 YTD: 2,654,286 +9.84%

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 12:46 AM

Looks like YYC-DFW is upped to 3x daily this summer on AA now (so far only showing for a couple weeks in early July though).

Edit: Maybe it's just an addition for the Stampede?

Last edited by hehehe; Mar 19, 2024 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:46 PM

And all 3 are on a 321. And yeah its schedule basically lines up exactly with the Stampede dates.

AA2122 DFW 12:20 - 15:30 YYC 321 D
AA2122 YYC 16:25 - 21:05 DFW 321 D

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 1:20 PM
Scam Artist

Man everything my AA insider has told me has been bang on. Nice to see them ramp up.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:26 AM
An Airline Employee @ YYC

Apparently PrimeFlight has lost the Air North contract and Executive Flight Centre will be taking over the ground handling in June.

A Former WingTipper

The opinions stated above are my own and not those of my current employer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 8:19 PM

In its first full winter ops, CDG had very good load factors and can possibly maybe even see it being increased to up to 5x weekly next year. It's already been upped to 4x for the entire winter rather than just peak periods like this year.

Starting Sunday, 4Y will be here twice a day five days a week. Effectively going from 5x weekly to 12x weekly.

4Y72 FRA 09:45 - 11:30 YYC 332/333 X26
4Y76 FRA 13:30 - 15:15 YYC 332/333 Daily

4Y73 YYC 13:15 - 06:55+1 FRA 332/333 X26
4Y77 YYC 17:00 - 10:40+1 FRA 332/333 Daily

WS resumes NRT on Wednesday 5x weekly (Running Wed-Sun)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 9:06 AM

Quote:
In its first full winter ops, CDG had very good load factors and can possibly maybe even see it being increased to up to 5x weekly next year. It's already been upped to 4x for the entire winter rather than just peak periods like this year.

Starting Sunday, 4Y will be here twice a day five days a week. Effectively going from 5x weekly to 12x weekly.

That’s great & Calgary YYC international passenger traffic should be strong and continue to grow✅!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:49 PM

Quote:

Seat wise I wonder if this is an increase from last years 7xAC & 4Y flights to FRA?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Seat wise I wonder if this is an increase from last years 7xAC & 4Y flights to FRA?
I think its roughly the same. However 4Y didn't start its season until May last year, so there is an additional 5x weekly FRA for the month of April.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWingTipper View Post
Apparently PrimeFlight has lost the Air North contract and Executive Flight Centre will be taking over the ground handling in June.
I used to work for Air North at YVR, and I remember when Wing Tips did their handling in YYC. Based on your username, I wonder if you ever worked on their flights? Very very interesting to work on from a ground handler POV, lots of uniqueness that separates them from AC and WS. Especially out of YVR, cargo is massive to YXY, and planning and how to load can be tricky because of the wide range of cargo heading up north. They would even load cargo in blocked out seats in the back of the passenger cabin itself, typically not something carriers from YVR would do (ie. AC, WS, or any international carrier). I think YYC and YEG had some cargo, but YVR is their main southern point so gets the most cargo to YXY. Anyways, good memories, I left long before PrimeFlight took over, were they the ones who took over from Wing Tips? Or was there even another handler in between?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 12:05 AM
Scam Artist

35L/17R now fully shut down for the runway rehab. Let the flow control begin.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:32 AM

Well UA finally reverted IAD back to seasonal. AC also reverted YVR-IAD to seasonal at the same time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure