HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 11:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Dallas has a Neiman Marcus. The 1st one actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neiman...p_store_01.jpg
whoops, thanks for the correction.

fixed.

anyone wanna do the northeast?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 11:41 PM

One correction for Salt Lake City.

There is also a Sears.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
anyone wanna do the northeast?
All downtown department stores? That's going to be a long list.

In the NYC area, excluding NYC

Garden City- Lord & Taylor, Sears
White Plains- Saks, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macys, Sears
Greenwich- Saks, Richards
Westport- Mitchells
Stamford- Lord & Taylor, Macys
Norwalk- Bloomingdales
Hackensack- Sears
Westfield- Lord & Taylor
Morristown- Century 21

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
All downtown department stores?
No, just the major cities.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:15 AM
Never Dell

Barney's in Seattle is so small I don't even know where it is. Certainly not a department store.

Otherwise I'd add Target. It's far more appropriate than Barney's, at least our version of the latter.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
going through the larger southern cities:

Miami:
- macy's
Saks is set to open in a few months at Brickell CityCentre.
A 2nd Macy's and Bloomingdales have been in the works for years at Miami World Center but that project has been floundering as of late and they may both pull out. But at least the Saks is a certainty.

Also I guess if you are including other urban "downtown's" you would include the South Beach Macy's as well (just 2 miles from the Downtown Miami Macy's)

Downtown West Palm Beach has a Macy's but its in a modern lifestyle center rather than some historic structure.

The Fort Lauderdale Galleria right outside of downtown has a Macy's and Neiman Marcus but in a mall format.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:24 AM
them bones

Santa Barbara has a downtown Macy's, nordstrom and a Saks (i think I heard that Saks may be closing?)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
One correction for Salt Lake City.

There is also a Sears.
that sears in SLC is a strip mall variety on the outskirts of downtown.

it doesn't count for the purposes of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Barney's in Seattle is so small I don't even know where it is. Certainly not a department store.
ok, i didn't know that. i'll remove it.

Quote:
Otherwise I'd add Target.
target uses a different retail model than "traditional downtown department stores", that's why i didn't include downtown targets for any city.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:24 PM
good time not a long time

Couldn't you count REI's flagship store for downtown Seattle? I know it's a specialized Co-Op but the size and layout are essentially a dept store. I also think Denver has a REI flagship but I don't know if it is really close enough to be considered "downtown".

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:45 PM

For Manhattan-

Macys
Saks- Midtown
Saks- Downtown
Lord & Taylor
Barneys Uptown
Barneys Downtown
Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom
JC Penney
Bloomingdales Uptown
Bloomingdales Downtown
Century 21
Bergdorf Goodman

Does Henri Bendel count? the flagship is kind of like Gumps in SF, but women's retail and accessories, mostly.
Nordstrom supposedly coming downtown to 1 Wall St., but no official confirmation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:55 PM

For Brooklyn-

Downtown
Macys Fulton Street
Century 21

Bay Ridge
Century 21

Flatbush
Sears (street level urban but has parking lot)

Does Kings Plaza count? Quasi-urban mall

JC Penney in Gateway Plaza is suburban format and doesn't count.

For Bronx-

Macys- Parkchester-

Macys and JC Penney- in Bay Plaza; same issue as Kings Plaza in Brooklyn (not really urban but not suburban)

For Queens-

Macys Flushing

Century 21 Rego Park
Sears Rego Park

Macys and JCPenney Queens Center- I would count this, as more urban than Kings Plaza and Bay Plaza, as oriented to subway system despite parking.

Macys in Douglaston is too suburban and doesn't count

Staten Island

Macys, JCPenney and Sears are all in suburban-style mall, so doesn't count

Jersey City-

Newport Centre has Macys, JCPenney and Sears, and has same issues as Kings Plaza and Bay Plaza- not fully urban nor suburban.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:56 PM
Never Dell

If the concept is clothing and other general merchandise, I'd include Target way ahead of clothing-dominated stores like Barney's, Saks, Nordstrom, etc.

REI is basically sporting goods, though it's also a general purpose casual clothing store. Seattle's is an extension of REI's HQ and I believe their largest. The building is 104,000 sf of which 80,000 is apparently sales floor.

I don't know about the other stores here, but what's the standard for a department store in this thread? Can Seattle add Ross, Nordstrom Rack, and TJ Maxx? Is there a square footage requirement? Are price levels treated equally?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Also I guess if you are including other urban "downtown's" you would include the South Beach Macy's as well (just 2 miles from the Downtown Miami Macy's)
Yeah. I'm not sure exactly what kind of list we're compiling, but South Beach Macy's is urban, historical, iconic and whatever else a downtown location would be.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:21 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
If the concept is clothing and other general merchandise, I'd include Target way ahead of clothing-dominated stores like Barney's, Saks, Nordstrom, etc.

REI is basically sporting goods, though it's also a general purpose casual clothing store. Seattle's is an extension of REI's HQ and I believe their largest. The building is 104,000 sf of which 80,000 is apparently sales floor.

I don't know about the other stores here, but what's the standard for a department store in this thread? Can Seattle add Ross, Nordstrom Rack, and TJ Maxx? Is there a square footage requirement? Are price levels treated equally?
For reference, Denver REI Flagship is 90,000 sqft. Not sure how much is dedicated to sales (vast majority).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:24 PM

I'm not sure the situation in the UK is all that different from the US, to be honest. The "downtown" (i.e., city center) are generally in the places you'd expect them to be, and then there are a bunch of freestanding suburban ones.

Taking John Lewis (kind of a Macy's equivalent) as an example, you've got the big Oxford Street flagship and Peter Jones in Sloane Square (which kept the name of an acquired store but is the same thing) in central London, and some others that you might consider urban around greater London, and downtown stores in places like Manchester and Edinburgh.

Then you've got stuff like the Cribb's Causeway location in Bristol: http://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops/cribbs-causeway

I don't know if the trend is towards center city locations closing in favor of malls, but the lack of a location in central Bristol (a city of 450k and a metro area of 1 million, with a fairly strong economy) would lead indicate that this is probably the case.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Then you've got stuff like the Cribb's Causeway location in Bristol: http://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops/cribbs-causeway
Wow. Except for the street signs and cars, this could be a random mall in suburban Ohio.

I guess the continent, on the whole, has retained a greater share of high street shopping? I'm not sure I've ever seen a mall like Cribb's Causeway in Germany.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Yeah. I'm not sure exactly what kind of list we're compiling
i was just trying to see how many traditional department stores were left in the downtowns of america's larger cities. not big box retailers like target, k-mart, wal-mart, etc. nor discounters like tj maxx, marshalls, ross, etc.

just regular old big department stores with an urban format (or urban-like format in the case of urban malls) located within the downtowns of america's larger cities.

if you want to make another list that includes other kinds of stores and/or non-downtown urban locations in secondary/tertiary nodes, have at it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
I didn't really think of Target as being an actual department store as opposed to a discount store, but now that you mention it, in some ways they do carry on that legacy more than some of the big department store names.

At one time the big department stores sold just about anything, but these days the focus is very much on clothing and maybe housewares... the focus is narrower the higher up the food chain you go, too.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'm not sure the situation in the UK is all that different from the US, to be honest. The "downtown" (i.e., city center) are generally in the places you'd expect them to be, and then there are a bunch of freestanding suburban ones.

Taking John Lewis (kind of a Macy's equivalent) as an example, you've got the big Oxford Street flagship and Peter Jones in Sloane Square (which kept the name of an acquired store but is the same thing) in central London, and some others that you might consider urban around greater London, and downtown stores in places like Manchester and Edinburgh.

I don't know if the trend is towards center city locations closing in favor of malls, but the lack of a location in central Bristol (a city of 450k and a metro area of 1 million, with a fairly strong economy) would lead indicate that this is probably the case.
Seems to me that the UK is still the land of the department store. Not sure why you would use one example of a chain when there are plenty of other department stores in central Bristol.

A quick search turns up Debenhams, BHS, House of Fraser, Marks & Spencer and even a Harvey Nichols.

Last edited by SHiRO; Feb 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:28 PM
The City

Didn't Lake Forest, IL have a downtown Macy's dept store (or was in Marshall Field's?) until recently?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions